5.0 out of 5 stars Both The IS6200 And IS6300 Are Wonderful Steamers
Published 18 months ago by ladyfingers

3.0 out of 5 stars Needs a hose that doesn't collapse
We own a clothing store and have always used Jiffy steamers. I was anxious to give this one a try.

The good news: Powerful steam capabilities, roll & press support is awesome, hanger at the top is a great idea.

Published 18 months ago by Marilyn T.

5.0 out of 5 stars Both The IS6200 And IS6300 Are Wonderful Steamers, March 6, 2013
This review is from: Rowenta IS6300 Master Valet Full Size Garment Steamer with Exclusive Roll and Press Support 1550 Watt, Brown (Misc.)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I already own the earlier model to this one, the Rowenta IS6200 Compact Valet Full Size Garment Steamer with Foot Operated On-Off Switch 1500 Watt, Blue and I love it. The only real drawback the older model has (and so do many other steamers) is one of safety. Shirt and other clothes edges need to be held taut while steaming. It's inevitable that at some point hot steam and fingers will come into contact with each other. Believe me, that steam is mighty hot. Rowenta took care of the problem by adding a support roll that acts like a vertical ironing board. I was very happy with the older model, but this new feature is well thought out and a welcome addition. Steaming can now be safely done pretty much single-handed, thanks to the expandable support. I still hold down an edge once in awhile, but a whole lot less than before.

Both steamers heat up in about 60 seconds, and users will appreciate the integrated hanger system. Clothes hang nicely from it, and steaming all sides/angles can be accomplished in about 1-2 minutes. Try doing that with an iron. The Master Valet lays collars flat and wrinkles disappear in seconds. I'm especially impressed with heavier polo/golf type shirts and 100% cotton shirts made in India (the kind that always come out of the dryer a wrinkly mess). Their varying textures make traditional ironing a real challenge, but the Rowenta Master Valet easily de-wrinkles these hard to iron fabrics.

I still iron dress pants for a more defined crease, but the bulk of our pressing needs is now done with the Rowenta Master Valet. It's portable and versatile. Steaming drapes and curtains is a cinch, and it can freshen up any upholstery (car, chair, bedding). It was invaluable in helping us take down some stubborn wallpaper. We also bought a playard for our grandchild and the skirt surrounding it was a wrinkled mess--Rowenta to the rescue. It looks wonderful now.

The hook for the steam hose is centrally located in the hanger system on both models, which makes it hard to hang up while in use. My simple solution is to work right next to the laundry tub. That way I can take advantage of hanging/steaming clothes and then drape the steamer hose over the laundry tub while I'm switching out to the next garment.

I prefer the smaller hanger that comes with the cheaper model because shirt collars button easier, but that's a small detail. I also wondered if people like me who already own the Compact Valet (IS6200) couldn't upgrade to the Master Valet (IS6300) by simply buying the pole that has the expandable support roll. They seem to be the same dimensions and pretty much identical in appearance. There is nothing on the Rowenta website offering that, but it's a shame consumers who own the older model couldn't appreciate and use the support roll too.

If cost is an issue and care is taken while steaming, go for the cheaper model. It does just as good a job as this newer version except it has no vertical support roll. The new Master Valet does seems like a safer option though, thanks to the added back support. I highly recommend either, depending on your cost and safety needs.

3.0 out of 5 stars Needs a hose that doesn't collapse, March 9, 2013
Marilyn T. (Elkhorn, WI USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

The bad news: It needs to be a foot higher and the hose needs to be made of a stiffer material. When steaming the bottom of a shirt, you need to get the hose way down, at which point it doubles over on itself and shuts off the steam. This is a major design flaw. The Jiffy tubing is made of vinyl that is quite stiff. The Rowenta hose is covered in a sort of fabric reminiscent of the old canister vacuum cleaner hoses. I assume the inside tubing is also vinyl but it's a very soft vinyl. If they would use a heavier tubing and extend the height a foot, this would be an awesome appliance because the steam power is so great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great. Assembly was flawless., December 30, 2012
I was leary after reading about other reviewers having assembly/quality issues. But I liked the design so much with the "roll press support" I took a chance. I am really glad I did. In short, assembly was a breeze and took less than five minutes. Everything fit together just fine without any modifications or additional effort - and that was without reading the directions.

As for the steamer, It works very well. It produces steam in seconds. And most importantly, the press support combined with the clips and shirt hanger makes steaming easy. It all works really well together to allow for a quality steaming job - including pressing out collars and cuffs on 100% cotton shirts.

