5.0 out of 5 stars Works great!!
Picked this shredder up (1 month ago) from a warehouse based retailer (Cost**) where it goes for less than 50/-

Pros:
- Very quiet compared to other shredders of same capacity (I have another from staples which is noticeably louder)
- Shreads 8 - 10 sheets without any problem (no jamming or slow down)
- Shreads CD/DVD's, Credit Cards, Sheets with...
Published on August 9, 2009 by Sim

2.0 out of 5 stars Avoid
The container bin would not stay in place which causes security sensor to disconnect, the whole thing is made out of flexy plastic, parts do not fit tight. Great look though if only build quality was better, reasonably quiet, fine shred, got mine at Costco [...]
Published on June 28, 2009 by Valdemar

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great!!, August 9, 2009
Sim (Seattle, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Royal PX1000MX 10-Sheet CD/Floppy Cross Cut Shredder with Pullout Basket (White) (Office Product)

Pros:
- Shreads 8 - 10 sheets without any problem (no jamming or slow down)
- Shreads CD/DVD's, Credit Cards, Sheets with staples
- Looks great - (looks like one of those milky white apple accessories)
- Fair size basket with see thru screen (lets u know if the basket is full)
- Comes with 4 rolling tires. You can easily roll the shreader on floor (if you dont want them dont install, they are optional but they do come in the same box)
- Great price Cost**

Cons:
- Waste Basket feels like as if it made of cheaper plastic (need to push it very slightly for snug fit) - But it is not troublesome in any way.

I had no sensor issues as other reviewer mentioned. Infact the basket need to lock in from the top not bottom. And the lock on top fits very nicely.

Overall a great shredder with nice clean lines and a powerful motor. Definitely recommended for home use.

Update: Dec 2010
This shredder is still working great, no jams - no issues at all in more than a year of normal home use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for home use, November 19, 2009
Tom C (Irvine, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I agree with other reviewers in that a) the basket is flimsy, and b) you probably don't want to shred a 1,000 page document with this, but unless you plan on using it for soccer practice or you work for the CIA, it should work just fine. The basket is a little flimsy, but at least on mine, fits in the receptacle no problem, and I don't see it breaking under normal usage. As for shredding large documents, I can't speak to that, but it has no problem shredding 5-6 sheets at a time without bogging down (like my old POS), so again, unless you have super-large (100+ pages?) documents to shred on a regular basis, it should be just fine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for home use, January 6, 2010
This shredder shreds everything I throw at it. I only use it for sensitive mail and small documents, but have never had it overheat or otherwise quit on me. A few pieces of paper do escape the bin, but nothing excessive. While it seems flimsy, when it is all snapped together with the bin pushed in all the way at the top and bottom (it snaps into place) the whole thing is pretty solid. I put an 8 gallon trash bag in to make emptying easier. The wheels could be useful, but I didn't install them. The drawer design is fantastic because you don't ever have to lift the heavy shredder off the bin or set it down anywhere where it could make a mess. Convenient, meets all my demands, and my fingers are still intact.

Edit Feb 9, 2013: Still going strong. I might run some oil soaked newspaper through it if it has any problems, but so far I haven't had to do anything.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Shredder for the Money, July 19, 2010
My wife and I spent the weekend cleaning out our home office and had a laundry basket of shredding to do. We went to my office and shredded for an hour using a $220 Fellowes Small Business shredder and it overheated and caused a mess. About half way through we decided to buy our own and do the shredding at home. We found the Royal at a big box club store for $50 and were concerned because of some of the bad reviews we read here. But what everyone was describing was the same problems we had with the $220 higher capacity shredder. We were able to finish the second half of the shredding at home with no issues (no overheating, no jamming, etc.) It says it will shred 10 pages, but it really has to work hard to do that. I would recommend using some common sense and only doing 4 - 6 pages at a time. Yes you get little shreds on the floor when emptying it. Yes the bin seems a little flimsy. But it was only $50 and from now on we won't shred near as much as we did last night. So if you are looking for an inexpensive home shredder for bills, pay stubs, credit card statements, etc. I would recommend this unit. We have not tried credit cards or CD's, but I don't know how often I'll need it for that anyway.

