Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Rowenta DW8080 Pro Master 1700-Watt Micro Steam Iron Stainless Steel Soleplate with Auto-Off, 400-Hole, Blue
Safety Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

on February 4, 2010
I work in the garment industry and have been using Rowenta irons (both at work and at home) for over 15 years. The best advice I can give anyone is that if you are going to spend the money for the Rowenta brand name, then make sure that the model you are buying says "MADE IN GERMANY". At one time all Rowenta irons were made in Germany, however several years ago as a cost cutting move, the company farmed out many of its lower price models to China. The difference in quality between the models made in Germany and China is quite dramatic. Every Rowenta German model I have owned or worked with has been mostly reliable, and each provided steady long term use. On the other hand, the lower priced models made in China are known to leak (both clear and brown water), drip, have uneven steam, and only last for a short time. I offer this not only as my own opinion; this is the general consensus among my industry colleagues as well.

My previous Rowenta home model just died after 10 years of service. After much research and comparison, I decided on this Rowenta Pro Maser DW-8080 model as a replacement. I have been using it for three weeks and so far am very happy with the purchase.

PROS: Great steam power (lots of it!)....even on the medium steam setting it produces enough for getting out wrinkles on linen and cotton. The iron gets out wrinkles in one pass, where my old iron may have taken two or three passes. The pointed nose makes it easy to get into corners. The iron uses regular tap water (unfiltered, straight out of the tap) and comes with a plastic pouring cup which is handy for filling. I have not experienced any dripping or leaking of any kind. The self-clean feature really works, it lets out a BLAST of steam and water that will flush out any particles.

CONS: Iron is a bit on the heavy side...it is substantial in your hand. The hand grip seems a bit short in length, and is positioned more towards the back of the unit, which makes the iron feel a bit front-long as you steer it around. The hinged lid covering the water fill hole has to be snapped shut; it requires a pretty good push to get it to snap (though that could be because the unit is new).

Despite the few flaws, I think that the Rowenta Pro Master is a great iron for home use.

UPDATE 12/2010: I have been using this iron for nearly 11 months now and it is still performing as beautifully as day one. Highly recommend.

UPDATE 2/2013: Still going strong! My only minor complaint is that despite the anti-calc feature the iron has a bit of calcium build up inside after 3 years. The little flakes of build up do come out with the self-clean feature, but I have to self-clean more often as it gets older. Can't really fault the iron for this as mineral deposits are a fact of life when an appliance uses hot water. I also occasionally polish up the soleplate with the Rowenta Soleplate Cleaner Kit to keep it gliding smoothly. Other than that it's still performing as well as they day I bought it.
review image review image
2525 comments|1,356 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 3, 2010
After spending about 4-5 days (pathetic, I know.....but I'm very thorough) researching irons a few years back (and getting the Black & Decker D2020, which I was very satisfied with), I now needed a new one. Fortunately, my previous research narrowed the playing field to B&D's and Rowenta's, so I was able to conclude my research much quicker this time. After going through each model that each company makes, and reading all reviews on the Amazon site for each model at least twice, and looking at comments at several other sites as well, I concluded the following:

1. The B&D D2020 was a very unique iron in that the percentage of positive reviews it received compared to negative ones were astonishing....and all it cost was $35. Unfortunately, they discontinued the model several years back, and none of the new models even come close to the D2020. The newer models, (the D6000 series in particular) are bulkier, don't work nearly as well, and have a strange water filling position where you need to hold the hot iron while you fill it. Still, if you need a good iron and are only willing to pay $40, this is the iron you want.

2. The Rowenta DW8080 is the best iron on the market today for $100 or less.

3. There are a couple of issues like a. a similarly strange water filling position....which ended up not bothering me nearly as much as I originally thought it would b. The handle is rather thick for an iron. It didn't bother me in the slightest, but it may bother someone with tiny hands c. The cord is short, as others have mentioned, but if you have an outlet relatively close to the ironing board (as I'm sure most people do), it's a non-issue d. The iron needs constant, and I mean constant, refilling of water. This is directly related to the amount of steam and water spray you use, and I use a ton of it. I end up having to refill the water tank every 2 shirts. If you use starch instead of spray, or don't like steam, it may last like 4-5 shirts before needing a refill. e. Durability. I have only had the iron for about a month so it's too early to tell how long it may last, but several people complained that it died or leaked terribly after about 12-18 months. However, bear in mind that if the iron works fine for a few years, virtually noone will come back to write a review saying that it's a good iron that lasted a long time. You will generally only hear long-term feedback/complaints from those whose irons died early f. The spray button is on the right of the steam surge button, which is a bit strange, but its not that hard to get used to. g. The iron is not digital, and the transition from a digital iron to this is a bit strange as you feel you are taking a "step-down", even though, in all likelihhod, it's a better iron than your previous one.

