5.0 out of 5 stars Tips from a Professional Seamstress
Published on October 24, 2011 by Mary E. Copper

1.0 out of 5 stars Overpriced piece of junk
Published on December 19, 2011 by M. H. Zaret

5.0 out of 5 stars Tips from a Professional Seamstress, October 24, 2011
My old Rowenta got heavy duty usage and lasted just over 10 years. The only problem it had was with the cord and that is being repaired. To cover me and have a backup iron, I got this new one. To prevent spitting and leaking - Only use generic drinking water like you would get in any store. Not distilled, not and super duper brand, just plain old bottled drinking water. Next, make sure the heat setting and steam setting match. Don't select a low heat and high steam or it will spit. Other than that, this is by far, the best and most effective iron on the market.

4.0 out of 5 stars So far, so good., July 27, 2011
This review is from: Rowenta DW2090 Effective Comfort Auto-Off Cord Reel Steam Iron with 300-Hole Stainless Steel Sole Plate, 1500-Watt, Turquoise (Misc.)
My old Rowenta died. Well, it fell on the floor and broke, so maybe it committed suicide. That old iron was easily the longest-lasting iron I've ever had. I find they don't last long, for me. Although maybe I am to blame, in that I never clean them out. Either way, I had a coupon for Bed Bath & Beyond and had to iron my clothes, so off I went...
They have a few choices there, and what I wanted was something decent that had a retractable cord. My old one didn't have the retractable cord, and storing it was a pain. This model was the only one in the store with a retractable cord, so I got it.
It's a powerful iron. Works very well.
Two things I don't like:
1) It's top heavy. Or something. Maybe the base is too small. TWICE right after I bought it, it fell off my ironing board while resting there. That was really annoying. The slightest bump to my board will send this thing to it's doom. I'm glad it still works after that. Annoyed me.
2) The water compartment is a dark blue, and so it's really difficult to see through and see the water level.
3) Because of the big back end, you can't quite get a feel for how small the actual ironing surface is, so as you iron you really need to pay attention to what you're doing.
OK that was 3 things. Nobody reads this anyway!
I DID like that it filled up with water OK. My old one would gurgle and spill a lot. The opening is still painfully small (WHEN will someone create an iron with an opening for the water that's bigger than my pinky nail!!?) It doesn't come with a water pitcher thing, but I still have my old one from several irons ago and use that just fine. The buttons for spray and steam and nice and big and I have no problem with them.
Overall I'm happy with it. We'll see if it stands the test of time. I iron a lot. What can I say, I'm a classy guy!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars powerhouse of an iron, June 7, 2011
Terry Malec (Newport, NH United States) - See all my reviews
I have wanted a Rowenta iron for a long time because of my experience with them in the quilt shops where I have taken classes. Being an avid quilter, an iron is an important tool for me. I tried it on a couple of cotton shirts when it arrived and the shirts looked liked they were professionally done at a cleaners. I had a couple of hanger marks in the shoulder of one shirt and the iron took them out instantly. It looked like they were never there. The steam works pretty regularly and the sprayer gives an even spray, not a spurt like other irons I have used. The iron is sturdy in my hand, but not too heavy. Did not find much use for the the thumb rest. I'm really pleased with this product and highly recommend it. My only regret is that I waited so long to buy a Rowenta.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Iron Ever!!!, September 12, 2011
I just have to say that ever since I received my Rowenta iron in the mail I can't stop ironing. I literally try to find things to iron and what's so funny is I hate ironing! The main reason why was it just seemed like you would iron for a long time and then later find that what you just ironed needs to be ironed again! Well not with this iron, I have never spent this much money on an iron, but couldn't resist because of all of the great reviews. What's great is it doesn't take a long time to iron at all, even the toughest denim will be wrinkle free in less than a minute. I'm so happy I made this purchase. This iron takes out wrinkles like nothing. I like the sprayer because it sprays out so much water evenly rather than the little bit a of water that most irons spray. I have never seen so many steam holes on an iron but I now understand the importance and see a huge difference. Definitely worth buying and I plan to buy one for my friends and family as gifts.

