4.0 out of 5 stars Great Mandolin for beginners
Published on October 31, 2010 by Keith F Garcia

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor Quality--even for the money!
Published on August 4, 2009 by C. Register

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor Quality--even for the money!, August 4, 2009
This review is from: Rover RM-25 Student Series A Model Mandolin (Maple Top) (Electronics)
I know some might say, "What do you expect for the price?" Well, I expect more than two weeks' worth of play time, that's what. So yeah, two whole weeks--I could have rented one cheaper than that. And, it would have been leaps and bounds over this one. The action is, of course, way too high, so I had to adjust the bridge. The only thing is the bridge isn't too adjustable. Add to this whole debacle the fact that the strings are of the absolute poorest quality. Now, I get to replace the bridge and the strings. Wasn't I supposed to be saving money by paying less? The ONLY decent thing about this thing is that it has a maple top, but mine had a big ugly knot right on the face of it. It looks like a big ugly mole. So yeah, poor quality and poor appearance make for a poor quality instrument--even for the price! With instruments, you really get what you pay for.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Mandolin for beginners, October 31, 2010
Keith F Garcia (Philadelphia, PA United States) - See all my reviews
One day I wanted to learn an instrument. My first instrument! I went to a local folk shop and I found an old bowl back mandolin. I loved it...it was old as heck but it worked out for about 2 years before someone sat on it at a party and ended its life. I paid a hundo on it. So I went back to the shop and saw this wonderful A-style for only 90 bucks and went with it. I took it home, and was in love! It played 10 times better than the old potato bug(a vintage vernon), it was smooth and fun. It motivated me to learn tons of fiddles and chords. The action is a little high, but if you're just starting out it doesn't matter-you don't even notice it. Maybe if you are an experienced guitar player moving into mandolin you might notice it. But whatever, you learn to adjust, and when you're ready to move up to the next level of mandolins-say a Big Muddy or a Kentucky, you'll thank the Rover for helping you become worthy of them.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's just okay, not great, August 28, 2013
The tailpiece cover for the mandolin keeps popping off. Won't stay on. Otherwise, instrument is fine. It's good for a beginner.

5.0 out of 5 stars great beginner mandolin, July 28, 2013
as a beginner mandolin to mess around with this is perfect it has a nice sound and the maple top is gorgeous

1.0 out of 5 stars BAD SOUND! Not a good mandolin., May 23, 2012
Had a bad sound on 2 of the strings. I know it is a hassle to return stuff, so didn't even try. My son in law said this
had 2 faulty holders for the strings which made a twangy, flimsy sound. I would not buy again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good beginner mandolin, July 23, 2012
i've noticed that the reviews i've read on this instrument are mixed, people either love it or hate it. my advice to anyone looking at this instrument is to see if you have a local store that might carry it since it seems that the initial set up is a little tricky. that's how i got mine, it was professionally set up to play in the store and i was able to take as much time playing it as i wanted before i brought it home. it's still not the same animal as a 500 dollar mando but for what i paid i'm very happy with it. the tuning pegs aren't as responsive as a more expensive model, but it stays in tune well once its there. i would call the tone mellow compared to some of the other instruments i played, but that's how i like it. the action on the fret board is very light and responsive, and it's very easy to play gracenotes and slurs.

in a nutshell, i would recommend this over all the other brands of instrument i played in this price range. hope this helps out. happy playing.