Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: rOtring ArtPen, Replacement Ink Cartridges, 6-pack
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

Size: 6-pack|Style: Replacement Ink Cartridges|Change
Price:$3.87+ Free shipping (Addon item)

on October 4, 2012
My pen name is Tony Millionaire. I use nothing but this pen for ALL my cartooning and comics work (Maakies, Drinky Crow, Sock Monkey). It is reliable. The nib starts to soften after months of drawing, so it "gives" a little, enabling you to make a wider line with pressure. If I need a fine line, I roll the pen over and use the back of the nib. I don't use the cartridges that come in the box, they are watery and gray. I buy the good black cartridges on Ebay, they come in plastic bags. GREAT PEN! Don't know what I'll do if they ever stop making it.
on June 1, 2013
Years ago (45 or so) I did a lot of calligraphy, but in the interim, I have pursued new hobbies and let my cherished calligraphy pens languish unused. Who knew that the manufacturer of my pens would vanish, the internal parts would freeze up or rot out and I would have to go seeking new pens when a friend suggested I take a calligraphy course with her. I started out with a couple of inexpensive fountain pen styles, not wanting to carry my old Speedball dip pens and an ink bottle with me to class and not wanting to put a lot of money into returning to a hobby that my more mature hands might not enjoy (carpal tunnel). But it's no fun working with bad equipment. A local art supply store had the finer 1.1 Rotring pen and I found it to be a smooth writing, fun to use pen. Local pursuit of the wider nibs, however, proved fruitless and then I found this set on Amazon. I would have given them 5 stars, but I like to post the cover on the pen and I found it impossible with the Rotring pens. I'll get over it. The plastic box they come in has little grooves for each nib and cover and you can store the pen with its nib and cover on. I found there was space for a ruler and a 4H pencil for drawing lines under the plastic, so I can carry everything I need for class with me in the one case. The nibs are smooth writing, the ink is very black, but not waterproof, so I may look into a converter and bottled ink. Meantime I'm enjoying my calligraphy class and my carpal tunnel only acts up if I write too long; ice helps.
on March 2, 2012
As a writer/illustrator I have used hundreds of ink pen brands (expensive, overpriced, affordable, cheapish, etc.). The Rotring ArtPen EF is by far the best I've ever had. I call it "drawing instrument" because it is accurate, reliable, and easy to maintain--if you don't abuse it or misuse it. It produces fantastic hairline variations that don't look technical, as if made with drafting rapidographs. If you don't want to use the universal ink cartridges that come with it, buy an ink converter and pump it with whatever ink you prefer. However, I suggest using only "prescribed" ink, or you might clog it beyond repair, and not even chemical cleaners would save it. I use this pen only for extra-fine details in my illustrations, and I love it.
on November 23, 2008
I've had this pen for about 5 years now. I use it daily, and have had absolutely no difficulties with it. My only complaint is that the top can't be attached anywhere on the pen body, so it must be put 'somewhere'. Unfortunately, that 'somewhere ends up being lost under other items on my desk!

Excellent pen, and well worth the rather steep purchase price. The less expensive pens I've purchased in the past have all worn out or have become deformed - not this one! Shop around, and you can usually find a pretty good price.
on February 3, 2013
Fabulous drawing pen! Not inexpensive, but great quality and it's very versatile..Much more durable than a Rapidograph pen, and the cartridge system is very convenient, makes pen easier to clean and will make pen last alot longer...
on July 21, 2011
After using the Rotring Art Pen in Extra Fine nib, I really like this pen for sketching. The nib is flexible enough to be able to do very fine hatching strokes, and it's very reliable for this price range. No difficulty with loading ink from the ink converter. I didn't buy it here, but from an art supply store (price is a bit less). I highly recommend using the ink converter so you can fill in your own ink. I love using brown and red ink when sketching. For this price range, this is a great pen for sketching. For me, I love it so much I now have 2 in extra fine nibs, and 1 in fine nib.

