4.0 out of 5 stars Fo-ti SAFE & NON-SAFE Processing Methods
Published on May 12, 2011 by Amazon Customer

1.0 out of 5 stars Very good health drink!
Published on August 13, 2010 by Male Nurse

4.0 out of 5 stars Fo-ti SAFE & NON-SAFE Processing Methods, May 12, 2011
This review is from: Royal King Shou Wu Chih Fo-ti Extract 17.5 Oz (Health and Beauty)
Hello - if you do proper research about Fo-ti, you'll discover that not ALL herbs are treated equally. The scientific data that was shared earlier by another poster with negative data specifically stated that ETHANOL EXTRACTION was dangerous causing liver damage. The safest process is a laborious one in which the organic herb has gone through a CURED METHOD; the end result can be sold as powder or liquid. For centuries this herb has been used for longevity, aging and hair restoration to natural color, adrenal support, and etc. Aside from this, recent scientific studies have been conducted to support some claims, explaining why this herb has been valued.

What is the extraction method for this product? Good question.... this is what should be researched rather than stating that Fo-ti is bad, altogether.

5.0 out of 5 stars He Shou Wu (Fo Ti), April 14, 2009
Jnanavat (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
I was looking for a He Shou Wu extract and I found this product. I really like it. I felt quite a difference in alertness and general well-being after taking it.

4.0 out of 5 stars SHOU WU CHIH YANG CHENG BRAND, December 12, 2011
I LIKE THE HERBS BUT NOT THE ALCOHOL IN IT, SO I SIMPLY BOIL THE CONTENTS TILL ALL THE ALCOHOL EVAPORATES WHICH REDUCES THE CONTENTS BY ABOUT A THIRD. I STOP BOILING WHEN THE FUMES DO NOT SMELL OF ALCOHOL BUT ONLY OF HERBS. I then add pure spring water to fill the bottle back up all the way. Then it must be refrigerated as the alcohol preserving the herbs is now removed. The resultant herbal elixir does not have the harsh bite which is not from the herbs but the alcohol. I take it straight about 1/2oz at a time, or put it in hot water to make a small cup of tea. Without the alcohol it tastes mild and somewhat sweet. my body craves this herbal mix and lets me know when to get more. This method was taught to me by a friend who is a Chinese Herbal Physician. He always takes this and a tea called Bojenmi, also from China, which we used to drink mixed with milk. These herbs are from the great Chinese Traditions and have been used for hundreds of years if not longer. Cant say that about Western Pharma drugs. Herbs are powerful and best used in their entirety not isolating some constituent, patenting it and dosing us up on it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product, shipping, not so much., June 28, 2010
Great product, recommended by my Traditional Chinese Medicine doctor. Really helps with everyday fatigue. Mixed with a little water, the taste is tolerable. One problem with the seller... I ordered two bottles, and they had no way to combine shipping or order multiples, so I had to pay shipping for both bottles, even though they were shipped together.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazon's Show Wu Marvel, November 4, 2012
This product is everything it claims to be. As the previous reviews were
positive, I decided to try it.
The most obvious benefit that resulted from taking this, was an improvement
in my hair texture. There was also a touch of color appearing on my bald spot,
where the hair was very thin and very white
I am on my third bottle now, my bald spot hair is darkening, and the hair is
thicker and darker all over
The only negative, is that my leg hair and beard are darkening, so that I have
to shave more often, and cover my legs.
I am in very good health, because of my supplement program, but I find that
my endurance has improved, plus a sense of well being, and better memory,
but still not as good as it was in my forties

The packaging needs to be improved, as a bottle broke, in my last package.

5.0 out of 5 stars worth a try, November 8, 2011
i don't have a hair problem, but i've had more than my fair share of stress and i'm post menopausal (history of hot flashes & poor sleep). i've been taking one good gulp a day and now sleeping like a log and my hot flashes are minimal. my energy level is up and my head feels clearer. if you are a tired 50 something female with hot flashes, this may be worth a try. now ordering my 3 bottle. personally i don't care for the taste, but for me the benefits outweigh the taste.

5.0 out of 5 stars Healing, June 9, 2011
Since I have been taking this for 2 months.
I have felt beter than I have felt in the past 3 years..