My one suggestion - don't steam and then immediately wear anything. The garment will still be slightly damp and putting it on right away leads to quick wrinkling. Let the garment hang for a few minutes before wearing.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Sturdy, Excellent Quality Steamer, May 16, 2013
J. E. Nelson (Plainfield, Illinois) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
While I very rarely take the time to steam my clothes, my wife has a steamer and uses it often. I purchased a Sunbeam S1500 1500-Watt Classic Garment Steamer for my wife about a year ago. She does use the steamer often, but I did not care for the Sunbeam S1500. The thing felt cheaply made with thin, lightweight metal parts and plastic rods and clips. When I tried it, it felt like the thing was going to fall apart. Personally I felt like it was a waste of $100 but the product did the job.

When I had the opportunity to try the Rowenta IS6300 Garment Steamer, I was interested to compare the quality of the two items as the Rowenta brand steamer was about twice the price of the Sunbeam steamer.

Assembly of the unit was not terribly difficult, but I thought the first step of the Quick Assembly Tips sheet could have been a bit clearer. From out of the box to assembled and ready to steam was under 5 minutes.

Once assembled, I could tell right away that the product was much sturdier than the Sunbeam S1500 model. Rather than the thin circular rods used in the cheaper steamer, this model uses a telescoping elliptical shaped main rod. The rod is held into the base by a screw and the hanger on top is also screwed into place. The result was a sturdy unit that did not have plastic pieces swinging everywhere like the Sunbeam had.

I put cold water into the tank and turned the unit on. The unit turns on with an oversized push switch on the front of the unit that can be easily tapped with your foot, a huge perk if a person is a bit mobility impaired or has a hard time bending over. From cold water to steam was just under 60 seconds as advertised on the card attached to the unit.

Another feature of the unit I thought was really attractive is a roll up screen that can stretches from the hanger to the base that acts as an upright support while you steam your clothes. This eliminates holding the garments by the sides with one hand and steaming with the other.

As I mentioned, the main rod is telescoping. Full extended, the unit is about 64 inches from the floor to the top of the hanger. When the rod is collapsed, the unit is about 46 inches. While not a significant difference in height, this feature might let the owner sneak it in the corner of the closet and be able to fit under the closet pole.

My only complaint about the unit is the insulation on the hose. After the unit is on for 3 minutes, the hose gets quite warm to the touch. The hose is not hot enough to burn you with brief contact, but when I grabbed it and held onto it, it was hot enough to make me let go after about 15 seconds. I find this a trivial point as I am probably the only person idiotic enough to hold onto a steam hose for 15 seconds, but I thought it was a point worth mentioning.

Overall, I really liked this steamer. Despite being double the price as the Sunbeam model we currently own, I would have gladly paid the price difference. I think the Engineering and quality of this product is far superior.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wish I'd have had this to use for the past 20 years. Totally better than an iron., November 30, 2013
Have only used it a few times since I just got it recently, but so far it does what everyone has said. The steam really does make faster work of getting wrinkles out of clothes and does it without endangering the fabrics. I have in the past damaged some of my wife's clothes by giving a 'sheen' to them with a slightly too-hot iron but that won't happen with this and that's a good thing. :)

Couple of things to point out:
1. I bought this model mostly because of that pull-down back that basically allows you to press up against the clothes and not have them get away from you. Trust me, every steamer should have this design.
2. It does take about one minute for the steam to come on after you power it on..just BE CAREFUL around the steam end of the wand. Work from the bottom up and pay attention to where your other hand is (the one not on the wand) so you can use it to move the clothes around and get the steam on the wrinkles and not burn yourself with steam.
3. Steamers take up room. Just account for that when you buy one. On the other hand, it looks like I might be able to do away with the ironing board...so I can just put it in that space I guess. :)
4. If you get the wand too low (others have also pointed this out) the hose can sometimes get a little kink in it and you just have to adjust the hose and/or wand height for what you're doing. You'll know something is off because instead of a steam hissing sound you'll hear a sort of gurgling sound. Nothing's wrong, just move the wand up higher and the kink in the hose will go away.
5. After getting it I tend to agree that I wish it was just a tad higher. It is probably plenty tall for the average woman, but being a 6' guy it could be a bit taller and be easier for me to use. I'll likely do what I notice another reviewer did (and posted photos on Amazon) and add an additional hook on the upper frame just under where the wand rest is.

In the end, it WILL save you time and effort and spare your clothes. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth Owning, March 3, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I picked this up hoping to find a more convenient alternative to ironing all the time, and it's delivered. There's a LOT to be said in favor of this item.

For one thing, assembling, storing, and moving this are all surprisingly simple. It's a lot lighter than it looks, and while the wheels it rolls on aren't the best, they do the job adequately. It's a very compact device and fits quite nicely in whatever corner you care to squeeze it into. The power cord wraps up neatly and hangs on a conveniently located latch, though the plug is . . . somehow upside down. It's hard to explain, but it throws me every time I use it.

