Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This iron replaces the Black & Decker D2030 Digital Advantage we were very happy with. But that iron has seen use and now the spray nozzle is clogged. Just the excuse to get a new iron. So how does this one compare to that highly rated iron? Here are pros and cons:

Pros:
* Precision tip works really to get into the corners.
* Cord stays out of the way nicely.
* Does a good getting the wrinkles out.
* Delivers a good amount of steam.
* Digital light telling you when the iron is hot enough.
* Electronic shut-off.
* Vertical steam function (probably not going to replace a dedicated steam machine if you need one, but nice to have in a pinch).
* Scratch resistant, stainless steel hot plate.

Cons:
* Steam is non-adjustable. Steam adjustment is not independently set from temperature. That was a nice a feature on the B&D.
* Light does not tell you when it is done going from a hot temp to a cooler one.
* Does not include a water pitcher to aid filling it. (A minor gripe but it's a nice to have.)

Debatable:
* Digital temp setting (Black & Decker) versus dial setting (Rowenta).
* Does not beep letting you know it is hot. Maybe you're used to this and are looking for this feature.

Summary:
This is a very nice iron that gets the core of what an iron should be good at right - it does a great job getting the wrinkles out and includes some nice features to help in that area. Where it stumbles slightly is in not including some nice ease-of-use features that cheaper irons like the Black & Decker include.
on September 27, 2010
I had borrowed a Rowenta Iron when on vacation in Europe and was really happy with it. When I got back I bought one. Previously I had purchased a string of cheaper B&D irons but they eventually were fail in one way or another. So much so that I would buy two so I had one as a backup. Anyway, back to Rowenta, my previous one was not top of the line I think about $60 to $70; they had some that were a lot more expensive. I used it for years and loved it. It heated up quickly, made lots of steam and did not drip or sputter like the B&D's did. You did have to be careful when doing delicates as when you first turn it on it would over shoot on the initial climb to temp. Once the thermostat kicked out for the first time it would regulate properly.

Unfortunately in the last few years the iron did get dropped a few times and it started to leak. If you filled the reservoir: overnight the reservoir would slowly leak water which would accumulate in the base on which it stands. When you first tipped the iron over, to turn it on, the water would leak out of the base. Just a few ounces, but it became annoying enough that I decided to buy a new one.

So now I have this one and everything is great. Made in Germany (not China). I was not crazy about the color, but it felt lighter and less cluttered than some of the other models. I want a solid iron, good heat, good steam and the shiny stainless bottom. Oh, and the most important thing for me is the AUTO SHUT OFF. It shuts off if left upright unattended for eight minutes and thirty seconds of left on its side or flat. I think that is THE most important feature as nobody turns anything electrical off in this house. One less thing to worry about.

When reading the instructions for my new iron it says that you should NOT use distilled water in the iron as it might cause it to leak. I had always used distilled water so it might not have the falls that caused the old one to leak, but the distilled water. It also says not to use ultra soft water as it may also affect the steam output. So, now that I've read the instructions I won't be using distilled water in my new iron.
VINE VOICEon February 14, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
We've "suffered" with a Black and Decker iron for a few years. While it worked it just wasn't doing a great job and for the longest time, we didn't want to invest in a new iron if it wasn't broken. Well, it finally broke so we tried the Rowenta DW4060 and, wow, it is like night and day.

The iron is a joy to use. Not only does it heat up quickly, it also steams very well. I can actually iron without starch with this iron. The narrow tip is excellent for getting around buttons and tight areas. There are a lot of settings but we mainly use it on the higher settings and it has done a great job each time. Auto Shutoff works as normal and iron is rather lightweight.

This Iron has been excellent and I've not picked up a can of starch since having it. I can highly recommend this iron.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 27, 2010
I just bought this iron yesterday, and it's much better than any iron I've ever used. I'm usually a little afraid of irons because the ones I've used have made scary noises, but this one doesn't do that. It doesn't spit or sound like it's going to explode, it just sits there, clicks its "heating up" light on, and then clicks off when it's ready to use. It only took about 30 seconds to heat up on the highest setting. During use, when I set it down to adjust my clothing, it took about 5-8 second to heat back up.

I decided on a the Rowenta DW8080 first because more people had reviewed and liked that model, but after a fiasco involving white mineral stains and major leaking on day 1, I returned it. I'm so happy I decided to go with this model instead.

Cons: After using the 8080, I can see the differences in design. The 8080 had a better designed water intake cap, steam switches, and a lot more holes for more steam. Considering my disastrous experience with the 8080, I don't really mind these small things, so I still give it a 5. Like I said, it's still better than any other iron I've used.

Pros: It's much easier to see the water level on the Acti model. Although it doesn't steam as much as that 8080, I don't think I would ever need it to steam more than it does. There is a button to push for extra steam, which works very well for suborn wrinkles.

