4.0 out of 5 stars beautiful painting but quality of paint is dull
Published on August 23, 2010 by kiki 5490

3.0 out of 5 stars Eh. Just, eh.
This DIY paint set is okay, but I was disappointed with it. The instructions aren't very clear as to what you're supposed to do, and by the time I realized what (I think) you're supposed to do, it was too late.

Published 8 months ago by EmilyJane1818

4.0 out of 5 stars beautiful painting but quality of paint is dull, August 23, 2010
This review is from: Royal & Langnickel Paint Your Own Masterpiece Painting Set, Romantic Cottage (Home)
I am just starting to learn how to paint. While there are instructions with this painting they are not complete and can be difficult to follow. First, the canvas was not the best quality. I would recommend priming it one more time so the paint doesn't get soaked up. The directions do not tell you how to glaze. After researching and talking with individuals, it is best to purchase a glazing medium at the art store and add it to the colors rather than water. The colors soaked in quickly, were hard to blend, and the finish was dark and dull. I had to add ALOT of bright colors and light colors to try to brighten it up. I also put an opal glaze on top when I was finished and then a satin varnish to give it some life. It still was not enough. I did learn a lot on acrylic painting doing this, though. To make it easier to blend and make the colors stand out, follow my advice and buy a primer for the canvas and a slo-dry blending medium (with gloss) to give the colors easier blending properties. The last thing is that the brushes are not that great of quality. Very stiff and hard nylon. I had brushes of my own so I worked with those instead. I have attached a photo of my painting so you can see what a beginner can expect to achieve. (ps. The sage color recipe never worked!! it just turned brown. nothing like the nice gray roof color they have. I had to keep mixing and remixing to get it back to a greenish color.) Hope this helps.

3.0 out of 5 stars Eh. Just, eh., May 22, 2014
EmilyJane1818 (Baltimore, MD USA) - See all my reviews

So, what is it that (I think) you're supposed to do? I think you're supposed to water down the first wave of paint, A LOT. To avoid confusion, let me explain: You're supposed to paint this picture in two, separate waves. The first wave is akin to applying a base coat, and the second is supposed to bring everything together into the picture that you see in the item description.

The way the instructions read, you're supposed to be able to see the, "gray" detail lines after you apply the first wave of paint. I'm here to tell you that, even after I watered down the paint and applied what was basically colored water, those detail lines STILL disappeared. Now, for experienced painters, this probably wouldn't be a big deal, but I'm almost completely lost without them. And by being completely lost without the detail lines, this kit has the potential to be a very big waste of materials and money.

Another complaint that I have is the dearth of paint included with the set and the fact that there's only a small pallet included. I'm going to write the next line in all-caps so as to make myself completely clear: THERE IS A LOT OF COLOR MIXING INVOLVED WITH THIS SET. And with all of that mixing, it would be prudent to have those little plastic cups with lids that other PBN sets have (for storage) so that the color's you've taken the time to mix don't dry out between painting -- if the paint dries out (and it will, given the fact that the included pallet is completely open), then you'd need to mix your colors all over again, which is very time-consuming and (depending on your level of patience), potentially frustrating.

I'm an adult, and I paint PBN kits as a form of relaxation; I can tell you right now, that if you paint for relaxation, this kit probably isn't the one for you. And because of my aforementioned complaints, it's a shame, because this really and truly has the potential to be a very beautiful painting.

1.0 out of 5 stars Are they serious?, January 26, 2012
I can't believe I wasted 10 minuets of my life with this ridiculous thing! It seemed like a nice little to project to relax with at the end of the day. This was the most irritating "masterpiece" ever! First of all, the directions are a mess in the little pamphlet, I didn't know where to begin. It makes is seem like a clear coat goes down first because they refer to the paint as "color glaze"... it's just super cheap, thin, sort-of acrylic paint. It instructs you to gently SCRUB the color into the AREAS of the gray scale canvas. What? The paint brushes included are the size of kindergarteners brushes, make out of something like brittle horse hair that falls out and breaks off all over the picture.

This whole thing is just scrubbing and scraping really thin cheap paint over a shadow of an image, so you can see through the paint, and see the weird little picture under it. This is supposed to look good? Seriously, just buy a paint by number, they look fantastic compared to this!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Idea !, December 15, 2012
I'm really glad I purchased this set. I love to paint and draw, but I always felt like drwing before you painted was cheating. After using this product I see how much sense it makes to to "map" out a project before you paint. I also love photography and have hundreds of pictures I would love to paint. I think I will use this method to turn my photography into art.

5.0 out of 5 stars So happy with my purchase, April 8, 2014
Quinn Z (Fort Collins, CO USA) - See all my reviews
This painting kit is so much more than I thought it would be. I am very pleased with my purchase. The quality is great. The only thing that I think could be improved is the brushes. The brush head fell off and had to be reattached. Probably just a fluke. I would recommend this kit to anyone who enjoys painting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Paint your own Masterpeice, February 6, 2014
This was the first one of these I ever used and it was quite easy and it came out beautiful. I was amazed how easy it was. I highly recommend these. It actually helped me combine colors and I learned quite a bit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, December 16, 2013
This set and brand is wonderful. The materials are top quality, great instuctions/explanations. Everything you need is in this kit, and I think it is well worth the price. I would consider these paintings more for adults with advanced painting skills.

4.0 out of 5 stars great kit, December 4, 2013
this is a wonderful kit for beginners or novice. I did not give it 5 stars cause i don't care for the graying, i wish it was only outlined.

3.0 out of 5 stars Has nice paint ok brush, August 8, 2014
Laura Crismond (FRONT ROYAL, VA, US) - See all my reviews
You must be a advanced painter. Has nice paint ok brush . NO NUMBERS you have follow the direction carefully and do a wash of colors and follow the print on the canvas

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, December 29, 2014
Great item. Everything you need and a outstanding price.