4.0 out of 5 stars So Far So Good
The jury is still out, for me, on Creator 2012, but so far it is performing well and not causing freeze-ups and/or total operating system/computer failure as past editions have done. The few issues I have had at least have had quick response from Roxio support.
There are a few things it says it will do that it will not do, but they are not of great importance and...
Published on October 22, 2011 by KMM

1.0 out of 5 stars Roxio Creator Pro 2012 NOT RECOMMENDED
I reluctantly upgraded to Roxio 2012 Pro to find that Roxio has once again failed to provide the user with a selective installer, gives no consideration to the size of the installation (e.g., conscious software vendors are responsive to SSDs and user needs), and no user input as to which services and startups are installed/enabled.

In terms of system...
Published on November 25, 2011 by F. Donald

1.0 out of 5 stars Roxio Creator Pro 2012 NOT RECOMMENDED, November 25, 2011

In terms of system performance and bugs, prior to locating and disabling 5 unneeded startups and 4 unneeded services that were installed by Roxio Creator 2012, the performance of my Intel Core i7 Extreme 980X Win 7 (64bit) based system was noticeably impacted, which is not typical for a high end system. Additionally, Roxio BackOnTrack crashes whenever I attempt to configure backup settings, Videowave crashes at launch and MYDVD crashes while importing video. Roxio Creator 2011 sp1 worked fine... VERY DISAPPOINTING...

Relative to Roxio BackOnTrack, I have high end drive imaging and recovery software on my computer and no need for a comparatively unreliable and featureless product such as Roxio BackOnTrack. Furthermore, I am personally not looking to have hard drive recovery software forced on me when I purchase CD/DVD burning software.

Relative to Blue Ray media, the program offers the ability to burn to Blue Ray media but requires the purchase of the Roxio Blu-ray Playback Plug-In for another $19.99 to play Blue Ray media on the computer.

In terms of compatibility, Roxio 2012 Pro installed third party software such as DivX without prompting. Being a conduit for unsolicited advertisements (i.e., SPAM) aside, DivX is incompatible with an existing codec pack on my computer, hijacked extensions from my default video player, and does not properly remove registry entries when uninstalled.

In terms of the software as a whole, Roxio Creator 2012 Pro is markedly similar to the previous version with the addition of a number of non-integrated third party applications, absolutely no ability for the user to selectively install desired features, startups and/or services, and conversely, little consideration given to individual user needs.

Overall, I see no benefit in upgrading from Roxio Creator 2011 to 2012 and I DO NOT RECOMMEND Roxio Creator Pro 2012 for new users over more economical and user friendly programs.

1.0 out of 5 stars Roxio NXT Sucks, November 20, 2012
This review is from: Creator NXT (2013) (CD-ROM)
I have used Roxio Creator for ten years on an older Dell Pentium 4 computer. I had no problems with previous versions. I recently purchased a new Dell computer with window 7 (up-graded to Window 8 Pro). Roxio 10 would not work on my new system and Roxio had no patches to make it work so I researched and decided to purchase Creator NXT after checking Roxio's web page - they say it is compatible with Windows 8. I installed the software and My DVD and VideoWave programs would shut down when ever I tried to import a video to edit or burn to DVD. Roxio has virtually no support. on their web page they give a phone number for technical support. When you call it the message says to use their web site for technical questions. They sent an e-mail saying they would get back to me with in 48 hours. When they did get back to me the suggestions for the fix had nothing to do with the problem. They also suggested I sign up for their member discussion group -which I did.

A member suggested I shut down my firewall and anti-virus software and install Roxio's installation disc and "repair" the installation. It worked for about an hour. I was able to edit 5 videos and create one DVD, no problem. I tried to create two other projects and I would get the "Software not responding" screen - it would freeze at 97% of encoding the project. I must have tried 6x.

Now the software won't even open. It shuts down every time I try to add a video clip.

I have spent too much time with this software. The company I purchased from is refunding my money since they assured me before the purchase via e-mail that the software was compatible with Windows 8. It is not compatible with my Window's 8 system!

I have order Cyberlink Media Suite 10 Ultra. I hope it works.

1.0 out of 5 stars NOT RECOMMEND, November 25, 2011
Roxio has once again failed to provide the user with a selective installer (i.e., install and removal is all or nothing), gives no consideration to the size of the installation (e.g., conscious software vendors are responsive to SSDs and user needs), and no user input as to which third party applications, services and startups are installed/enabled. Conversely, the software does not properly remove registry entries, files and folders when uninstalled.

If you need Blu-ray support, please note that Roxio Creator 2012 requires the purchase of the High-Def/Blu-ray Disc Plug-In at $19.99 to burn Blu-ray media and the purchase of Roxio Blu-ray Playback Plug-In for another $19.99 to play Blue Ray media on the computer. I would recommend purchasing Roxio Creator 2012 Pro if you need or plan to burn/watch Blu-ray media.