4. If you want the best possible product after ironing and are not concerned with any of the above issues, this is the iron you want to get, hands down. The shirts look amazing, better than they would look after the dry cleaners, and as someone who frequently re-irons shirts after they come back from the cleaners, I would know. The ironing itself is very enjoyable with the DW8080 as the steam is so powerful that you see the burst coming through the other side of the ironing board, and it looks a bit like the Broadway shows where the floor is covered in steam or fog. It's a powerful machine and very enjoyable to operate. I thought the B&D D2020 had a lot of steam, but this has significantly more and the clothing come out much, much better than they did with the B&D.

5. Unless the price of the DW9080 comes down, I don't think their claims of "30% more steam" justify the 30% increase in price. I am very happy with the DW8080 and believe that it produces as much steam as anyone could ever want. Similarly, there are many complaints with the cheaper Rowenta models made in China. I would avoid those and go with this model instead.

Hope you enjoyed the review!
33 comments|360 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 31, 2010
This iron is good and sturdy. It is a bit on the heavy side, but that is okay. It has a "burst of steam" feature, and a sprayer (which I've not used yet). The burst of steam can be used in the vertical position. The sole shape is concave before the tip, which lets you get into small places. There is a control that lets you adjust the amount of steam you get. The iron has an auto-shutoff feature. There is a light that indicates when it is heating. (Some other reviewer said it was hard to know when it is warmed up. Just wait for this light to go out, and it is warm.) This light is near the base of the handle and is a bit hard to see. It is only visible from the left side, an inconvenience for left-handed users. There is a self-cleaning feature. I've not yet used it.

The iron consumes 1700 watts, which comes to 14.2 amps. That is close to the 15 amp limit of most household circuits in America. So you had better not have this plugged into the same circuit as anything that consumes much power (say a washing machine).

The instructions are very restrictive about the kind of water that can be used. All of the following are not allowed: water from clothes dryers, scented water, softened water, water from refrigerators, batteries, or air conditioners, pure distilled water, per demineralized water (I assume this is another name for de-ionized water), rain water, boiled water, filtered water, bottled water. If your water is hard (mine is quite hard---16 grains per gallon) you are advised to mix tap water and distilled or demineralized water 50-50. I understand some of that; you don't want any serious foreign gunk in the water and you need some metal ions to avoid pitting of the metal parts of the iron. But why can't I mix tap water and softened water? And why the prohibition on boiled, filtered, or bottled water?

My biggest complaint is this: The steam adjustment has 8 positions. As you move to more flow you seem to be working against a spring. There are detents at the 8 positions that are supposed to make it stay put. But it absolutely won't say in the highest flow position at all. Positions 4, 5, 6, and 7 are not stable; after a minute of ironing, the lever always seems to have popped down to position 3, which provides too little flow for my ironing tasks. An iron that costs as much as this one does and touts "Made in Germany" should not have a function that does not work right!

Another minor issue is that it is hard to see the water level. Also the behavior of the iron seems to vary some with water level. But given that you are always having to reset the steam flow control, it really doesn't matter.

I haven't seen a T-Fal iron, but given that at least one model gets many 5-star reviews, Consumer Reports rates it the highly, and it is way cheaper, maybe you should check that one out before buying this one.

===== ADDED 9/5/2010 =====

I decided that for the high price I paid for for it, and it was "Made in Germany", I really deserved to have one where the steam control worked. So I took it back to where I bought it, and they traded it for a new one. That was a big mistake. The steam control on the new one worked perfectly but it spit water something terrible. Even with the temperature in the middle of the cotton-linen region it was bad. At higher steams settings if you held the iron in the air horizontally, it would spew gobs of liquid water. Even at low setting, it would spit out small amounts of liquid and make wet blotches on the garment being ironed. Yes, I could turn the steam off, and iron for a while until the wet spot dried up. But this was even worse that the first one.

I returned the iron and got my money back.

Two irons in a row defective; I'm lowering my rating from 4 stars to 1 star, since it looks like there are consistent problems, not just a rare minor defect.