5.0 out of 5 stars Shou Wu Chih, February 11, 2013
Got it early! Great product as every. It is very hard for me to trust any other brand than Royal King!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good tonic, August 1, 2013
This is a great yin jing tonic formula for anyone. It is relaxing and helps sleep but also energizes during the day. The price is so high on here though. I get it at a local Chinese herb store for six bucks per bottle.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very good health drink!, August 13, 2010
Male Nurse (Republic USA / WI) - See all my reviews
I purchased this at Chinatown for about $5.45 by Royal King. It's my second day taking it. The taste if very palatable, mildly and pleasantly sweet, not overpowering. I take a gulp (my gulp is about <3Tbs) x3/day. It very slightly numbs your tongue and mouth for a minute, you still feel it but there is this sensation of 'anesthesia' wearing off in the mouth and lasts for a about a minute. I take it undiluted. Can't comment on the effectiveness of it as I take a bunch of other supplements and Chinese herbs during the day. He-Shou-Wu, an ingredient, in this formula supposedly has qualities that turn your hair from gray into black again (or your natural color) according to Chinese story. It also possesses antioxidant and other rejuvinating effects on the body when taking for a PROTRACTED period of time. One difference is that my identical product is water based, not alcohol like this one.

UPDATE: Aug 17, 2010
After some research on what exactly I am taking, this is what I found:

He Shou Wu = Polygonum multiflorum (active ingredient in this formula).
I threw my 2 bottles in the garbage. People please do research. There are several cases of liver transplantations, deaths, and hepatitis and toxicity. Read my report below.

Original Experimental Research
Journal of Chinese Integrative Medicine: Volume 8 June, 2010 Number 6

DOI: 10.3736/jcim20100608
Effects of extract of Polygonum multiflorum on cell cycle arrest and apoptosis of human liver cell line L02
1. Rui-chen ZHANG (Department of Biopharmaceutics, School of Chinese Materia Medica, Beijing University of Chinese Medicine, Beijing 100102, China )
2. Bin LIU (Department of Traditional Chinese Medicine Chemistry, School of Chinese Materia Medica, Beijing University of Chinese Medicine, Beijing 100102, China )
3. Zhen-xiao SUN (Department of Biopharmaceutics, School of Chinese Materia Medica, Beijing University of Chinese Medicine, Beijing 100102, China E-mail: sunzxcn@hotmail.com)
4. Dong-yan XU (Department of Traditional Chinese Medicine Chemistry, School of Chinese Materia Medica, Beijing University of Chinese Medicine, Beijing 100102, China )
Objective: To analyze the chemical constituents of Polygonum multiflorum extract which may cause human liver cell damage and to explore the mechanism.
Methods: Raw and processed Polygonum multiflorum were extracted by 70% ethanol, then raw and processed Polygonum multiflorum water-eluted material (RW and PW), 50% ethanol-eluted material (R50 and P50) and 95% ethanol-eluted material (R95 and P95) were obtained by absorbing through AB-8 macroporous resin, followed by water, 50% ethanol and 95% ethanol elution in order. The water extracts of raw and processed Polygonum multiflorum (RWE or PWE) were obtained by boiling them in water as usual. Normal human liver L02 cells were treated by different concentrations of eluted Polygonum multiflorum materials for different time, and the cell growth inhibition of each group was determined by methylthiazolyldiphenyl-tetrazolium bromide method. The chemical constituents which had a significant cytotoxicity to L02 cells were analyzed by high-performance liquid chromatography (HPLC). Morphological changes of L02 cells were observed by Giemsa staining and cell cycle distribution was observed by flow cytometry.
Results: It was found that 95% ethanol-eluted extracts of raw and processed Polygonum multiflorum showed significant growth inhibition on normal human liver L02 cells, while the other components showed no significant inhibition on cell growth. HPLC analysis showed that the main component in 95% ethanol-eluted extract of raw and processed Polygonum multiflorum was emodin at content of (18.53±2.96)% and (10.28±1.34)% respectively. Cell cycle analysis showed that 95% ethanol-eluted material of Polygonum multiflorum and emodin had a similar significant effect of S phase arrest and all could induce L02 cell apoptosis.
Conclusion: The main part of Polygonum multiflorum causing liver cell damage is the 95% ethanol-eluted extract, and emodin is one of the important chemical constituents leading to liver cell damage.

Royal King Shou Wu Chih Fo-ti Extract 17.5 Oz