The nib is not as flexible as Namiki or Omas or Sailor, but it works well enough for what I want to use it for.
on November 13, 2011
This pen is worth every penny for calligraphy and drawing. And it is a luxurious pleasure if all you want to do is write or doodle with it.

For over 30 years now I have tried every pen imaginable, from sophisticated technical drafting pens to cheap ball points. I was interested in being a professional inking artist, and while my art career has taken a different direction with the advent of digital mediums, I still have a passion for drawing in ink. The cartridges make it cost effective in the long run, and accessories allow you to use any kind of ink you want with it.

I love this pen.
VINE VOICEon December 12, 2015
I do a lot of inking and, as such, have a myriad of pens. To give you some background, I have: two Rotring Rapidograph College Sets, 4 Pilot Parallel Pens, the full line of Copic Multiliner SP, a Pentel Pocket Brush and Large Brush Pen, a Rotring Variant Varioscript set from the 60s and a box of Microns somewhere.

I've always liked the reliability and build quality of the Rotrings, but they can be a hassle to clean, so my go-to pens are typically the Multiliner SP and the Pentel Pocket Brush. I have a standard crow quill that I use occasionally, but I'm lazy so I don't get it, and the ink well, out as much as I should. I recently stumbled upon this and decided to give it a try. It lives up to my expectations and the Rotring name. As other reviews have mentioned, it takes a bit to break in. Apply some pressure to get those thick blacks and soon the tension on the tip will ease up a bit. I love the versatility of it. It's like having several technical pens in one. I no longer have to bring a handful of multiliners with me on the go. I grab the ArtPen and my Pentel Pocket Brush and I'm set. As another reviewer mentioned, you can flip the pen over to get finer lines (brilliant suggestion!). It's lightweight but solid and easy to throw in your backpack or pocket.

Ink is the nice deep blacks I expect from Rotring. You can buy the cartridge refills or the inkwell converter. I opted for the converter as it's cheaper and less wasteful. The pen comes with two cartridges so you have some time to decided. Cartridge longevity is impressive. You can put Rotring ink in the converter or buy your favorite brand and use it. Absolutely in love with the pen!
on July 6, 2013
I do some calligraphy and am also into "Zentangles". I like the Pigma micron pens for the Zentangles, but wanted something to use for fine lines in Old English and other ornate scripts. I hated the idea of going back to dip pens for just these lines, as I like to be fully portable and hate carrying an ink bottle around. This pen is smooth writing and drawing right out of the handy tin box. I've added an ink converter to use Noodler's bulletproof black ink and the combination is unbeatable. All my Rotring pens are smooth and comfortable. At first I was taken back by the inability to post the cap on the pen while writing, but have overcome that. I use kneadable rubber erasers to remove fine pencil guidelines and took a tiny piece of the eraser, rolled it into an even tinier rope, placed it on the pen end where the cap would sit if it was posted, made sure a thin layer of the eraser went all the way around the pen and posted the cap. For my hands, posting the cap balances the pen better; the eraser holds the cap in place and when finished, I just remove the eraser cleanly, ball it up and store it in the tin with the pen for the next time. I'm still using the same piece for better than three months and there is no damage to the pen or cap. When I say a tiny piece, I mean a ball about 3mm in diameter or less, rolled into a rope of about 2mm and wrapped around the pen.
on February 28, 2007
This is fantastich!

Everything good about a pen is here; weight in hand, smoothness, flow, and even grip, despite a lack of that 'gummy' stuff that's so popular now. I love ROtring nibs, and this one is no different. They're durable as all get-out and have an iridium tip that sets them a class above plain old steel, although they aren't top of the line gold-plated.

The bad thing is that the pen can't be topped. You can't put the cap on the top once you take it off. I should have noticed this, of course, but I didn't, and it's really annoying because I have to put it in my pocket when I don't have a desk. Also, the pen itself is pretty long and didn't fit in my coat pocket. I thought about putting a hole in the pocket just to fit it because I loved it so much, but then I left it in Tennessee....