5.0 out of 5 stars DON'T KNOW OF A BETTER PERFORMING IRON FOR THE MONEY!, November 6, 2011
Am a bachelor from the 'old achool' who is not allergic to ironing often. Absolutely dislike a leaky iron. Had that in mind as I shopped around for one. Plus, was looking for a product which was sturdy/durable,offered good steam action and was priced right. Even checked Consumers but didn't like their picks. Then I visited Amazon (which I should've done in the first place) and came across the Rowenta DW 2070 and my search ended. Read most of the reviews. I said to myself, "thank you Jesus." After a couple of weeks' daily use, I'm very pleased with its performance. Strong steam action, no leaks, shirts look nice and I'm a happy camper. P.S. I always use distilled water which helps to prevent calcium buildup in the vents. This product review comes from yours truly with the "Highly Recommended" tag affixed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Iron so far, June 12, 2011
Coming from sub $20 irons in the past, I decided to invest a little more money this time around with hopes that it lasts longer that a couple of years. I've heard about Rowenta and liked how this model has the retractable cord as well as the 300 steam holes and stainless steel plate. What a huge difference this iron makes compared to my old cheap "disposable" irons! This iron gets out creases that my old iron was never able to do. I'm no expert at ironing and perhaps the $100+ models might be even better, but for my purposes of ironing my work shirts this iron is perfect; I just hope it lasts.

1.0 out of 5 stars Overpriced piece of junk, December 19, 2011
Purchasing a Rowenta iron is no longer a guarantee that you are buying a quality item. This is my second and last Rowenta iron. My first iron lasted 10 years with very low maintenance. This iron, purchased two months ago and made in China (not Germany), developed rust after one use. No one stands behind it. Speaking to customer (dis)service at Amazon and Rowenta was a waste of time. Amazon referred me to Rowenta, who blamed it on the "hard water" we have in Manhattan. I was not able to obtain a replacement or a refund from Amazon or Rowenta.

3.0 out of 5 stars Drip, drip, drip arrrrrrgh!, August 26, 2004
I bought into the whole Rowenta name thing. I got the Rowenta Actipress home, read the directions, re-read the directions (I've never paid so much for an iron in my life, wanted to get it right). Yes, stainless steel soleplates are lovely and glide and hover all over your clothes. But, as I finished the final sleeve of my hubby's XL Linen shirt ...drip, Oh did I hit the mist button, no checked that, drip, drip, leak, drip. Before the ironing was over 2 almost finished linen shirts had to go into the laundry again because of the water marks ugh! I HATE that! So, I returned the Rowenta and got the T-Fal diffusion iron also with 1400 watts, approx. the same weight, and a nice smooth soleplate that emits the same amount of steam for HALF the price and NO DRIPS!

By the way, with the Rowenta I tried everything in the directions, turning up the heat, using tap water- then using half and half as the directions advise if you have hard water --nothing helped this thing just drips and leaks.

1.0 out of 5 stars Leaky piece of junk, November 25, 2012
You pay top $ for these Rowenta irons. Here's what you get for this:

The iron is well-designed mechanically and ergonomically. It feels good in the hand. The plate material is very nice and glides very well. The knobs are of good quality and you get the impression that this machine will last a good long while. In these ways it is a lot better than my previous Black & Decker models and it had me feeling that I have spent my money well.

Here's the problem: if you have cotton garments to press, like men's shirts, and want to use steam (as you must) - you are going to have problems. The iron seems to be under-designed in the thermal engineering department. It has propensity to leak water.

I have the temperature knob all the way up for cotton, so this cannot be the reason. But the iron leaks without fail each time I'm trying to press with steam. This is very frustrating to say the least; and absolutely unacceptable. The only way I have been able to mitigate the problem is to keep the water reservoir less than half full - which means I have to fill it several times during each ironing job.

I miss my old Black & Decker. Seems to be the same old trade off: un-elegant but functionally superior American product versus design superiority at the expense of functionality in a European product. I normally choose the former. In this case I got fooled.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Great, So Far, August 25, 2011
I sew, quilt, or embroider on a daily basis and that means I use a iron daily. I started using Rowenta irons about 12 years ago because I heard they are the best. They are and they are not, depending on what model you purchase and if you get lucky to get one without glitches or problems. So far, this iron works like a dream! It's working beautifully like some of my other Rowenta's did after purchasing them recently. Sometimes though, within 6 to 12 months, I start having problems with the iron. The reason I keep buying Rowenta irons are because when working properly, they are the best for ironing any type of fabric. The strong bursts of steam from these irons is amazing! You can steam out the most stubborn of wrinkles and you can steam your clothes when they are hanging up. I'm hoping that this one will last at least a couple of years.