4.0 out of 5 stars The Clear Choice!
Published on November 30, 2010 by Poodle Mom

1.0 out of 5 stars At least the fire department wasn't necessary.
Published on October 5, 2011 by Amazon Customer

4.0 out of 5 stars The Clear Choice!, November 30, 2010
This review is from: Royal 112MX 12-Sheet Cross-Cut Shredder Shreds CD's with Console (Black) (Office Product)
Spent a great deal of time pouring over the reviews for shredders - something for home use - as small as possible, which would handle the handfuls of credit card offers, old bills, etc, and there didn't seem to be one clear choice - everything had widely variable reviews from "the perfect machine", to "don't waste your money, it blew up after a day", so it was hard to find a clear winner. So, I wound up going with this one because the reviews were all OK, but there were only 3, so I was worried. Well, just got it today, and it's just what I wanted! Put it in the slot, and it GRABS the junk mail, and boom - it's gone in one second, just like any huge, expensive office machine. Now, if you are VERY worried about security, the pieces are big enough to show a couple of words if you put the paper in the wrong direction, but since I was tearing this stuff up by hand before, you can't compare. Plus, I dump it loose down a trash shoot, so unless the FBI wants to put a team on sifting through the trash from 400 apartments, and spends a few months putting it together, I think that I'm pretty safe. The only slight complaint that I have is that the lower half is pretty flimsy, and it takes a second or two extra to get the bin back in flush with the main body.
Oh, and love the casters on the bottom, so I can easily move it to the outlet, and shove it out of sight when I'm done. Of course I just got it, so I can't comment on how long it will last, but I have a feeling that it will be just fine - very good value for this price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Way way better than the Big Box Store machine, April 20, 2011
J. Wegner (Houston, TX USA) - See all my reviews
We bought a Royal from one of the Big Box Stores (club). It was promoted on its box as 14 page cross cut shredder. Well, it cross cut in the conventional sense but 4 sheets of regular 20lb copy machine paper would bog it down and 5 sheets would jam it. It also did several overheats and shut itself down while we tried to production-shred old documents. We took the piece of junk back. We bought this machine because it had the fewest legitimate sounding negative reviews of all the lower end Amazon offerings.

This one works well and chews up heaps of old junk mail without overheating or jamming. It will even eat those dozens of bank promotions with the "write your own cash advance check" inside, without opening the envelope. Big plus. We've now run about 2 banker's box loads of paper through it and have no complaints.

Negative (and the only reason for not giving this 5 stars) is that the manufacturers are all liars. This machine would no more eat 12 sheets of any type of paper than it would eat 500 sheets at a time. The limit on this machine is 6 to 8 sheets of paper, depending on the width, thickness and paper strength.

One other nit-picky concern might be the "cross cut" pattern. Rather than confetti-sized paper bits, this machine puts out little short strips ... confetti wide but about an inch long -- long enough to possibly contain a complete account number or bit of sensitive information. I'm not quite that paranoid but this is definitely not high enough security if you're really worried about data theft.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, works just fine, January 18, 2011
I had an older shredder that just did strips. It had a propensity to plug up, and putting it in reverse often did not solve the problem, so had to unplug it and try to clean out the jammed little pieces of paper. With tweezers, needle-nosed pliers and a lot of patience, I could usually get all the paper out, but it was a chore. It finally just quit working after a couple of years.

Also, it only took one sheet at a time, did not have an auto setting, and was extremely noisy.

This Royal shredder is a vast improvement. It is far less noisy, and the auto setting makes it extremely easy. I limit the number of sheets to eight, and it eats them up easily with no jams. I have tried envelopes and 4x6 cards, and they all are taken quickly.

As one other reviewer wrote, the removable basket is a bit flimsy, but it will fit in OK if I push it gently. Also, wish it were a bit larger, but all in all, I am very pleased with this unit.

Now I'm glad the old one quit working. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars cross cut paper shredder, August 17, 2010
It really works great cross cutting which I needed it to do and it takes up till 12 sheets as promised.
I love the fact it has little wheels on, so I can move it around in the office, and it's easy to clean under.

1.0 out of 5 stars At least the fire department wasn't necessary., October 5, 2011
Shredder is easy to setup and use. The manual that comes with this shredder recommends 2 minute shred time with 25 minute breaks in between to let the motor cool. During my first use, I shredded about 20 sheets, roughly 4 at a time, in about 30-45 seconds. A very light work load for a shredder of this type. At the end of this time frame, I noticed a lot of smoke coming from the unit. I immediately unplugged it and expected the smoke to stop. However, the smoke got thicker so I immediately ran the unit outside to cool. This took about 60 minutes. (The unit remained extremely hot for about 30 minutes.) I bought this shredder because of previous reviews, and this may be a defective one as there are not other reviews like this. I will be avoiding Royal office products from here on out.