All I can say is that if you want to try a Rowenta, be sure you ask about return policies and keep your receipts.
1515 comments|311 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 7, 2010
Rather than copy Cynthia's review of February 4, 2010, I'll just save space and start my review by saying 'Ditto!!!'.

Following her advice, I made sure that I got the iron marked 'Germany' and fully agree with all of her positive comments.

Regarding the negatives, I'd like to qualify them by saying that from my experience, although you do have to press down a bit to close the cover after you add water, it isn't something you must struggle with. Also, the iron is heavy when filled with water and when my arthritis is acting up, I merely fill it only half full. This solves the weight problem. I see the overall weight as an asset since I don't have to press down on the iron to smooth the fabric. Between the many steam vents and the weight, my ironing time has been cut down by at least 1/3! As for the amount of steam produced, I didn't experience the problem another reviewer had. My iron produces sufficient steam to iron 100% cotton slacks wrinkle free, and without even moving the little lever to the maximum setting. I'd suggest to anyone who has a problem with inadequate steaming, that they try using cheap grocery store 'spring water' in their iron. Often water from the faucet doesn't have enough minerals and this iron's steaming mechanism requires them in order to function efficiently.

Although this iron is pricy, I'd definitely recommend it. As far as I'm concerned, it's worth evey penny!
11 comment|68 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 6, 2010
I have no idea how I ironed my clothes for years with a Black and Decker iron and did not go absolutely insane in the process. This Rowenta is a wonderful appliance, it does the narrow areas with ease, it is fast, has lots of steam and glides very nicely on synthetics.

The only slightly annoying thing would be the power cord, this for two reasons that refer to the way ironing boards are made in Germany.

Their ironing boards have a cord minder, cord holder, etc, that keeps the power cord out of the way hanging from above; the Rowenta iron's cord is made out of a nice-to-the-touch soft rubber that does not slide on anything, the ironing board's edge, the clothes, etc. it drags whatever it touches. Do yourself a favor an buy a foldable "cord minder", install it on the ironing board and solve the problem.

Also, some ironing boards in Germany have a power plug near the iron rest, and a power cord of their own that goes to the wall outlet, or in any case, the power outlets are higher and closer to you that in the US. For those reasons, I imagine, the iron's power cord is significantly shorter that the average ones. I installed an extension cord to the ironing board and secured it with zip-ties. just make sure that the cord is rated for 15A.
11 comment|55 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 10, 2010
I replaced my 20 yr "old faithful" iron with Rowenta's DW8080. Performance is great and iron looks fantastic. It does not look cheap as some others. 2 issues with this iron:

1st - Temperature target light does not go green when temperature is reached. I have no idea it's ready to use since red light remains ON all the time. Used it for a week and functioned same way everyday. I gave it plenty of time to warm up, which it does, but no green light. The little brochure include with the iron was no help.

I contacted Rowenta before purchasing this iron requesting all their iron models made in Germany. I didn't want a "made in China" iron based on a previous review. I'll contact them again regarding the temperate light, maybe its suppose to function this way.

2nd - The temperature setting dial is located below the handle. Cannot see setting without lifting the iron to adjust. I usually turn down iron temp during normal ironing so doing this with a hot iron is cumbersome. Old iron had dial on top.
33 comments|78 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 20, 2010
I read many of the reviews on this and other models/mfgs of irons before making a purchasing decision and decided to treat myself to the more costly Rowenta. Some of the most positive reviews of this Rowenta DW8080 made me smile. I was thinkin' "Get a life...it's a friggin' iron for cryin' out loud..." LOL Well, here's to 'eating crow'. This is by far the best iron I have ever owned. The comment about about only needing to make a single pass with the iron to achieve a great flat finish on fabrics...well...I've found it to be certainly true. I heeded the advice in other reviews about purchasing a "Made in Germany" model. I've never owned a 1700W iron before. That makes it heat up almost instantaneously...almost no waiting. I surmise that the many steam holes is what makes it steam-press fabric so quickly and well. And I also really like the shape...the slender tip that easily negotiates around buttons, etc. I must say that I think the comments about using "regular tap water" are completely crazy. Why hasten the mineral deposits and need for cleaning by doing that when using distilled water, or at least R.O. water is so simple? If you've ever seen a swimming pool being filled with municipal water (you typically can't even see the bottom of the swimming pool before filtration) you'd never consider using it in your iron where the solids are continually being boiled out. The one specific note that stands out as being the most useful is that the cover for the water fill chamber needs to be snapped firmly in place. At first I found it difficult until I learned that it is necessary to press at the rounded end where it snaps, not further up on the cover because it flexes enough to prevent secure closure. The suggestion is obvious once you have the iron in hand. So make sure you do that and then, I suppose a wish of Happy Ironing is in order. LOL. I'm extremely satisfied with the iron and highly recommend it. Why did I torture myself for so many years before discovering a quality iron? My suggestion is that you splurge a bit on this iron over less costly alternatives and perhaps turn the drudgery of the task of ironing into something a lot more expedient and enjoyable.
on June 30, 2012
I decided to buy three electric irons, and test: Rowenta DW8080, Rowenta Steamer Station DG5030 and Black/Decker D2030.

