5.0 out of 5 stars Good little shredder!
Published on April 1, 2010 by S. Hartley

2.0 out of 5 stars home shredder
Published on December 12, 2010 by Robert C.Weiss

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Good little shredder!, April 1, 2010
This review is from: Royal 12 Sheet Cross Cut Shredder (SC120) (Office Product)
I have worked in a physical therapy clinic for nearly a year now where this is our only shredder. I don't know how long that shredder was in the clinic before I was hired there. Our office sees an average of about 40 patients each day, but we are constantly shredding documents. We have never had any trouble with this shredder! It is about 2.5 feet high (a guess) and probably about 2 feet wide. I have heard some shredders that sound like a jet engine when paper goes through them. This is not ultra-quiet but it is not so loud that I need to prepare people for it, either. It shreds up to 12 sheers at a time (although I try not to feed that much through it when I don't have to) and does especially well with 2-3 sheets at a time. This is still pretty good for a home office shredder. When emptied on a regular basis, our office does not have any problems with it jamming up or not working. However if it gets too full sometimes it will have to be emptied before it will work again. Overall, this is a very good shredder. I always worry about it dying on us after all the wear and tear we've put it through in the office and it still keeps going! I will probably buy one for my *own* office.

5.0 out of 5 stars Shreds almost everything, September 22, 2010
Tangled Wires (Morrisville NC USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Royal 12 Sheet Cross Cut Shredder (SC120) (Office Product)
I've been using this shredder for about 3 months now. Intermittent heavy and light use, I let my junk mail pile up and shred it all at once on a weekend :). I've returned about 4 shredders to stores that claimed similar or greater shredding capacity to this one , they all ultimately got jammed with just 4-5 sheets or overheated and stopped working.

This one's taken just about everything I've thrown at it and turned it all into tiny bits of confetti. CDs, credit cards, mail still in their envelopes.. heck I even shred those thick coupon mails.. it slows down a bit while shredding them but doesn't stop. The only time it did stop was when I was shredding continuously for over an hour and I put in a very thick credit card offer(around 16 sheets folded). It just turned off at around 80% of the package shredded and I could faintly smell burning.I was afraid I broke it, but after removing the jammed paper/plastic and letting it cool off for a couple of hours.. it resumed operation as usual.

The bin is very well designed on this piece, the top doesn't have to come off when clearing the waste, it slides completely out so you can tip it over in trash. The shredding is also very efficient .. i haven't spotted any long strips or bits stuck together. The only downside to it is that it's a tad bit noisy but hey I'll take grinding noise over inefficient shredding anyday.

Overall, I'm extremely happy with this shredder.. it works like a professional office shredder at a fraction of the cost.

2.0 out of 5 stars home shredder, December 12, 2010
Robert C.Weiss (Racine, WI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Royal 12 Sheet Cross Cut Shredder (SC120) (Office Product)
I've had this shredder for about 6 months. I do shredding of mostly junk mail and important documents no longer needed. If I had to buy this again I would not. It shreds well enough, and can handle those pesky credit card applications / junk mail without difficulty. My complaint however is the bin. It's nice that you don't have to remove the shredder itself, but the design for the bin removal to empty your shredded paper is quite poor in my opinion. Even when its only 3/4 full, pulling out the bin is always a mess, leaving shredded paper scattered all over the floor. and if it is full, have your broom ready.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Real Cut-up, July 22, 2010
This review is from: Royal 12 Sheet Cross Cut Shredder (SC120) (Office Product)
I bought the Royal 12 sheet cross cut shredder to replace a shredder I burnt out. Overall this is a great product. It works well, is easy to empty with the front drawer feature. The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is because the pull out, drawer container arrived cracked although well packed for shipment. I had such a backlog of things to shred that I didn't return it but just repaired it myself.

1.0 out of 5 stars An inexpensive shredder with problems, July 10, 2011
Airedad (Atlanta, GA) - See all my reviews
I received one of these two years ago as a gift from my wife for light duty shredding in a home office. I did not buy it at Amazon and I wish I had - then I could have returned it.

BACKGROUND: I have a home office where (until 6 months ago) I worked perhaps one day a week. While this shredder was nice for the first week, after that its cheap construction began to cause problems. About 6 months ago, I replaced it with a better-made shredder (from another vendor) and let my son (a student, still living at home) use it for occasional shredding in his room. Now it gets used maybe once or twice a week for 1-3 pages tops, and it actually still runs and sometimes even works.

