Published on August 28, 2005 by Rudy

1.0 out of 5 stars Not good with XP
Published on September 1, 2005 by P. Parker

1.0 out of 5 stars Not good with XP, September 1, 2005
This review is from: ROXIO EASY CD & DVD (CD-ROM)
Installing this program on a computer running Windows XP a HUGE problem. After installing Window gives the message that the software will cause Windows to become unstable, and that Windows prevented the drivers from loading. Then sends you to Roxio website for patch. The patch did not work, and their support service provides a resolution that involves editing your computer's Registry, a task I do not want to attempt.

By the way, the only way you can speak to a live person is to pay $35 per hour, more than I paid for the program itself.

Totally frustrating software for XP.

1.0 out of 5 stars Product is obsolete and unsupported by Roxio, January 12, 2007
Gonga (Upstate NY) - See all my reviews
I have used Adaptec Easy CD Creator since version 2.0

I just purchased CD & DVD Burner brand new from Amazon. And now I discover it's a "Legacy product!"

It doesn't recognize EITHER of my DVD burners, both of which are MORE THAN 2 YEARS OLD with firmware updates. One is a Toshiba, the other is a NEC.

I went to Tech Support at Roxio and started a "ticket." It still has not been answered after more than a 2 weeks. I have tried twice to Live Chat - no one is available, though I'm "first in the que." There is no phone number for technical issues, just "customer support." In short, there is effectively no technical support for this product at all.

I see at the Roxio forum that the product is incompatible with Internet Explorer 7. We're supposed to "roll back" to IE 6.0. I have a new install of WinXP and rolling back isn't an option. Besides, if a piece of software doesn't work with the most ubiquitous Internet Browser, it needs a patch, or, it needs to be pulled off the shelves.

In sum, this is the worst "new" product I've purchased in years, and the tech support is also the worst I've experienced in a long time.

My money is simply shot with no hope of this software ever working. That is unacceptable. When this happens to me, I stop buying software from that company...for good. That means Roxio has lost a faithful, long-term customer.

1.0 out of 5 stars Lost this gamble! Save your $30.00 if you plan on using it for DVD copying., July 3, 2005
This review is from: ROXIO EASY CD & DVD (CD-ROM)
After reading mixed reviews about Roxio Easy CD & DVD Creator, I decided to give it a shot based on past experience with Roxio products. I've used Roxio products in the past to make flawless music CD creations and copies. Recently, I updated my CD-R drive with a DVD-R burner from a reputable company. The software that came with the burner wasn't exactly what I was looking for, so I decided to give Roxio a shot. I have had nothing but success making music CD's (both copying and making MP3 cd creations). When it comes to copying DVD's.. this is where the problems start. Although this software doesn't allow you to make copies of DVD's with copy-protection, there are ways to get around it with the appropriate software. Whenever I open the Disc Copy feature, and insert my DVD (from my personal collection to back-up), the program freezes, and basically renders my computer helpless. The Disc Copy program is still open, but it will not allow you to click on any of the buttons in the program. Windows Task Manager (ctrl+alt+del) allows you to end the program, but my computer still doesn't cooperate. I cannot open 90% of my programs after this happens, and if you attempt to shut down windows ('restart' or 'turn off') it will just go back to your desktop window from it's half-way attempt after your screen has transitioned from color to b&w. If you use DVD Shrink (free download) and save the movie to your hard drive, and then go to the Disc Copy feature and pull the film from your hard drive to back up, it doesn't freeze for some reason. (But I have yet to make it all the way to a 100% copied disc without getting a write error message... so far about 5 attempts equaling 5 more coasters to add to my desk). Let me note... I did go to Roxio's home page to update the software, and my DVD-R firmware is the most recent to date. After all of this... still just frustration. Roxio's tech support is a joke, and apparently you have to pay for phone support. Other reviewers had the exact same problem, so it isn't just a freak glitch. I should have listened to my gut and went another route, but decided to give Roxio a $30 donation. So in a nutshell, if you're planning on using this program to make copies of DVD's... SAVE YOUR MONEY.

1.0 out of 5 stars Save time, chuck it now!, February 9, 2006
This review is from: ROXIO EASY CD & DVD (CD-ROM)
Loaded it on my laptop. It says that a compatible device was not found.

Went to website, downloaded patch. It said I had the latest patch already.

Everywhere you go on the roxio website, it tells you you can upgrade to version 8 for $20 off. It still is more than $50 and if Version 6 doesn't work, why would I throw more money at the problem?