In terms of performance and bugs, Roxio BackOnTrack crashes whenever I attempt to configure backup settings, Videowave crashes at launch and MYDVD crashes while importing video. Everything worked fine in Roxio Creator 2011... Roxio Creator 2012 installed DivX on my computer without prompting, which corrupted an existing codec pack, hijacked extensions from my default video player, and does not properly remove registry entries when uninstalled. It took about 20 minutes to fix... In general, the entire package is incredibly invasive and will alter many system settings without prompting. Lastly, the bloated installation in combination with third party applications, 5 unneeded startups and 4 unneeded services noticeably impacted performance of my high end system until disabled.

Overall, Roxio Creator 2012 Pro is markedly similar to the previous version with the addition of a number of non-integrated third party applications, absolutely no ability for the user to selectively install desired features, startups and/or services, and conversely, little consideration given to individual user needs. I am baffled that Roxio software developers have neglected to address this major and longstanding criticism of this software?

1.0 out of 5 stars Crappy Software, October 19, 2012

Exploitive practices
Bad History
Website Abuse
Customer Account Abuse

The earlier version were Borderline but the recent versions are completely dysfunctional.

Support does not exists for the most serious problems the software has, and failure is immanent.

Issues begin upon installation which support has I would say an %80 probability of helping Just Uninstall and re-install until you've blown away hours of time and frustration. After which elements such as Disk Backup are omitted from the win7 (64bit) OS Only.

When the CORE creator engine fails (Videowave) you get NO error message and therefore EVEN if you can get support they will direct you to forums where you will spend hours trying to get a hint on what could possibly be the problem.

When the program works (which is at best %20 of the time) it creates coaster out of your DVD's, and blu-rays.

A new scam has also been introduced by the NEW owners of the software (Corel) in that the old versions are totally crippled from even installing properly and you are basically bombarded with Ads to buy the new version which is even more crippleware.

I am happy Sony Dumped these losers and feel foolish in thinking that the software might have been re-written by the Corel users who in there time were as good as the original developers of this product Adaptec. I was $50 wrong and $100+/- in media and time paid for it!

Duf

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad software worse customer service, January 3, 2012
H. Lee "HB Owen" (Huntington Beach, CA. USA) - See all my reviews
The first day I installed Roxio creator 2012, it looked working fine. I could copy my CDs and edit the sounds. After a week or two, it stopped working. So, I asked for an advice on customer service. They had no clue what they were saying. They just told me to contact PC manufacturer. WTF. I payed for an absolute trash and I regret it. I will never buy any Roxio product again. I hope you wouldn't make the same mistake I did.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terribly buggy software and useless customer service, January 26, 2012
Ever since Easy CD Creator became Roxio, I have had trouble with their software. With Creator 2010 I got crashes so frequently that I would typically save after every two pictures I would add to a spreadsheet. Even though the web was full of people with similar problems, Roxio technical support claimed that they had never heard of such a problem and continually suggested that I do things to change my system like defrag my harddrive, or remove and reinstall the software over and over again, all the time ignoring the fact that I had a repeatable crash of their software.

Now, because I am a glutton for punishment, I have purchased Roxio 2012 for my new Windows7 system (because it was on sale).
The software wont even install!
It gets all the way to the end and then uninstalls everthing before presenting a non-descriptive error message.
And now Roxio's (not very) technical support is once again giving me the runaround and having me attempt to reinstall the software in slightly different ways. If it ever completes the installation, I don't know if it will work any better than it has in the past for me. The simple fact that they can't even get their installation right is not a good sign of things to come.
I really just need to return the software and go find a better product.

Can anybody recommend a product that works better?

1.0 out of 5 stars Wil never again buy a Roxio product, October 4, 2012
This review is from: Creator NXT (2013) (CD-ROM)
I have been buying Roxio products for years. But I will never buy another. This product did not work for me - it could not rip CDs, while my earlier version (Creator 10) did and continues to do so. I worked with their tech help, spent hours trouble-shooting, nothing worked. Tried to get a refund - but the links on their web site ran in circles, always back to the originating page - the refund request page did not exist. What a miserable experience! I finally gave up, removed the program, and kissed my money goodbye.

