5.0 out of 5 stars Great Iron!
Published on October 8, 2012 by CW

3.0 out of 5 stars Great for high, not low, temperature fabrics needing steam
Published 22 months ago by Aaron702

3.0 out of 5 stars Great for high, not low, temperature fabrics needing steam, February 27, 2013
Aaron702 (Central Illinois, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rowenta DW6080 Eco-Intelligence Auto-Off Steam Iron with 3D Stainless Steel Soleplate, 1700-Watt, Black (Misc.)
We've been using this powerful iron since early November 2012. It puts out a great amount of steam on medium and high settings, and, to its credit, I do think the one millimeter bevel helps with dispersing steam using less water. The unit feels good in my hands and the cord is not too short. For medium and high temperature-capable fabrics, this iron is a good, solid buy. For low temperature fabrics, well, that is another story.

One millimeter. What a difference that millimeter makes.

That missing millimeter across the vast amount of the surface of the iron's soleplate, means you are actually only pressing your material in the areas with bordering ridges. These ridges appear to equate to, at most, four inches in the center, from front to back, and two inches closer to the sides. This means you either press harder, use more steam (which means raising the temperature almost to the line where the medium heat range starts), or press longer, if you want to eliminate wrinkles on low-temperature fabrics.

Why is this? Because when using the lower heat range, the thermostat only turns on the heating element long after any steam stops. Sadly, all of my dress pants require heat lower than what this iron needs to produce steam (to be fair, the steam button can occasionally produce steam, but only right after the element cycles on). So, it leaves one ironing very slowly (remember, you are only hitting the fabric with 2-4 inches of warm metal) or raising the temperature, and, in reality, going really slow IS raising the temperature on the fabric to some extent. Although I've tried to be careful, two pairs of pants have not-too-nice glossy areas on them from these approaches (thankfully, I iron them inside-out).

This iron also makes wet ironing - when you don't use the dryer - difficult. Again, that millimeter means that even if you are ironing shirts that accept a medium heat setting, you are only going to really be ironing with 2-4 inches of the whole plate bottom. So, this makes another ironing chore of mine rather more time consuming than I would have expected. (Of note, it is interesting to see the inverse image of dry-vs.-wet soleplate on a wet shirt. It really illustrates what part of the iron is actually doing the work.)

Despite these concerns, the iron has been worth the try. I can vouch that it does a really nice job if you aren't using it for my normal circumstances.

Due to these issues, we may find a close relative to whom to give this. To Rowenta's credit, we will likely get one of their flat-bottomed units.

What a difference a millimeter makes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Iron!, October 8, 2012
I recently purchased this Rowenta to replace my old Sunbeam which was also a great steam iron, and wow, what a nice piece of household equipment! I ironed 8 dress shirts in less than an hour and they all had a great finish, only refilled the iron once and I was using heavy stream. My shirts came out looking better than they do when I take them to the cleaners. This iron will easily pay for itself in the first couple months. Also, how cool is the finish on this iron? I couldn't resist it. The black, green and stainless steel are a nice option from the boring colors irons usually are, looks great sitting up in my walk in closet. I've already had several people ask what brand it was and where I it it from. Definitely reccomend, well worth the money and will last a decade before needing to be replaced.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not for everything, September 26, 2013
This is my first good iron. I've been sewing clothing for the last 14 years. I have made my daughter's whole wardrobe from the time she was an infant, until recently (she's 11). I have now taken up quilting. My husband is the big ironer in the family though. He has uniform inspection at work. Having been prior military, he's a bit of a perfectionist in the task. That being said, a run of the mill iron only lasted us about 2 yrs, and the iron did not last very long where I could use it for sewing. Usually he would ruin the sole plate long before he couldn't use it for uniforms. (starch burn/build up and scratched non-stick plates)

That being said, we both LOVE this iron. We mostly need heavy steam for the items we iron and this gives AMAZING steam. Ironing has become so fast and easy. It takes mere seconds and one pass to get a crisp fold into the fabric, where as it took several slow passes and heavy pushing on the iron before. The iron is heavier than I expected. But then again, that means I don't have to push on it to get crisp folds. The elongated nose makes getting into a seam, or around buttons, a breeze. I love the fact that I can use this iron for vertical steam as well. The iron also comes to temperature VERY quickly. No more waiting 10-15 mins for the highest temperature to be reached.

I would like to say that this iron is not for everything though. The whole purpose of this iron is STEAM. It does not have 6 heat settings like others. It has 3, and I would say the 3 highest heat settings you would normally find. I would definitely not use it to iron delicate things like chiffon or nylon. These are fabrics that should not be steamed at all and the iron itself would probably not be cool enough.

I did get water 'spotting' as was noted on other reviews. But when I started paying attention I noted that this happened when the iron auto shut off had engaged and it had started to cool. When I picked it up, it would turn back on, then I would get water spotting. This is to be expected if the iron is not at temperature when you go to use it. Still, the spotting was minimal and did not occur when the iron was properly at temperature.