DW8080 is roughly twice the price of D2030. DG 5030 is approximately 4 times the price of D2030.

Price: Excellent: D2030, DG5030. Good: DW8080.

Build quality: DW8080 Excellent. D2030: very good. DG5030: Excellent.

Weight: Heavy: DW8080. Medium: D2030. Light: DG5030 -- because its steaming station is separate.

Steam: Very good: D2030. Excellent: DW8080. Awesome: DG5030.

Overall experience: Excellent: DW8080. Very good: D2030. Awesome: DG5030 (but look at its #7 below).

In the end you, can not go wrong with any of these three models. But if you take ironing seriously, read on:

Black n Decker D2030:
1. There is one thing I seriously dislike on D2030: the steam selection ring is not intuitive. It moves at the slightest touch.
2. I dislike pushing the digital buttons to go to my only setting that I use: 'cotton'. Every time I turn it on, I press a button 5 times. And then if I want to use it a bit cooler, I have to cycle through those numbers again!
3. And I don't want to hear beeps in the otherwise quiet room. Sorry.
4. Great price! Market price: $40 and under.
5. Water tank: for 1 cotton shirt.
6. Wow, look at the number of Amazon customer reviews. This must be a very popular product.
7. Excellent buy for the money! Best value, perhaps, of the three!
8. Watch for the little plastic cover for water. It could be better. Same for the steam knob.

Rowenta DW8080:
1. Heavy. Not everybody will like the weight. But obviously the iron needs to hold more water in order to make more steam!
2. Excellent steam!
3. Well built.
4. Price an issue for some. Market price: $100 and under.
5. Water tank: for 1 cotton shirt.
6. Good buy for that price.

Rowenta DG5030 Steamer station:
1. Awesome steam. Wow.
2. One needs to learn how to use so much steam, else you will get a wet iron board, and even wet floor if iron board can not hold all the steam.
3. Steam comes out while a button is pressed on the iron. I love this feature. Many people won't like this!
4. High market price: $150 and under currently -- A new model comes out soon.
5. Producing steam is a bit complicated. You fill in a tank but can not see the water level. Next model fixes this.
6. Water tank: for 5-6 cotton shirts.
7. Really meant for a serious ironing session. Not for ironing one shirt quickly. Iron takes 8-10 minutes to heat.
8. This iron has to heat all the water in the tank. So plan on ironing at least 4 garments.
9. Excellent buy for this price.
10. This combo unit is much larger in volume than any standard electric iron.

My personal favorite, in this order: DG5030, then DW8080, then D2030.
on June 25, 2012
I purchased this Rowenta Iron a couple of months ago. It worked fine but then developed a leak in the bottom so that water is constantly dripping out. There aren't any cracks in the frame or near that area, that are visable from the outside. I have had Rowenta Irons before and I have never had this type of problem unless I dropped it and it was cracked. This one just started leaking for no apparent reason and I am not sure from where inside. I am not satisfied at all since I paid $90+ for the transaction only a couple of months ago. Buyer Beware!!!!!!!
44 comments|19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 7, 2010
i used to think that people were crazy for shelling out $100 for an iron but my goodness, i was the ne who's crazy. this is my first ever rowenta iron and i am impressed. no wonder people pay so much money for these things! i love the fact that the it has a large reservoir for the water (which means lots of steam!!!) and it's made in germany (no offense to the made in china stuff). bought this at the amazon warehouse deal for about $10 less than the retail price and even if it said it was used, it didn't feel like it was. the box was almost torn to pieces though but the performance of the iron wasn't affected at all. an absolute refreshing change from the annoying black and decker iron i have been using for 2 years, which doesn't even generate steam or spray water after 9 months. hopefully, this would last me at least 10 years.