1.0 out of 5 stars Roxio NXT DVD Creator is Bad News, January 5, 2013
This review is from: Creator NXT (2013) (CD-ROM)
I've been purchasing this product for 10 years. The only thing I use it for is to do my Family DVD at the end of the year. If it would work it would be great. It NEVER works as advertised. Every year I upgrade thinking that it will work--IT NEVER DOES. I just spent 100 hours making 1 change at a time (that would be saving and restarting the program before it crashes ever 3 minutes). Do you know how many times I had to restart it while creating a family video DVD? Over 400 times!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Guess what--just as I was putting the final touches on it, it crashed so bad that now I can't open the file I created. After screaming for awhile, I decided post this review. Like it? Don't tell me about Roxio support. Roxio doesn't even make it easy to contact a real person. There is no phone number. I worked with someone by email--she wasn't helpful. I read all of the Roxio "fixes." They don't work. I have a brand new computer with Windows 7 and 8 GB of RAM. It is a clean install about a week old and Roxio NXT DVD Creator doesn't work on it. How about paying me $1,000? That's about 1 dollar an hour that I put into that stupid program called Creator NXT. How can Roxio let a product like this go out year after year. I'm an IT Professor and I have never experienced such an distasterous program like this. Do I sound frustrated? My voice hurts from screaming after I lost all my work for the last 2 weeks doing what should take about 6 hours. Roxio Creator NXT sucks! Who are their competitors? I need a program that works to make my family video for 2012. Am I angry? Hell yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just waisted another $80 bucks on this crappy product! I'd love to go to Roxio for a month so I could lead a project team to find out who or what the problem is there. Roxio puts alot of useless garbage out on their support website. They need a real help desk with real people you can talk to? Oh yea, you have to pay for "premium support" to get that. Guess what? I through with Roxio. Just because Roxio puts alot of garbage out on their site doesn't make their Customer Support Service very good. How about fixing the program? Ever heard of Total Quality Mangement? ISO 9000? They should look it up. I'm done venting. I'm done with Roxio.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very Disappointed, November 2, 2011
Purchased this believing that it could actually convert blue-ray movies for viewing on my pc and handhelds. It won't play a blue-ray movie for starters, how pathetic to have blue-ray authoring software that won't play back it's own compilations. As far as getting audio to work right forget it, you have no control choosing audio tracks. The fit to disk indicator bar value changes after you start burning a disk, so you don't know if the project will really fit on a disk or not. I did find a DAPlayer for free on the web that plays blue-ray movies. If you have NO need for blue-ray support this software is ok, but ArcSoft is way better. I wasted my money on this and as far as technical support goes I have never gotten a response as of yet. Do more shopping before you decide to buy this software!

1.0 out of 5 stars Roxio must make money on something else., October 21, 2011
I have used Roxio Creator since it was packaged as a little program called MyDVD ver 5, under the Sonic banner. This program was the absolute bomb. Then, Sonic merged it's MyDVD with Roxio Creator and it has been downhill ever since. What a behemoth program called Creator. The renderings have gotten so cumbersome that even my 2.7 GHZ, 6GB RAM, 2GB video ram, all overclocked scream machine cannot handle. We are talking 6 hours for a 1.5 hour production that crashes at the very end of the render (Like literally takes up your machine for 6 hours then crashes). My experience over the years is each new version that comes out works for a while. Then, it starts blowing up. Stay away.

Update
I gave Creator one more shot since I had the investment in it and the project was total fail. Tried to edit a 6 min ACVHD video. Since then I tried the trial version of Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum ver 11. Works at the speed of the old Sonic MyDVD ver 5 with 100 times the options. Blows creator Pro out of the water. If you have any software skills at all, working it is not a problem to learn. After 8 years I hated to leave Roxio/Sonic, but the corporate structure must be an epic fail to put out such a piece of trash. It has to be a lot like where I work with a bunch of people in cubicles with 3 year olds leading them. It's like a scene from The Office everyday I am sure.

Update March 2012
Thanks but no thanks for the tips on making the bloated Roxio work. My machine handles the software. My emotions cannot handle watching a 2 hour render (8 hours for most people) crash with some bogus error. Then, you have to dig into the manuals for some hidden tip or trick only to find something else not working. If you want to burn AVCHD stay away from roxio. My DVD burns work (with Roxio)(most of the time) so if that is all you are doing go for it. But, who doesnt have an AVCHD camera now?? Now I have to blast Sony Vegas. Yes, you can complete the ACVHD project and edit very nicely and burn it to a Blu Ray. But, the DVD architect has no option for AVCHD. For the all in one package, go for Corel X5. The learning curve is a bit steeper, but the results are awsome. You can edit your ACVHD project AND burn it. Also, with 1 hour of ACVHD video (About the max for a DVD), Sony starts bogging down on the preview window, not Corel.
My recommendations would be this:

Roxio: Good for slides burned to a DVD. Video rendering extra slow.
Sony: Good for video and slides burned to DVD or Blu ray. NO AVCHD burning.
Corel: All of the above, plus burns to an ACVHD formatted DVD. Quick encoding.

Dont listen to the geeks about tweaking this or that. If it does not run out of the box, ditch it. Corel VideoStudio X5 plus Corel Movie Factory Pro 7 Wins.

Creator NXT (2013)
Creator NXT (2013) by Roxio (Windows 7 / 8 / Vista / XP)
$99.95 $47.99