on September 4, 2011
I have a Rowenta iron and love it. Based on my experience with the brand, I bought the pro-compact steamer. It's awful. They boast how quickly the water heats and steams, but what they DON'T tell you is that you get 5 seconds of steam. Then you have to wait another 10, 15, sometimes 20 seconds for more steam.

(not an exaggeration, I've counted many times)

This may seem like a short period of time, but when you're trying to get ready to go somewhere, it makes a difference. You end up getting less done and waiting around more. I've experimented with varying levels of water in the machine, allowing it to run longer, changed the height at which I'm steaming something... nothing works.

If you're looking for something to fill your time and days with, this might be the machine for you. But if you've got better things to do with your time, you might want to get a different steamer.
on January 23, 2012
It is a great brand and it looks cool but it will get you at the end. For a couple months it worked good. Yeah, the steam was on, then off for several seconds, then back. That was not a big issue for me. At times it would leave your clothes wet. I kinda learn to avoid it from happening. However, one day it just stopped working. I tried to clean it with vinegar as directed by the IT people but nothing. It got clogged and it got worse everyday. Id suggest you to buy another one. I'm looking for a new one myself.
on December 27, 2008
I received this steamer as a wedding gift. I previously owned the Conair steamer. I'm very pleased with this steamer. Firstly, I like that it is compact and both the cord and the hose are able to be wrapped neatly. I think the key to steaming is to be patient. I make sure the hose is really steaming before I start. I use this to steam silky blouses I wear to work, my husbands more casual button-up shirts, and both of our work slacks. For my blouses and our trousers, the steamer works great. If you steam from the inside of the garment and slowly drag the hoze down, it works really well. The attachments have a carrying bag so they are easily stored, and it's really easy to attach the creaser. It doesn't give you as sharp creases as an iron would, but it works well for my purposes. There was only slight leaking, but far better than my previous steamer. As long as you keep the hose extended it won't leak too much. For the price, I think this is a pretty great steamer. I would definitely recommend this if you're looking for a compact steamer.
on November 22, 2008
DO NOT purchase this product. The hose on mine melted while in use and hot water was all over my foot. Found other users had the same problem after reading other review. Very unsafe.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 26, 2009
Received this for Christmas and has been a disappointment. As one reviewer said, I suspect quality control issue as well. To those users of units that do NOT leak, please respond... Is there a gasket or o-ring anywhere around the connection of your hose to unit? Mine does not have one, and I'm wondering if there should be. Look at the L-shaped hose connector. I see it has two grooves that meet up with same in the unit, but no rubber-ish gasket. It's just plastic to plastic. Every time it "hiccups" as mentioned from others, it shoots out boiling hot water all over the floor. Watch your feet! Thank you for any intel!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 6, 2008
(T - This product rapidly degenreated into a gurgling, sputtering demon emitting desperately intermittant steam. YOu can't steam a single garment in less than 45 minutes.)

My instant reaction to the Rowenta steamer, was... FINALLY! Someone knows how to produce a product that is good-looking, that considers secondary aspects of the products use, and that is reasonably priced. Compare this to the serious dud Conair offers, which is really their bathroom steamer repackaged for use with clothes.

I like this product very much. This is what the present should look like in terms of design, instead of some goofy, tear-drop shaped, wheeled clunker (Conair) whose use is absurd. It looks like Dieter Rams designed it. And as I said, thought was expended on how it is used; a very generous bag of accessories is supplied. It's a slick little unit.

The cloth-patterned hose is a nice surprise that cannot be cheap to make. Mine heats up in the 2-1/2 minutes it promised, and the hic-cups another user complained about, come from using hard water which the instructions explicitly advise againt. Perhaps mine will develop the problems others have noted, but as for now: Well Done! The thought was appreciated, Rowenta!
on March 2, 2012
Verified Purchase
Hi,
I just want you to know how much I appreciate what you have done. I bought this Steamer for my daughter who lives in a different city. It was a Christmas present. By the time she open it, tried to used and let me know that it didn't work, it beyond your normal return time frame. I wrote to you and tried to explain the problem and only hoped for some kind of pro-rated refund.

Man did you surprise me! No pro-rated refund, full refund and shipping. I have been busy lately, and by the time I went to check my email on the situation, there was a new Steamer sitting on my front porch. You are Fast and Generous.

Thank you, you can count me a return customer, GJE
on September 23, 2010
I've never used a steamer before but I love this one! Really easy to use, very lightweight ans compact. I find it impossible to iron women's dress shirts, shaped skirts, etc. but this steamer makes it really easy. You just hang up the article of clothing and run the brush over it to steam out all the wrinkles.
on January 5, 2015
Verified Purchase
I read many of the reviews before I purchased this steamer. If you choose to believe some of them, then it will appear as if this steamer is mediocre or no good. I strongly disagree. I have used it several times and I love it ! People...... if you buy any type of garment steamer, you are buying a mini steam generator. Its going to get hot, sputter and spit. If you don't realize this, don't buy one. Walk into this purchase realizing this and you will have a completely different opinion when you use it.