Also, manual claims the unit comes with an overheat shut off, safety precaution. This safety feature was no where to be found in my case.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a good long-term choice, May 8, 2011
KWI (Sunset, TX, US) - See all my reviews
We have owned the Royal 112MX shredder for 5 or 6 years. In the beginning, the shredder worked perfectly, but after about 4 years, the auto-shutoff sensing quit working properly. Switching to reverse and back to normal did nothing to help. A smart smack on top of the unit after shredding was complete normally "brought it to its senses" and it would shut off properly. We just mostly flipped the switch to OFF. On Wednesday of this week after shredding an envelope with yet another packet of credit card checks, the shredder performed flawlessly and was still running, waiting for me to shut off the switch. All of a sudden, the motor's sound increased to what could only be described as a loud growl/hum. I checked the cutter by removing the collection tub and pressing on the interlock switch lever so I could watch the machine's cutter operate. There was nothing stuck in the cutter, it was running normally forward and reverse with this loud growl/hum. Next, smoke started coming from the motor's air intake and the motor just stopped. The smell was so bad I unplugged the shredder and took it outside to keep from stinking up my house. The shredder now resides in the garbage (recycle actually).

Was this machine a good value? Yes! For the price we paid, it has done a lot of work for us over the years, but it is not a long-term product. It can/will fail and may overheat. Most likely you would smell smoke and immedately turn it off, but if a teen were using the shredder and walked away, it could overheat and put a lot of stinky smoke into a room with the possibility (very slight) of starting a fire. My suggestion would be to tell everyone who uses this shredder to not walk away or out of the room until it completely comes to a stop.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Buy, February 7, 2011
Mitch D (Long Beach, New York United States) - See all my reviews
Poured over many reviews before settling on this one.
I did not realize it has a pull-out basket until I put it together. What a nice surprise... makes it easy to unload the scraps without pulling the shredding unit off the top.
Unit is relatively quiet compared to others I've tried in stores. The credit card and CD shredders work great. Shreds paper with no problem. Wheels are a big plus.

My only complaint is the cover over the main shredder insert. If you want to slide a thin receipt or other small piece in, it makes it a little difficult for it to grab... but that's about it.

Got my best deal through J and R Music World online.

5.0 out of 5 stars This Machine Is Awesome, March 30, 2011
Our 3 year old clunky, loud fellowes P45C shredder (http://www.amazon.com/Fellowes-Powershred-P-45C-Shredder-3240004/dp/B0009PYGRY/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=office-products&qid=1301503512&sr=1-5) finally decided to break down after my trying to shred a credit card. The internal plastic wheels broke and we decided it's time to upgrade from that piece of junk!

Like previous reviewers mentioned, lots of mixed reviews out there, but after reading Poodlemom's endorsement, decided to give it a shot - and boy, are we happy.

Size & Appearance: Perfect size. Live in small Manhattan apartment and this machine fits next to our kitchen counters with no problem. Not to mention it looks sleek too!

Noise & Speed: Much quieter than the Fellowes P45C machine; and the machine just sucks in our junk mail (multi-page) with NO COMPLAINTS

Functionality: The paper bin has good capacity (probably 2 weeks worth of junk mail), easy to pull out, and easy to empty. What more can you ask for? Love the wheels to for the times when we want to pull the shredder closer to the kitchen table.

Also like the fact that credit card / CD has separate slots; looking forward to try those soon and will post an update!

1.0 out of 5 stars shredless when you need it, April 9, 2012
shredder broke down after three months of minimal use. customer support has been less than helpful and the service centers are to far to be of any use. this is the second and last product I've bought from this company.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for Daily Personal & Home Office Use, April 5, 2011
Purchased this for my home-based professional and personal needs a few months ago. The shredder met all of my expectations based on the product description and other reviews. I've used all three types of shredding to-date and I've been more than pleased. The option of attaching wheels is helpful to move the shredder about as I need to (note it will not glide on anything other than a hard floor but you could also just leave the wheels off). The CD and plastic card shredders are very quiet and handled both types smoothly and consistently. The paper shredding is also easy and reliable. No paper jams yet but I've also not crammed more than 8-10 sheets in at a time. I wouldn't be shredding on the phone, but it is more quiet than previous shredders I've owned. Best of all to me is the trash basket. I can grab it, empty it and slide it back in place with one hand. Very helpful and no mess to clean up. All in all, I'm very satisfied with this shredder.