2.0 out of 5 stars Avoid, June 28, 2009
Valdemar (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews

2.0 out of 5 stars Unless you like a mess, don't buy this one, January 5, 2010
Johnnysfun (Houston, TX USA) - See all my reviews
We were looking for an inexpensive shredder for home use. Thought this would fit the bill but we were mistaken. Looks nice but if you do any volume of shredding at all, you will be frustrated by the mess that ensues every time that you go to empty it. Pull out the drawer and shredded paper goes everywhere. So unless you don't mind picking up lots of little pieces of paper, you might want to find another alternative.

2.0 out of 5 stars Barely worth the money, January 4, 2010
S. Greve (Michigan, USA) - See all my reviews
I'd purchased this shredder to upgrade a very old one and to gain cross-shredding. I have to say it's barely worth the money. The shredded pieces are small enough but the cons are a longer list.

To start off it can barely handle 5-6 pages at once without sounding like it will choke. I've overheated the machine twice already (owned it for a week) so read the instructions carefully on how long you can use it at once. If you're still shredding after 8-10 minutes you'd better take a break.

The plastic construction is fine but the biggest problem of all is the capacity. The drawer is a tiny compartment that holds less than a bathroom wastebasket. It won't work unless the drawer is closed so forget about rigging up another container.
There is a window in the drawer to show you when it's full but the paper tends to stack up out of view so keep checking your progress. You'd better also have the vacuum handy because emptying this thing is a problem. When you have a full container (and not to the top either) and open the drawer there is always some paper hanging around at the top sticking to the output slot. When the drawer comes out, the paper drops down right onto the housing and frequently on the floor. The best way I've come up with is to just shred on a towel or tarp and clean it up at the end.

Honestly, there has to be a better design than this one. I can't believe the designers make shredders so small like we would only shred a page or two at a time. A shredder designed to put right over a full-sized trash can would be well received!

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible, August 14, 2011
My previous shredder of almost ten years finally died. While in Costco one day I saw this shredder and made an impulse purchase. A valuable lesson was learned that day.........ALWAYS read reviews of a product like this before making a purchase. The shredding part of this machine is fine but it is the aftermath that makes it less useful than a roomful of three year olds with scissors cutting the paper up for me. If you shred a lot, meaning more than ten sheets of paper a month, you will spend most of your time dumping this one and then cleaning up the awful mess it leaves. Hansel and Gretel wouldn't have needed bread crumbs if they owned one of these machines. They could have just carried it through the woods and left a small trail of shredded paper in the woods mark their path. There is no clear indicator on the machine as to when it is full so it is common to shred too much, which will make opening it to dump almost impossible. If this were the last shredder made on Earth I would resort to placing a barrel in my back yard and burning all of my documents. I could only recommend this shredder to people who want to brag about owning a shredder as if it is a status symbol. For those who need it for realistic purposes, steer clear of this machine, especially if you are a politician. There is no way this thing could shred all the evidence of your corruption in a timely manner. You would be better off buying a herd of goats and feeding them your documents.

1.0 out of 5 stars The worst shredder I have ever owned, October 30, 2011
I have never been so frustrated with a product ever .... you hold your life in your hands when you deal with this machine, and I am not exaggerating.

The pros - it was one of the cheapest out there, now I know why.

The cons: The machine has a piece that sticks into the bag as you pull the shreds out - never been able to do it without paper all over the floor. It is almost impossible to get the top off to empty the bag; I scream and fight my way each time .... we have another one in the house that is so easy to use, so quiet, easy to empty etc ...

When it is full, the top POPS OFF THE MACHINE; erego more paper all over the floor.

I have just had my last fight with it, which made me write this review. It is a nightmare machine; spend the extra $10 and buy one that doesn't have these problems ..............

3.0 out of 5 stars Bin Release Tab on Bottom, June 18, 2011
Jessica Patterson (Austin, TX United States) - See all my reviews
We, like others, purchased this shredder from Costco and everything was going okay until it was time to empty the paper bin. After TWO days of pulling and trying we finally, on accident, realized that there is a bin release tab is on the bottom of the shredder. You need to pull the bin with one hand and push in the tab on the bottom on the shredder with the other.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›