A few observations........ 1- yes, the machine does have a very strong plastic odor when you first take it out of the package, and the odor is there when you are using it, with full steam. Doesn't your new car have an out gassing plastic smell too for a long time? You work around it. 2- Read ALL the directions. Everything you need to know is there. Including the fact that, like all steam carrying hoses, the hose on this model also needs to be straightened out every once in a while to allow the water that has accumulated in there to run back into the main unit water tank. This is a mini steam generator that relies on gravity to return the accumulated condensed water in the flex hose. Keep the main unit on the floor, and after a few minutes of usage on your garments just simply lift the hose straight up so any of the extra water in the hose can run back down into the main unit tank. Yes it will still sputter a bit, and gurgle, and throw a couple of drops of distilled water on your garment. The water will evaporator very quickly. 3- Just use clean water (I use distilled) and your good to go. 4- Realize that heat/steam rises. Keep your hands away from the rising and exiting steam from the steamer head, and you will be OK. 5- In the directions it clearly states that it takes 2 1/2 minutes to heat up and make steam. It does exactly that. 6- One reviewer was surprised that this steamer was missing a trigger to start and stop the steam from coming out of the head. By the nature of steam, it must keep moving, otherwise if blocked off by a trigger, it would start condensing inside the flex hose and make a big watery mess, plus when you would reopen the trigger device a big sputter of hot water would probably be thrown out at the garment.

This is such a simple device. You put water in to it. Put it on the floor. Turn it on. It heats it up in 2 1/2 minutes. Then grab the steamer head and remove the wrinkles in your garment. Straighten out the hose, vertically, to clear it of accumulated water once in a while during use. Finally, after you are done and the unit has cooled off, there is a handy drain hole for you to pour out the extra water left in the tank, if you so choose. This little machine works well !
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon October 11, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Wow! With so many negative reviews, I was expecting a lot of problems with the Rowenta IS1430 Pro Compact Steamer. I was very, very surprised that I didn't experience any problems at all...except for some 'gurgling'. I steamed a stretch corduroy jacket, stretch corduroy slacks, khaki cargo pants & a vest without any problems.

I filled the steamer with tap water using my 1 quart Rubbermaid 3091 1-Quart Bottle Servin Saver bottle without any problems. It was easy. In less than 2 1/2 minutes I had steam! (Rowenta advertises it takes 2 1/2 minutes). I didn't have to refill the tank & had a little bit of water left when I finished 40+ minutes later.

Instead of using a door, I hung the included door hook on my shower rod. None of my clothes were overly wrinkled. I always take them out of the dryer when they're slightly damp, put them on a hanger, finger press & hang them to finish drying. The clothes I steamed today needed to be ironed or steamed to make them more presentable. Also, corduroy looks much nicer if it's steamed rather than pressed with an iron. The hardest part for me is holding the clothes tightly while I steam them.

I had the steamer on for about 40 minutes...it steamed continuously, didn't drip, and gurgled a few times. Each time it gurgled, I straightened the hose by raising it above my head. Less than a couple seconds later, the gurgling stopped & I resumed steaming. The majority of the time I used the steam wand. I attached the crease attachment to put creases in the pants & to straighten the hems. I didn't try the other attachments.

Oh, sometimes I'm mechanically challenged. I didn't have any problems attaching the hose to the base, but had a difficult time removing it...until I realized what 'Pull' meant. I kept trying to pull up, but all I had to do was pull the gray eject button towards me to remove the hose. It was quick & easy.

For storage, the hose wraps around the base, the steam wand attaches to the base & the cord is wound & stored under the base. Everything is stored efficiently making the Rowenta steamer compact & portable.

I love the cloth covered hose which didn't kink & stayed cooler than a plastic steam hose. The crease attachment, my favorite, was easy to use & made a crisp crease on both pair of pants.

Rowenta recommends descaling the steamer occasionally. How often the unit is descaled will depend on the frequency of use & water quality. At least once a year or every 100 hours of use.
1. Descale by filling the unit with 1/3 white vinegar & 2/3 water. For the IS140 compact steamer that would be approximately 11 oz white vinegar & 21 oz water.
2. Let the steamer run 3 minutes...do not steam anything with this solution.
3. Turn steamer off; unplug, cool at least 30 minutes;
4. Empty; rinse water tank with fresh water;
5. Fill with fresh water, & repeat steps 2, 3, & 4

Included accessories:
Upholstery Brush ~ for difficult or heavy fabrics to aid steam penetration.
Fabric Brush ~ opens weave of the fabrics for better steam penetration.
Crease Attachment ~ use to make pant creases or to remove stubborn wrinkles. (I also used it for hems).
Lint Pad ~ not for steaming, but for removing hair, lint & etc.
Door Hook ~ Holds the steamer head & garment you're steaming.
Pouch ~ to hold accessories

I don't have anything negative to report & will update my review if my opinion changes.

Limited One Year Warranty