The whaddayacallit, that pulls down like a window blind to provide a flat surface to push garments against, is decent, not particularly bad, not particularly good. The frame of the thing is very convenient for hanging shirts over, and flipping them around when the front is done and it's time for the back is simple enough. All in all the setup could stand to be a bit wider, and there's no really good way to do sleeves.

Pants are a good deal harder to do; the bar that they're supposed to be draped over is far too narrow, and the clips that hold them in place, aside from leaving little bunched-up folds, hold them in such a way that you need to flip them a total of five times. I've taken to awkwardly hanging them over the top of the frame instead.

As far as handling goes, it's very easy to use. The plastic handle is one piece that leads directly into the steamer head; after a while the plastic gets a bit warm to the touch. The handle's also a bit short, and for me to hold it comfortably, I usually end up with the heel of my hand touching the hose that feeds steam into it, which gets hotter still. However, neither of these are really uncomfortably hot. That hose, by the way, is nice and long, giving a very full range of movement. The makers brag about its one-handed operation; I find that most of the time my "free" hand is tugging on some corner of the garment to keep the fabric taut, but I really don't care. It's not like I have big plans for my left hand at steaming time. A full tank of water allows me to steam a LOT of garments; actually, I've been using it for most of a week and have yet to refill it. There's a fairly pleasant smell to the thing that vaguely puts me in mind of an upscale business hotel. I'm surprised by how much FUN it is to operate, especially when compared with an iron and ironing board.

Accessories: There's a little fabric brush thingy that can be attached to the steamer head, and some sort of sock for use on delicate fabrics; I haven't had the chance to test either yet, but both look perfectly serviceable at a glance. And in the spirit of "Order your X in the next fifteen minutes and we'll throw in a free Y!" there's also a very nice heavy-duty lint brush; sharing my house with two dogs, I'm a huge fan of that.

Now, how about performance? It's not quite as good at removing wrinkles as an iron would be, and it just can't give you a really sharp crease. Nevertheless, it does a perfectly adequate job for all but the most formal dress-to-impress occasions. A shirt can be satisfactorily steam pressed in just a few minutes, pants a little longer, though of course the heavier the material the more time and effort are required. I really am glad to own this steamer. Not sure if it's worth the sticker price (I got mine free in exchange for writing this review), but that would be my only hangup. Otherwise, it carries my highest recommendation.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good and Bad, April 6, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Before I go on I wanted to say that I have owned better I started out with a J-2000 Jiffy Garment Steamer until it got dropped from the second story from the moving company. There were two reasons I wanted to try this first: The thing that attracted me to this was the vertical backboard that you use to back your clothes on while steaming and the second was that Rowenta makes some quality Irons and so I thought this would be just as good. I was correct about the handy backing that's one thing the Jiffy didn't have that I wanted was a feature like this. you can use this like a verticle ironing board and get anything flat and wrinkle free with little effort, another thing I liked was the speed in which the water heated up. Now the bad. They don't put the same quality in their steamers as they do their irons. this thing is made out of cheap plastic, the assembly feels like it's going to break if you put too much pressure on it. The J-2000 Jiffy Garment Steamer had more of a commercial feel, brass fittings, machined aluminum stand, industrial heavy duty plastic. It had more of a commercial feel and it was made for hard use, I should of purchased that one again and made a press support myself for it. Oh well you learn, I have a feeling the Rowenta won't be around very long anyway just by how cheaply it's made.

4.0 out of 5 stars I was leery to purchase but not bad!, December 15, 2012
I read the reviews and was VERY leery. I did purchase and then read the reviews and canceled my order. I went to Bed Bath and Beyond today for something else and saw it on the shelf for $99.00. It is at Bloomingdales for $199.99. I picked it up and put it in the basket. I figured that with the 20 percent off it was worth a shot. I got it home and assembled it. I assembled it quickly. The key was to get the poles in the slots so that you see the screw holes. It took a few adjustments and it was in the right spot. I did not use the instructions and just looked to verify based on the picture on the outside of the box. This is the third unit I have purchased. I have one from a few years back. I purchased this one because of the clips for pants and skirts. I have used it when I got it home and I like it is one speed versus the other one that has three but NO ONE uses the other two. The only thing I would have liked would have been for the hanger to be on the opposite side of the pants and for it to have the pants attachment (for the steamer). It is WELL worth the money. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Well designed with a few minor quirks, March 25, 2013
Eagle Vision (Southeastern United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
What is in the box?

Retractable stand
Press stand
Push start

Setup

Setup took less than 3 minutes to assemble, after reading the instructions. This comes in 3 separate pieces from the box and the only thing to put together is the stand. Remove the knows from the top and bottom of the components and slide the support onto the steamer.

