5.0 out of 5 stars Great Iron!
Published 23 months ago by CW

3.0 out of 5 stars Great for high, not low, temperature fabrics needing steam
Published 19 months ago by Aaron702

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Iron!, October 8, 2012
This review is from: Rowenta DW6080 Eco-Intelligence Iron 1700-Watt Steam Iron with 3D Stainless Steel Soleplate, Black (Misc.)
I recently purchased this Rowenta to replace my old Sunbeam which was also a great steam iron, and wow, what a nice piece of household equipment! I ironed 8 dress shirts in less than an hour and they all had a great finish, only refilled the iron once and I was using heavy stream. My shirts came out looking better than they do when I take them to the cleaners. This iron will easily pay for itself in the first couple months. Also, how cool is the finish on this iron? I couldn't resist it. The black, green and stainless steel are a nice option from the boring colors irons usually are, looks great sitting up in my walk in closet. I've already had several people ask what brand it was and where I it it from. Definitely reccomend, well worth the money and will last a decade before needing to be replaced.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great for high, not low, temperature fabrics needing steam, February 27, 2013
Aaron702 (Central Illinois, USA) - See all my reviews
We've been using this powerful iron since early November 2012. It puts out a great amount of steam on medium and high settings, and, to its credit, I do think the one millimeter bevel helps with dispersing steam using less water. The unit feels good in my hands and the cord is not too short. For medium and high temperature-capable fabrics, this iron is a good, solid buy. For low temperature fabrics, well, that is another story.

One millimeter. What a difference that millimeter makes.

That missing millimeter across the vast amount of the surface of the iron's soleplate, means you are actually only pressing your material in the areas with bordering ridges. These ridges appear to equate to, at most, four inches in the center, from front to back, and two inches closer to the sides. This means you either press harder, use more steam (which means raising the temperature almost to the line where the medium heat range starts), or press longer, if you want to eliminate wrinkles on low-temperature fabrics.

Why is this? Because when using the lower heat range, the thermostat only turns on the heating element long after any steam stops. Sadly, all of my dress pants require heat lower than what this iron needs to produce steam (to be fair, the steam button can occasionally produce steam, but only right after the element cycles on). So, it leaves one ironing very slowly (remember, you are only hitting the fabric with 2-4 inches of warm metal) or raising the temperature, and, in reality, going really slow IS raising the temperature on the fabric to some extent. Although I've tried to be careful, two pairs of pants have not-too-nice glossy areas on them from these approaches (thankfully, I iron them inside-out).

This iron also makes wet ironing - when you don't use the dryer - difficult. Again, that millimeter means that even if you are ironing shirts that accept a medium heat setting, you are only going to really be ironing with 2-4 inches of the whole plate bottom. So, this makes another ironing chore of mine rather more time consuming than I would have expected. (Of note, it is interesting to see the inverse image of dry-vs.-wet soleplate on a wet shirt. It really illustrates what part of the iron is actually doing the work.)

Despite these concerns, the iron has been worth the try. I can vouch that it does a really nice job if you aren't using it for my normal circumstances.

Due to these issues, we may find a close relative to whom to give this. To Rowenta's credit, we will likely get one of their flat-bottomed units.

What a difference a millimeter makes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not for everything, September 26, 2013
This is my first good iron. I've been sewing clothing for the last 14 years. I have made my daughter's whole wardrobe from the time she was an infant, until recently (she's 11). I have now taken up quilting. My husband is the big ironer in the family though. He has uniform inspection at work. Having been prior military, he's a bit of a perfectionist in the task. That being said, a run of the mill iron only lasted us about 2 yrs, and the iron did not last very long where I could use it for sewing. Usually he would ruin the sole plate long before he couldn't use it for uniforms. (starch burn/build up and scratched non-stick plates)

That being said, we both LOVE this iron. We mostly need heavy steam for the items we iron and this gives AMAZING steam. Ironing has become so fast and easy. It takes mere seconds and one pass to get a crisp fold into the fabric, where as it took several slow passes and heavy pushing on the iron before. The iron is heavier than I expected. But then again, that means I don't have to push on it to get crisp folds. The elongated nose makes getting into a seam, or around buttons, a breeze. I love the fact that I can use this iron for vertical steam as well. The iron also comes to temperature VERY quickly. No more waiting 10-15 mins for the highest temperature to be reached.

I would like to say that this iron is not for everything though. The whole purpose of this iron is STEAM. It does not have 6 heat settings like others. It has 3, and I would say the 3 highest heat settings you would normally find. I would definitely not use it to iron delicate things like chiffon or nylon. These are fabrics that should not be steamed at all and the iron itself would probably not be cool enough.

