5.0 out of 5 stars Makes Ironing a Breeze
Published on February 24, 2007 by B. Sullivan

2.0 out of 5 stars Two complaints with Model DG5030
Published on May 1, 2007 by L. Marr

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes Ironing a Breeze, February 24, 2007
This review is from: Rowenta DG5030 Pro Iron Steam Station with Stainless Steel Soleplate 1750-Watt, Grey (Kitchen)
I just got this iron yesterday at Linens & Things using their standard 20% coupon you find all the time in the newspaper. I tried it out on a cotton shirt and got the job down about five times faster than usual, less work, and no wrinkles. The shirt looked like I got it back from the cleaners. I also have an Elna ironpress, which also saves time, but I think I will prefer using the Rowenta steam iron since it steams the material while you iron it, and it can get into more nooks and crannies. Note to Rowenta Engineers -- it would be nice if the water tank had a level indicator to let you know how much water is in it. This would help when you fill it so as to prevent overfilling. Another option would be a removable water tank you could take over to the sink to fill. Also, if this is a typical high quality Rowenta product, why only a one-year warranty? Why not five or ten years?

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product, June 11, 2007
Having had the dry cleaners destroy several of my custom shirts, I want back to ironing my own stuff about a year ago. I bought a cheaper Rowenta from Target at that time, and while it was generally a good iron, it didn't stand that far apart from the competition.

I recently was at a Sam's club and some Swedish company was showing their $1,500 steam/iron/board contraption. It was impressive, but $1,500? I came home to see if I could get it cheaper, and found the Rowenta DG5030 on my Google search.

After reading the reviews, I bought, and two days later I had it out of the box and ready to go. I filled it with the tap water it recommends, and about 7 minutes later I was billowing steam out of the iron. There is simply no comparison between this and a "normal" iron. You can literally iron a shirt in about 4 minutes, as you need only iron one side. You can also freshen silk and synthetic garments with the steam, saving big $$$ on dry cleaning.

I've now had it for about a month, and used it 5-6 times. One tip, it will spit a bit when you first fire it up, so press the trigger a few times before you actually start ironing. My experience is after you get the air out of the line, no more spitting or dripping.

Great product.

2.0 out of 5 stars Two complaints with Model DG5030, May 1, 2007
I replaced my old Rowenta (blue tank) with the new model and found it to be less than satisfactory due to: excessive water spotting on fabrics at any temperature/steam combination of settings and the fact that the water level in the tank is not visible; instruction booklet states that the water level might affect the spotting issues; however, if the water level is not visible, this is moot. I have contacted Rowenta who informed me they were "aware" of the spotting and water tank problems and that my comments would be "duly noted." Considering the cost of this iron and Rowenta's reputation for quality products, I feel that prospective customers should be aware of these problems before purchasing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ironing made easy and cool!, November 12, 2007
I LOVE THIS SYSTEM
It seems awfully strange to rave about an iron, but I love this iron/steamer enough that I need to post a review! First some context:

CONTEXT
I iron occasionally and hate forking over $2 to have my shirts laundered at the dry cleaner. I had been surviving with the $15 variety of iron until I borrowed a friends iron in France and loved it. It was similar to the Rowenta model above. It seems that these systems are more the norm in Continental Europe.

IRONING IS BORING NO MORE!
Let's face it, ironing is boring. This system changes that... When I first used the iron, it was with several friends (we were getting ready to go out). No one was paying much attention until I started the ironing. The room filled with steam: looking like some kind of rock spectacle. It was amazing!!! There's star appeal to this iron! Now that I have started using the iron in a regular context it's enjoyable and efficient. The whole contraption feels of quality. Where I used to iron one or two shirts at a time, I now iron five or six. It's hard to put the system down! Indeed I started looking at the kitchen dish towels wondering if I should iron them! Thicker edges flatten much faster and there are no water leaks (unless you start ironing before 5 minutes have elapsed from turning on the iron).

STEAMING
I haven't used the system to steam clothes (as opposed to ironing) but I did steam my child's silk scarf. My wife held it in front of the steamer and it almost blew away! Amazing. No water by the way (as others have suggested)

ISSUES
Several reviewers cautioned that this system spits water and also complained about the long warm up time and the lack of a water level indicator. I have had no issue with the water spitting (as long as you wait five minutes for the system to warm up and allow the first "whoosh" of steam to remove any idle water condensation in the tube). As to the warm up time and level indicator, there are likely no easy solutions. The tub is large (33 oz.) and it is inevitable that it will take time to heat this water to the point of producing steam. Additionally the pressurized tank would be compromised with a water level indicator. The tube will need refilling when the steam stops coming.