The water container is similar to the containers for humidifiers with the twist off lid and pressure mounted valve. Fill the container, plug in the unit and push the power button on with your foot. It takes about a minute for steam to be ready. The steamer head snaps onto the top of the support, the support can be lowered for storage, and the cord can be attached to the vertical support to keep it from causing a tripping hazard.

The wheels are only plastic so rolling on ceramic tile and hardwood is not as easy as it looks. It works well when rolling on carpet. It would be nice to have seen some user applied brakes to keep it from rolling but I noticed no issues with my intense use of the product. The power cord is only fastened with Velcro and it would have been a better option to have a wrapping hook like on a vacuum cleaner or a retractable cord. Again, these are minor quirks, and they don't interfere with use.

Having just a power button without any adjustments makes this simple to use. The steamer is well balanced and I'm comfortable with the degree of stability.

Use

The stand is sturdy and is can be adjusted easily to suit the user's clothing and his or her respective height. The rolling support works very well and is a nice addition to keep the clothing stable in position. The hose gets quite hot but the handle of the steam head is wide enough to keep the user comfortable.

I found this to work well with linen, silk, polyester, and wool. It is not suitable for cotton if you want a pressed look. It definitely takes the wrinkles out quite efficiently. I find it suitable for clothing taken out of the dryer, immediately, or for a quick touch up. The ideal clothing are delicate fabrics than can easily burn with a conventional iron. After use, it is easy to remove the water tank but there is a small residual in the base when you do remove it.

I found the lint brush to be a nice touch, though I would have preferred a snap on section to keep it together with the steamer. For me, I found it helpful to use a ziplock bag and put the support screw through it to keep the user manual, accessory attachments and lint brush on the unit. Once separated, I can almost guarantee it will be lost.

Conclusion

Rowena did a great job with with subtle upgrades to this genre of clothing care products. It's easy to operate, priced competitively with models of the similar level of construction, and it's well thought out.

Two thumbs up!

4.0 out of 5 stars A Step Up from My Previous Steamer, February 27, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is not my first steamer but I'm going to be simplistic in describing my experience with this one. Also READ THE INSTRUCTIONS. As you are giggling over some of the things the company saw fit to warn the user about remember that the warning is probably there because someone was daft enough to do whatever it was.

The box arrived a bit beatup but the contents were all correct and in good shape. There was a single sheet of paper that gave instructions on how to attach the center pole to the base and the top piece. The center pole seemed to have caused the most grief for reviewers. I am happy to say that if there was a problem it appears to be resolved.

The pole has three pieces, one inside the other. There's a screw hole on each end. The widest end goes to the base. Extend the pole to the desired height. I'm tall so I extended them all the way. Latch the plastic locks to hold the pole in place. Unscrew the screw from the bottom of the base. Push the wide end of the pole over the place where the screw had been and push it firmly until the screw holes lie up. Replace the screw and tighten by hand. The top attaches to the Roll and Press Support in the same manner. Again the screw holes lined up nicely and I was able to tighten the screw easily.

Pull the press support down like a window blind and attach it to the supplied catch. The steamer can be tilted back and rolled around like an IV stand which could be handy when freshening drapes without having to take them down.

Take the water container out by the handle. Turn over, open the lid, and fill to the MAX line with water. It holds about a gallon if you want to use purified water to avoid scale build up. Replace the lid and return it to its place. Choose the accessory you want to use-- it has a brush with a cover to put over it when steaming more delicate fabrics.

I went out to a local thrift shop and came back with a bag full of the most wrinkled name brand items I could find in order to give the steamer a good workout. Plug it in and within a few seconds steam is coming from the end of the hose.

Remember that steam takes out wrinkles. While it can make lighter fabrics look fresher and less wrinkled, it's not a substitute for sizing. If the sizing is gone, it is gone and you will need to replace it with a can of the spray stuff. (I still remember my grandmother boiling up flour and water to make some of the most crackling starched aprons you could imagine and pants with creases you could cut yourself on.)

Its also pretty good when it comes to getting rid of pet hair. Dog and cat hair collected on the brush and was easily disposed of.

I thought the Press Support was the best part of the steamer though. Having had on too frequent a basis to try to hold a shirt taut with one hand while I steamed with the other, it was wonderful to have that screen there to press lightly back against. It helped a lot with wrinkle removal.

(ETA: I found one soft polyester fabric that did not respond at all well to being steamed. Be sure to test clothing in a inconspicuous place before giving it the full treatment.)

Finally, when I finished I dumped out what was left of the water. I gathered up the cord and used the velcro strip that came around it to hold it in place. Then I slid it into a corner of the downstairs bath out of the way.

I really like this steamer. As usual, I will update if anything changes in my opinion.

Rate and Discover Movies