Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

on August 9, 2012
I have a small home office so the amount of shreading I do is just a bit more than casual and I have to give this shreader high marks for its ability to handle continious shreading tasks and the amount of sheets at one time it ca cut through. My previous shreader was a "diamond" cut shreader and I always was a bit concerned about how large the pieces were, it would be an effort to piece them back together but could be done - with the Royal I am not as concerned as it is called a cross cut but is almost the same as a micro-cut in my opinion.

The most difficult task I encountered was just getting it out of the box and leaving the box in one piece, it is packed tight with molded styrofoam inserts, great for shipping and keeping damange from occuring, pain in the behind to get it out of the box.

The little roller casters on the bottom to me are overkill, not really sure why they are included with what I consider a deskside shreader, however the casters are lockable and I guess make a nice bonus item, that for me will never be used.

The motor is quite, the paper being shreaded makes more noise than the actual moter, and compaired to the previous shreader I had is like night and day, I saw the specifications listed it at 64dB, must be a misprint because I have a 15HP generator that is rated at 74dB, regardless I have to rate the output noise a minimal and should not be of concern.

The basket that pulls out for emptying is a nice feature, I will note that there are some sharp corners on the inside of the basket that can be a bit of a hazard, not life and death, but a bit sharp for my liking, I will use my dremal and take care of that.

Rated at 12 sheets, well from my experience this is pretty close, depends on the stock thickness of the paper I suppose but I ran 10 sheets through and the shreader lugged just a bit, but worked right through. I think reviews that state otherwise may be due to an observance - if you do not feed sheets straight into the slot the paper will fold over on itself and continue to pull through, as such four sheets could become 8 at the folded over part, perhaps this is the issue some have ran into. I ran a few credit cards through in addition to paper / paper with staples and this unit had no problem what so ever shreading them into little pieces.

I will also note that as the cross cut process cuts the paper into smaller pieces, it also creates a bit of fine powder or dust which is contained in the basket, it only becomes an issue, but that may be to harsh of a word to use, when you go to dump the basket out into another container (bag) for disposal. The dust tends more to stick to the insides of the basket and not create a cloud in your office but I mention it as it may be an issue for some.

For casual to moderate use I would recommed this shreader to anyone without hesitation, I would purchase this product again as well. My only reason for not rating a five star is a bit hard to explain, comes down to my personal feelings I suppose and this should not be a reason for anyone else not to consider or purchase this mighty mite of a shreader.
on October 13, 2011
Purchased this shredder when our trusty shredder died. The wheels fell off and can not be fixed it will in no way ever shred 12 pieces of normal paper.....carbon duplicates of checks..maybe, but not likely. It is incredibly messy to empty and the bin fills up very fast. The motor easily overheats and you have to wait for it to cool down.
on October 23, 2012
This worked great for a few months. We used in a small office environment and liked the fact that it was relatively guiet. However, the capacity was no where near 12 sheets. We removed staples and never shredded anything heavier than copy paper -- however, it eventually jammed badly. Once we managed to unjam the unit, the crosscut function no longer worked. Instead it shreds in long strips that have to be manually pulled out of the cutting mechanism after every shredded paper. Needless to say, we are looking for a new shredder...
on November 19, 2013
Not worth the money...at most I can shred 2 sheets of paper at a time, jams regularly, fills up super fast and is very messy to empty. I have an OLD small shredder 1/3 this size at home and it does 10x the job...don't waste your $$!!!
on May 13, 2015
Have never had an issue with it, have had for 4 years now. I sell real estate and after I transferred most of my old documents to disk I shredded all of them using this shredder and its still working very well. It also shreds credit cards without hesitation. I was very surprised to see the poor ratings on here. Have had many shredders over the years and this was by far the best.
on February 26, 2015
Really good shredder. Motor is quiet. Shreds nicely into small pieces and no way you can put shredded paper or credit card together. Easy rolling casters for easy mobility. Love moving it with my foot. :) Also it has nice heavy top. Drawer is really easy to pull out and empty it. Only one thing it does make some dust out of paper, but what shredder doesn't. It can jam if you put too much paper, but just push reverse button and problem solved :) I only wish that companies would specify how do they know that it shreds up to 12 sheets. In my experience it does and it doesn't. It all depends on thickness of your paper.
on March 20, 2015
12 sheet cross shredder is an overstatement. When I purchased the item new, the most it would shred was around 8 to 10 pages. After a few months of light use, it barley shreds 2 pages. Waste of money.
on June 20, 2015
We've used shredders for years and years; this unit is the least expensive of them all.

It's OK for occasional use only. It chokes way down on anything more than 5-6 sheets. Overheats and shuts down on just a few minutes of 5-6 sheet work. Internal heat-trip fuse has to cool down for an extended period before unit will work.

12 sheet capacity? Not just no but H*** no! Plus the feeder slot is very narrow. BOO!

FEU
on December 14, 2010
ROYAL HG120 Sheet shredder is compact, powerful, easy to use. Easy to unpack and setup, It was up and running in no time.
It has casters, the collection bin can be taken out from the front to empty the contents.
Shreds papers effectively. Five stars.
on December 18, 2013
Bought it less than a year ago for occasional use. Worked good for about an hour if I add up total usage. Customer service for them is a sweet voice that says cut it off for an hour and see if it works....already did that!!! Did you put the basket in correctly, yes, did that....hit it real hard and it came on for a minute...Must have hit it too hard.. She told me to take it to the Royal Service Center, there is no more she can do on the phone. Threw it in th trash where it should have been to start with. NO MORE ROYALS!!!!!