Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Rothko's Rooms / Mark Rothko
Safety Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

on October 24, 2010
I was a student of Mark Rothko at Brooklyn College and it was "Mr. Rothko" who showed me the wonder of creating art.
To me he was kind, generous, and eager for students to understand his very abstract perceptions of painting. Few students did and he had to continuously overcome human hurdles in teaching and in the art world in general.

The film is very well done and I enjoyed seeing the many people speaking about Rothko the artist, parent, and the troubled man, but while it is excellent and I recommend it for all to see, it did not convey how his profound inner life had to reconcile with those around him, those who did not fully understand what he was trying to achieve. and what he must have suffered inwardly as a lone artistic pioneer. But that is the fate of creative souls. Only after his passing did people realize what a treasure they knew and could have appreciated more while he was alive.

To me Mr. Rothko was always fatherly. He listened to me and took an interest in my work, even though I was a naive girl from Brooklyn. He listened because I appreciated what he had to say. How many in the art world - gallery owners, and fellow painters -- were really interested then in his esoteric ideas of color, shape, and space and how these artistic elements convey the profound forces of nature in our physical world.

Roberta Carasso, Ph.D.
1010 comments|98 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 1, 2011
In the late 1940s, Mark Rothko explained, "The people who weep before my pictures are having the same religious experience as I had when I painted them."

Of course, he's well known for creating wall-scale abstract paintings that filled the viewer's field of vision and became a form of environment.

With penetrating interviews from his daughter Kate and his son Christopher, this documentary is the best and most clear explanation on the famous Seagram's murals, and his now dedicated room at London's Tate Modern.

Rothko was with the period of Abstract Expressionists who wanted to be unique. Existentialism was a popular influence on the painters' intellectual search.

Imagine sitting in the center of a private room at The Tate, literally surrounded by huge Rothkos and listening to Mozart's Don Giovanni or Brahm's 3rd Symphony. You'll see and hear it all on this well produced DVD.

[...]
on August 2, 2011
It indeed is a fine documentary tracing his steps from the early years into abstract expressionist. Interesting to note his personal view of both himself and how his art should be viewed.

The photography gives us some real eye-candy to enjoy for the hour as well as stimulating discussion from his daughter and others in the know.
on March 31, 2009
When I finally had the opportunity to see this film on television. I was quite amazed by it. But saddened that it was only an hour long. The interviews are tremendous, as you get to see Kate Rothko sitting in front of a great dark painting of her Father's, as she speaks of him.

I really don't wanna say too much about it. I will let it speak for itself.

One thing I do wanna find out before purchasing this is, are there ANY extras to the DVD version of this. Or is it just a DVD version of what I saw on television?
on March 17, 2015
See my review on the Robert Motherwell documentary. The same applies for this documentary as well. One of the more interesting things that I noticed about the successful artists from the New York school of Abstract Expressionism is that many of them suffered from what we would today refer to as bipolar disease. This caused much mental disorder, alcoholism, and caused several of the more prominent of them to commit suicide. Tragic, yes, but part of what it requires to be a great artist, it seems. Some of the greatest of all time where bipolar: from van Gogh to Pollock, Toulouse-Lautrec to Mark Rothko, while many others suffered some form of mental disease/disorder. An unfortunate byproduct of genius? Lord, I hope not. ;-)
on November 20, 2011
Interesting film, but there is not much there that's really new to those who are already familiar with that very impressive painter. Most of the comments are simply laudatory. It's worth seeing in any case.
on June 10, 2014
Thoroughly enjoy watching this film biography over and over. Until owning this dvd on Rothko I did not have a full appreciation of the masterful talent of Rothko.
on June 12, 2015
Timely delivered and as advertised. It lead me to Houston to see the Rothko Chapel. Thanks.
on February 2, 2015
If you are interested of Rothko's work this is a good option where you can learn about his life and work.
Depends on everyones taste but I really enjoyed the documentary
on May 4, 2016
This is a wonderful thoughtful film, about the work of Rothko. I have watched it several times. Each time with pleasure, feeling a sense of discovery.