This iron works great for steam, and for the majority of jobs in my house this will be all that is needed. However I will still need to hold onto my old iron for those VERY infrequent times when I need to iron delicate items.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great buy., October 21, 2012
Recently bought this to replace my 7yr old Azur Philips steam iron. The Rowenta iron works wonders. Everything about this iron is great, except its cord would be better if its longer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceeded Expectations, April 10, 2013
I have owned many irons that came from big box stores in the $20-$30 range. They always do a decent job for a while and then they break. When my old iron was on its last legs, I started looking for something that wasn't quite so disposable. I decided I wanted to go with Rowenta because of the company's reputation and especially because most of the irons are still made in Germany instead of China like everything else. When comparing Rowenta models, I'll be honest, the design of this iron won me over. It didn't look like any other iron and is actually kind of pretty. I mean, it is still an iron and I'm not going to put it on my mantle or anything, but it is a pretty iron!

I am blown away by the performance of this iron. After years of using those crappy irons and struggling to get wrinkles out, it has been incredible to smooth fabric with one pass. This iron has LOTS of steam. The first big ironing project I had was a quilt I was making. Every step was a breeze, from ironing uncut fabric, to pressing seams, to smoothing multiple layers of fabric. I have since had similar results ironing clothes and even delicate curtains. It is just incredibly quick and easy. I have never used an iron that works so well and would recommend this model to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this iron!, July 29, 2013
We had a run of the mill iron from Target, but my husband is the ironing police, so I got this for him for Christmas (how disturbing is that?!) He loves it and it turns out professional dry cleaning results

4.0 out of 5 stars Spend a lot of time ironing? This investment could save you TIME and MONEY., September 13, 2014
The Good: This iron has saved me a lot of money by ironing at home. Ironing was such a chore before getting this iron because I never realized how bad my old iron was. I like that you are able to use tap water with this product and you don't have to bother with distilled, or boiled water. Distilled water is actually harmful for this product and should not be used. I would recommend reading the instructions from start to finish because this high-end iron is like nothing you've used before.

I use the iron daily to iron my clothing for work. My household uses the iron as well and I've noticed a $15 savings on my electric bill since buying this iron. The steam is strong and plentiful enough thanks to the 300+ steam holes and can iron through the toughest wrinkles.

The Bad: The strong steam requires you to use a mesh ironing board. My traditional ironing board doesn't allow the steam to penetrate and therefore the steam has no place to go except up the sides of the iron. This has burned me and I have been more cautious as a result. The instructions actually point out that you should only use a mesh ironing board cover.

Summary: If you spend a lot of time ironing each week this is well worth the investment. Not only will you save time ironing thanks to the generous amount of steam, you will also save money thanks to the eco setting feature which uses less electricity. I spent a lot of money on cheaper irons over the years and it's true, you get what you pay for. Do yourself a favor and buy a Rowenta.

5.0 out of 5 stars UNIFORMS, March 17, 2013
I'M A NURSE AND I IRON ALL MY URINFORMS ON SUNDAYS FOR THE FOLLOWING WEEK. THIS IRON HAS MADE IT SO EASY-MONEY WELL SPENT!

1.0 out of 5 stars Broken and leaking after only a few months of careful use, September 19, 2013
If this iron worked properly, I would love it. The steam boost lever is in just the right place. But after only 4 months of infrequent use, the iron leaks from the underside of the metal heat plate and also from where the electrical cord exits the iron! Electrical shock hazard anyone? In under an hour, just sitting on the ironing board, not being used, the iron loses 90% of its water. Note that the iron leaks whether it is full or barely filled, I do not overfill the iron, I do not use spray starch (so vents are not clogged), and I use the self-clean function. I chose this model because it is made in Germany and supposedly of better quality. Guess I chose wrong. Skip it and find another.

3.0 out of 5 stars Works well, but did not decrease my ironing time at all compared to a cheap steam iron, August 22, 2013
I purchased this model (Rowenta DW6080 Eco Intelligence Iron) from BB&B because it is the newest model as of August 2013 and the reviews were great and there were no complaints about leaking.

I used it to iron 3 shirts and one pair of pants, and I had to refill the water in the tank a second time, yet the steam was not that great. For a good reason is called Echo, it does not use as much electricity, but also it does not produce as much steam. I had to keep my finger at all times on the Echo-boost (the ergonomic rotary trigger), yet, it did not produce enough steam. The main weakness of this iron is it's key feature: Echo; not enough steam is produced/released; and also you CANNOT control/regulate the amount of steam: it's either Echo steam, or Echo-boost steam, both of which do not produce enough steam. Thus, ironing took just as long (about 40 minutes to iron 3 shirts and 1 pair of pants) as it took me to iron with a cheap steam iron I have (a $20 value). Also, the "ergonomic rotary trigger" (i.e. Echo-boost) is not comfortable to press on at all times during ironing. It's just not ergonomic at all, not even for me who have long fingers. It should have been installed under the handle bar as a index finger trigger, for us to press with the index finger...

I have to admit that ironing with this steam iron was very smooth, very precise, yet, it took me just as long if not longer than with a cheap iron. And the water tank has to be filled frequently. Also, there was no leaking during the time I used it. However, the steam pressure released every time I placed the iron to stand in a vertical position was about the same as when pressing the Steam boost button, which to me it means a waste of steam: I get minimal steam while ironing in a horizontal position, but when I set it to stand in a vertical position, it releases large amounts of steam, which is basically wasted.

I returned the device (to BB&B without any issues; great customer service) simply because it did not reduce my ironing time. I like to iron, and I like to have my cloths neat and straight, but I do not have time to spend on ironing all day. Thus, I recently bought the Rowenta DG5030 Pro Iron Steam Station, and I will post my review of it soon.