I did get water 'spotting' as was noted on other reviews. But when I started paying attention I noted that this happened when the iron auto shut off had engaged and it had started to cool. When I picked it up, it would turn back on, then I would get water spotting. This is to be expected if the iron is not at temperature when you go to use it. Still, the spotting was minimal and did not occur when the iron was properly at temperature.

This iron works great for steam, and for the majority of jobs in my house this will be all that is needed. However I will still need to hold onto my old iron for those VERY infrequent times when I need to iron delicate items.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceeded Expectations, April 10, 2013
I have owned many irons that came from big box stores in the $20-$30 range. They always do a decent job for a while and then they break. When my old iron was on its last legs, I started looking for something that wasn't quite so disposable. I decided I wanted to go with Rowenta because of the company's reputation and especially because most of the irons are still made in Germany instead of China like everything else. When comparing Rowenta models, I'll be honest, the design of this iron won me over. It didn't look like any other iron and is actually kind of pretty. I mean, it is still an iron and I'm not going to put it on my mantle or anything, but it is a pretty iron!

I am blown away by the performance of this iron. After years of using those crappy irons and struggling to get wrinkles out, it has been incredible to smooth fabric with one pass. This iron has LOTS of steam. The first big ironing project I had was a quilt I was making. Every step was a breeze, from ironing uncut fabric, to pressing seams, to smoothing multiple layers of fabric. I have since had similar results ironing clothes and even delicate curtains. It is just incredibly quick and easy. I have never used an iron that works so well and would recommend this model to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great buy., October 21, 2012
Recently bought this to replace my 7yr old Azur Philips steam iron. The Rowenta iron works wonders. Everything about this iron is great, except its cord would be better if its longer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this iron!, July 29, 2013
We had a run of the mill iron from Target, but my husband is the ironing police, so I got this for him for Christmas (how disturbing is that?!) He loves it and it turns out professional dry cleaning results

5.0 out of 5 stars UNIFORMS, March 17, 2013
I'M A NURSE AND I IRON ALL MY URINFORMS ON SUNDAYS FOR THE FOLLOWING WEEK. THIS IRON HAS MADE IT SO EASY-MONEY WELL SPENT!

1.0 out of 5 stars Broken and leaking after only a few months of careful use, September 19, 2013
If this iron worked properly, I would love it. The steam boost lever is in just the right place. But after only 4 months of infrequent use, the iron leaks from the underside of the metal heat plate and also from where the electrical cord exits the iron! Electrical shock hazard anyone? In under an hour, just sitting on the ironing board, not being used, the iron loses 90% of its water. Note that the iron leaks whether it is full or barely filled, I do not overfill the iron, I do not use spray starch (so vents are not clogged), and I use the self-clean function. I chose this model because it is made in Germany and supposedly of better quality. Guess I chose wrong. Skip it and find another.

4.0 out of 5 stars Rowenta, July 22, 2013
I love this... the weight of the Iron is just right and the power of the steam is great. I use this daily in quilting and would buy again, if needed. The only drawback back is the amount of water it takes, seems to not last as long as my other, but with such a great performance, I don't mind refilling.

1.0 out of 5 stars HATE IT!, February 8, 2014
Strong words, but truthful I'm afraid. I did not buy this iron on a whim, I did my research, read over 50 reviews of at least 10 different irons from different companies. In my lifetime I have owned at least 25-30 irons! Sounds a bit excessive? I am a fiber artist, quilter, doll artist, clothing designer, etc. and have different irons for different tasks. I bought this iron to replace a 15 year old Rowenta iron to use for Home Decor projects. I can't tell you how many times my old Rowenta hit the floor after getting accidently knocked offed the ironing board or counter onto hardwood or tiled floors and survived! One of my favorite fabrics to make slip covers from is good old Painters canvas drop cloths from Home Depot! Once washed and dried a couple of times, they shrink and soften to perection but are full of wrinkles! My old Rowenta flew over those wrinkles like they weren't even there!
I wasn't really looking forward to ironing 20 yards of 54" Waverly Home Dec fabric for our family room curtains, but st least I knew my iron could do the job fairly painlessly. Much to my dismay, I set up my first panel to iron and my iron barely got hot! Old Faithful had finally died!
Being the good little consumer, I checked Consumer Reports, some sewing Blogs, then a ton of Amazon reviews and finally bought this iron. I am so disappointed! It DOES NOT gush out steam! It barely puffs out steam! I gave it a good try out on a bunch of fabrics from linen, silk, cotton and wool and give it a thumbs down on all of them! If you like to go over and over your fabric to get it smooth, this is a good iron, however,,, if you want a speedy hot iron, move on. Obviously this iron went back to Amazon! I am waiting for the much cheaper Rowenta Best Buy.

Rate and Discover Movies