I could find no usefull information on the website and no way to speak to someone.

I took it back to Best Buy. They said they could only exchange it for the same piece of junk. I went next door to Staples and they said if I bought software that does not work from them, they would refund my money if I bought it back within 14 days. So, I found a new source for software.

Pros:

It did not crash my laptop

It did not cause the modem to dial international calls

Cons:

Doesn't work

no tech support

doesn't work

no tech support

1.0 out of 5 stars Money Wasted, January 26, 2007
This review is from: ROXIO EASY CD & DVD (CD-ROM)
I wish I hadn't purchased this product. Once installed I was never able to get any of the features to run because of one error after another and finally my computer froze or hungup, and I had to run my computer in "safe mode" to get to the program and delete it, and then run a rebuild to get my computer back to where it was before the installation, and since this, my computer boots much slower than it did before I installed this program. I've since purchased Nero and it works much better for me, it is a bit complicated. I've also purchased a program from Avantrix, which I appreciate as a senior citizen because the language is not lofty of complicated it is the simplest program I've ever used, for instance if you point to a disc format that it doesn't support, it simply fades out. Most of the "thinking" is automatic.

2.0 out of 5 stars wont burn a dvd, March 26, 2005
This review is from: ROXIO EASY CD & DVD (CD-ROM)
I havent used this progam a lot but from my experience so far it is not impressive in the least bit... I tried to create a dvd from home video and for some reason it will not burn it to dvd...The programs have a lot of whistles and bells but if you cant burn your project to dvd or cd it really doesnt do any good unless you just want to store it on your computer. Considering this software is for cd and dvd burning that is what one person would expect it to do.. No bang for your buck here it is a good thing that it didnt cost much!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this product., October 1, 2005
This review is from: ROXIO EASY CD & DVD (CD-ROM)
This product is not even named in the drop down menu on the Roxio website so you can't register it. If you can't register it, you can't contact customer service or get updates. It's a catch-22. You can't fix the problem about being unable to register it, because you are unable to register it. Because you can't register it, you can't get any online help about it. Since Roxio's website does not recognize that this program exists, you can't even get information in frequently asked questions. If Roxio does not recognize that this program exists, then why should you buy it? Save yourself the grief.

1.0 out of 5 stars Incompetent, May 29, 2006
This review is from: ROXIO EASY CD & DVD (CD-ROM)
This Roxio software has caused me the most bizarre and frustrating experience ever. First, it doesn't work. Second, I cannot obtain any support from Roxio to find out why. They won't give support until you register, the only way to register is to follow a web link that comes with the software, and it takes you to a website that either doesn't exist, or is always down. Thus, it turns out to be a complete waste of money, not to mention several hours of time. RUN, don't WALK away from this software and this company.

2.0 out of 5 stars I have seen good quality software, mediocre software, poor quality software and "Roxio Easy CD & DVD"., November 9, 2005
This review is from: ROXIO EASY CD & DVD (CD-ROM)
It is easy to install, but other than that, this software doesn't offer anything good. If you are lucky, you may be able to burn some CD's and DVDs (at least once in a while).

I was able to burn a couple of DVDs (just data, nothing fancy), but have a lot of trouble using it for anything else, the user interface is one of the worst I have seen; overall the experience using this product is quite poor.

Believe me, it is not worth the $30 dollars I paid for it. If you get it for less than $5 in a bargain bin or as a gift, give it a try, it and make it work for you; otherwise save your money and get something better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just right -- if you want simple & unadorned CD/DVD functions, August 28, 2005
Rudy "pain-doc" (Columbia, SC USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ROXIO EASY CD & DVD (CD-ROM)
I've seen the reviews by others, and concur that the software lacks the bells and whistles of the newer full Roxio product (ver 7). BUT ... if you're looking for some simple features that don't hog a lot of drive space or CPU cycles, this earlier product (ver 6) fits the bill. I've been looking for a simple packet-writing program to drag-and-drop files for archiving or transfer between systems [your old floppy 'sneakernet'], and it's just right for that simple task. Window's XP file transfer is just miserable, as it treats a document like graphics material, storing it to disk, then writing track-by-track with balloons and other distractions. This package lets you format and write/delete to RW discs without hassle. Better yet, in "Custom" installation you can pick and choose the functions you need, and forget about the fancy 'Control Center'. For my simple needs it works like a charm at minimal cost.

ROXIO EASY CD & DVD
ROXIO EASY CD & DVD by Roxio (Windows 2000 / Vista / XP / XP Professional)
Used & New from: $2.52