REFILLING OF RESERVOIR
This brings up an issue of mine. The refilling of the tub (and emptying of the tub) requires some care. You really need to make sure that the tub is fully cooled before opening the top. Pressurized hot water is problematic. If you are the typical ironer (ie. have OCD), you may be inclined to empty the tub after every ironing session. Don't! Opening the sealed cover if after a couple of minutes leads to an almost violent splatter of steam. You're best to leave the water in the reservoir for the next session (and top-up/empty the water before the system has been turned on).

SIX FOOT STEAM TUBE
Lastly, several reviewers have referred to the 9 foot steam tube. Ours (purchased in November 2007) has only a 6 foot steam tube. This may be responsible for the fact that I never observed water-spitting.

MID-LIFE CRISIS
Some people buy a Ferrari, others buy real estate during their mid-life crises. I resolved my issues with a really nice steamer/iron. Very cool!

Happy Ironing!

5.0 out of 5 stars An Absolute Must, April 2, 2007
Erika "Erika" (Oak Park, IL USA) - See all my reviews
If you enjoy hotel-quality,crisp linen pillow cases and duvet covers, then this iron is an absolute must. I was able to iron a king size cotton duvet cover in about 5 minutes. This task used to take at least 30 minutes with my Rowenta Professional Iron. Washable silk blouses were steamed perfectly and washable linen shirts and pants looked like new. I highly recommend this iron. I agree with other reviewers who say that a water table would be nice, this way you can refill before heating up the water.

5.0 out of 5 stars How Did I Live Without This For So Long?, August 4, 2007
I just got this and immediately tried it out on 2 very wrinkled cotton and rayon blouses. It worked fantastic! It only took a few minutes to heat up. After pressing the steam button to get it going (no splatters or water drops), it only took a few minutes to iron each shirt. Cut through the wrinkles like butter! It even steamed out wrinkles in the vertical position!

It also worked great ironing out a 3 yard fabric. I sew a lot and the steam ironed out the creases in the folded fabric with no effort whatsoever (these can be very hard to get out). I like the way I can control the amount of steam by how long I press the steam button.

I have a larger ironing board that has a silicone iron holder (not a Rowenta). It's large enough so that the Rowenta DG5030 can rest right on top of it. Although the unit isn't that heavy, even when filled with water, be careful with it on a lighter ironing board. It doesn't have an automatic shut-off, which is perfect for my sewing. Just need to remember to turn it off!

The only thing I wish it had was a water level indicator or a see-thru tank. But I think I can tell when the water is running low. The sound in the water reservoir changes a bit and the steam amount will decrease. But no sputter no dripping.

I am so glad I finally decided to get this and it will definitely make ironing and sewing much easier!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Iron, May 28, 2007
I lost a bet with my wife -- so I now do all of the ironing. No problem. I like this iron A LOT.

Two things - the O ring was torn on the tank valve (out of the box)-- the valve you screw into the water tank. It takes a 11 x 2.5 mm O ring.

Also, the unit has to completely cool down before adding more water to it.

I waited an hour after unplugging it -- when I poured water into the tank I got a nasty surprise. It looked like an erupting geyser.

Be careful and enjoy ironing (if that's possible).

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Iron !!!, June 20, 2007
I received this iron as a gift I had always wanted one but after using my mother-in-laws didn't realize how much I needed one. I iron most of our clothes and it does what it promises, cutting my ironing down to half. I was amazed at the ease of use and the amount of steam this iron creates. Not to mention the length of time I can iron before I have to fill up the tank. It does take a little getting used to as it does take around 7 minutes to warm up and ready to iron, but comparing that to the time you save over-all is not an inconvenience at all. It is a quality product and the iron; because it is not filled with water, is not heavy and is not burden to iron over a long period of time. I would recommend this iron for anyone who wants a professional, time saving, quality product. I look forward to ironing now......well at least I don't dread it like I used to.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rowenta DG5030 Pressure Iron & Steamer, June 7, 2007
Linda Hisaw (Huntsville, Alabama United States) - See all my reviews
The iron does exactly what it says it can do. The steam is very powerful. I used my own ironing board, and it kept collapsing because of the weight of the iron/tank, so my husband had to modify the ironing board. If you order the Rowenta board, I'm sure this will not be an issue. I wish the tank could hold more water, but in reality I am usually ready to stop ironing by the time the water runs out. You have to remember that you cannot leave water in the tank between ironings, but you don't have to use distilled water!! I have not tried the vertical ironing, but I'm sure it will do fine. It is good to keep a regular iron for quick jobs (and if your kids need to iron), because it does take 7 minutes to heat. Overall it is great!!! Linda

5.0 out of 5 stars My Rowenta Iron!!!, June 12, 2007
I have always wanted an iron like this from when I worked in a laundry / dry cleaners store. I like the ability to be able to set the amount of steam separate from the temperature. I haven't even used it to the limit yet!!!