I recommend this model...don't make the mistake I did and go with a different model just because it has more reviews.
VINE VOICEon June 25, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This Rowenta has a lot going for it and is a lot better in many ways than my old Panasonic iron. This iron is probably 20 percent lighter, which makes ironing noticeably less tiring and labor intensive. I think this is because the smooth silver plate is thinner. Despite the lighter weight, I find with the help of the steam function, I don't need to press hard to get the wrinkles out.

The steam feature on this iron is really effective. There are more holes and the steam comes out in nice big clouds and easily blasts out the wrinkles. However as a result, I find it goes through water about twice as fast as my old iron, but that is because it is actually steaming like it should. I always use distilled water to prevent buildup. I can probably iron 4 pair of pants on high steam before having to refill the tank.

Most of what I iron are cotton items like chinos and t-shirts. I simply set it to cotton and it heats up very fast and works like a charm. The nose plate is pointy which is an added bonus for getting into creases and other tough to reach spots. I like this iron very much and would recommend.
on July 13, 2010
I recently purchased this iron at Target and I am really happy with the results. The steaming action took the wrinkles out of my shirt immediately. It's versatile and not too heavy. PLUS, it's not made in China, but in Germany. I am very very happy with my Rowenta Acti Steam Iron.
on October 21, 2010
Excellent service item arrived earlier than expected. This iron was worth every penny. This was the most expensive iron I ever bought. I had tried Sunbeams, BD and Hamilton Beach iron all were very dissapointing. I was tired on having to iron the same spot over and over before it actually looked a little iron. Now with the Rowenta Acti Steam Iron I was very pleased. I finally decide to invest a little more money. This morning I used this the Rowenta Acti Steam Iron and I was totally amazed. I pressed that steam button and Whoosh it was just amazing. I just had to go over the one spot once and it was nicely ironed like if it had been done at a cleaners. So for all of the consumers that are struggling with the ironing, if you find yourself ironing a spot over and over again, this is defietly the iron for you. I did a lot of research before I bought this one. apparently this is model is one of the few made in Germany. some of the Rowenta are made in are made in China. But this particular model is made in Germany and is better.
VINE VOICEon May 21, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I do alot of sewing and I still iron my clothes! I love Rowenta irons. This is my 2nd one ( the other works fine I wanted to upgrade) . I especially like the self clean feature on this iron and the way the tip of the iton is shaped so you can get into tight spots ( which is the case in a lot of things I sew) . You pretty much have control over everything with this iron. You want steam you will get steam!! The water resivoir is substantial. I like the how the cord moves and is not stationary where connected to the iron.It is light weight yet does a fantastic job. I always iron my scrubs for work, because I do not put them in the dryer they of course will have wrinkles.I have several pieces of clothing that are 100% cotton and this iron does a fabulous job on them.The price is very reasonable. Highly recommend.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
My old iron is 7 years old and was one of the best irons I have ever owned, but it was time to be replaced...and I selected this one. I was skeptical because it did not have a teflon-coated face so I was scared that it would scorch or melt if too hot. I have had no issues with it. It heats up fast and has worked as expected. I iron every morning and whether it is cotton shirts, wool slacks or silk ties- I have had no problems. The iron is slightly heavier than my previous iron, but is balanced so that you do not feel like you are constantly fighting it.
VINE VOICEon June 19, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The Rowenta DW4060 Auto Steam Iron is an attractive and nicely weighted/balanced iron. With a shiny stainless steel soleplate, ironing is smooth and quick with no drag like I've had with some of the non-stick soleplates I've used in the past. One extremely nice feature is the narrow tip (that also has steam vents), which makes getting into those difficult places like shirt cuffs, much easier.

I was impressed with how quickly the iron heated up and it steams garments vertically nicely. This eliminates the need for a separate steamer and in fact, does a nicer job than my old steamer! The iron has a 30 second turn-off safety feature that activates when the iron is left on horizontally, and an 8 minute turn-off when the iron is left on vertically. This is a great feature for college students, but when sewing and pressing as one goes, this can be a bit of a pain.

I do like the steam features, especially the extra holes in the tip of the iron. I can really get some nice presses on the cuffs of hubby's dress shirts. I am having some issues with sputtering and the iron leaves wet spots on my clothes while using the steam. I've been over the booklet and haven't found a solution to that problem yet. There isn't any type of steam adjustment - just a heavy full steam and this sucks up the water quickly. I found I had to keep refilling while ironing hubby's shirts. That was a pain. The fill hole is not the easiest to access and the iron has to be held at an awkward angle. Surprisingly, a fill cup was not included.

I really don't care for the dial temperature setting. It's located under the handle and is not easy to see the markings. I'm also not impressed with the picture directions that came with the iron. There are a few written instructions, but I'd prefer them written out with a few illustrations.

Overall, my rating for the Rowenta DW4060 Auto Steam Iron is 3.5 stars.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations