Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Fall Denim Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums See All Deals Storm Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services Home Theater Setup Plumbing Services Assembly Services Shop all furious7 furious7 furious7  Amazon Echo Fire HD 6 Kindle Voyage Assassin's Creed Syndicate Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Deal of the Day

on April 16, 2011
<< I purchased this Royal 8100ML cash register as a bundle with the bar code reader. NOT HAPPY. Copied below is the review that I posted some weeks ago on the Amazon website for the bundle (i.e. cash reg. + bar code reader), but at that time I didn't think to also post my review to the cash register-alone item here. If you're considering to buy this thing, you might want to read this review.>>

<< For some reason I'm unable to edit this review to get my detailed ratings of the 8100ML to copy over from my other 8100ML review, so all I can do is rate it overall 2 stars in this review. Here are what you would see in my 8100ML + bar code scanner bundle review: #s are # of stars: Compatibility with Mac = 1; compatibility with PC = 1, Ease of set-up = 1; Ease of Use = 3; Flexibility = 3; Hardware quality = 4; Price value = 2; software quality = 1; software support = 2. >>

Situation: small business at craft shows, expos, occasional use. Wanted to graduate from cash box to cash register, + add bar codes to approx 70 different products.

What I ordered: Royal 8100ML with bar code scanner. Seemed like a good price for the bundle.

What I got: register but no bar code scanner, and no paperwork showing that bar code scanner was back-ordered, or forgotten, or ??? Posted a reply via Amazon.com to the supplier = AceDepot. Scanner finally arrived a week later. Probably would not have arrived at all if I hadn't complained. Totally unimpressed with AceDepot. Beware of this "Sold By" company.

The Product: be prepared to set this thing up using a 1980's-style user manual that tells you how to program the machine using an archaic machine language using the cash register's keyboard (there are over 50 keys.) This is way up there on the user-unfriendly index. Unbelievably, the included Windows software called "RegisterLink" CANNOT SYNC WITH THE MACHINE OVER THE USB interface. The people at Royal Customer Support will explain that the interface cable doesn't work on this model, instead you can only use a USB flash drive, and then all you get is .txt data. "We've escalated this problem to our superiors." I tried to do it by editing the .txt file and parsing the .txt strings into understandable columns, but this turned into more than I had time to fuss with. Soooo, had to grind through the instructions and spend many hours setting up the machine. No fun, and unbelievable in this day of intuitive interfaces from other companies (think Apple.)

A few positives:
1. The bar code learning feature worked well, but still had to enter all of the other parameters for each item manually using the keyboard.

2. During actual use, the bar code feature and register worked well.

A few other gripes:
1. The cash drawer rolls open at the end of every transaction, even if its a credit card transaction. Maybe I just missed some way to program that not to happen.

2. The RegisterLink software is supposed to have capability to link with QuickBooks, but it doesn't work on this model due to the USB connection problem explained above. I had purchased QuickBooks but never even opened the box after learning of the connection problem. << added 4_16_11: attempted to download the various cash register reports as simple .txt files. No go. The only thing that loads to the USB drive is the same old PLU data. No reports. Totally unacceptable. >>

Bottom Line: no, I would not purchase this product again, or any Royal product for that matter, unless I could see proof that they had gotten their act together and produced a decent user interface for programming the machine and interfacing to typical business mgt software such as QuickBooks and PeachTree.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
on December 8, 2011
Can someone from Amazon call me to fix this problem about this register? I'ts been weeks
and no one has even tried to fix this mess.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again