CAVEAT: Admittedly,I may simply have gotten a lemon, but I couldn't return it (no receipt and not sure where it was bought).

Pros: Price, looks, motor still runs after 2 years, still cuts one or two sheets at a time usually.

Cons: Where to begin. The autofeed worked for a about a month and then quit completely. Holding the feed button down to get it to finish one single 8.5x11-inch sheet gets really old after a while.

When it was brand new I could get 8 sheete to go through it reliably and ONCE (only!) got 9 to do so. However that only lasted about a month. After about 3-4 months, the maximum number of sheets that it would accept simultaneously and not jam was about 5, and sometimes fewer for rag-based 24# typing paper or heavier bond paper.

The cutters use plastic spacers, and at least one of them has actually broken off while shredding paper (no paper clips although there maye have been a staple.

The biggest problem (besides the lack of auto-feed) has been that the plastic spacers used in the cutter assembly seem to "migrate" and sometime sections of paper come through looking as if parts had only been creased and not actually cut. Also the plastic spacers - which if I understnad correctly are there to help clear paper from the cutter - are apparently not working well. I looked at the cutter on this before writing this revies. In 3 placs, paper has wound around the shaft of one of the cutter blade assemblies (the one in back), and it has become as hard as solid wood. The presence of such impacted paper is my guess as to what causes the paper not to cut properly.

Finally, due to these "lumps" of impacted paper stuck in the cutter head, there are loud THUDs coming from it any time they develop. The only solution is to take out the basket, unplug the printer and turn it upside down, and then carefully remove the impacted paper (I use a scalpel and very small clamping forceps for the job and for the last 6 months I used it had to do that almost every time I used the shredder.

Overall I bought this shredder to replace an older strip shredder which lasted for about 5 years and only gave up the ghost when I tried to shred all of my temporary work sheets (about 100 shees left over from doing my taxes) in one afternoon.

I would not recommend buying this shredder unless you only want to shred one or two pages and not all that frequently.

And finally of course, your mileage may vary.

5.0 out of 5 stars Shreds just about everything!, August 11, 2011
This review is from: Royal 12 Sheet Cross Cut Shredder (SC120) (Office Product)
I bought this shredder about 3 years ago. Once a week I run all the paper products we have accumulated over the last 7 days. I have torn countless heavy cardboard boxes into strips and shoved them in. Bit by bit, I shredded a box a new mattress came in. Cereal boxes, junk mail, old credit cards, this thing has eaten them all. I give it 5 stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent... please be aware however...., August 15, 2011
This review is from: Royal 12 Sheet Cross Cut Shredder (SC120) (Office Product)
Be aware: When you open the box, that the caster wheels should be on top
of the box. If they are not there, likely that they are missing.

This happened to me. Amazon graciously sent me a replacement and prepaid labels
to return the original.

=============================

Both shredders are excellent. The first one was louder like a typical shredder, so the replacement is super quiet and takes time getting used to its purr.

Love:
1) the caster wheels, lay on its back to install, with your hands to pop them in
2) the pull out drawer, i'm a slight person so wonderful that not have to lift
machine to empty
3) the top/machine part is not too heavy for a slight person
4) the on/off switch
5) the slit for the papers is narrow enough not to be hazardous to children
(i do disconnect it when i'm done, though)
6) love that it's a cross cut - safer

highly recommend....

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Find!!, June 9, 2011
This review is from: Royal 12 Sheet Cross Cut Shredder (SC120) (Office Product)
Just opened up my new Royal 12 Sheet Cross Cut Shredder (SC120) and it works great -- looks great -- sounds great -- price is right -- what a Great Find!! I researched shredders for about an hour or so until I finally settled on this one especially because it has the removable wastebasket. All you do is pull it out and empty it into a trash bag and you are good to go! I also ordered shredder sheets to run thru it to hopefully keep it in good maintenance condition. I've got a lot to shred so I pray that it also has great stamina!! I'll report back on that aspect.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works really well, March 29, 2011
andyr "asrosen" (Swarthmore, PA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Royal 12 Sheet Cross Cut Shredder (SC120) (Office Product)
I have come to expect that all shredders will not work as expected and will break down much sooner than later! So far this shredder (admittedly purchased only in early February) has worked exceedingly well, even compared to much more expensive machines. While it is a little louder than I might like, the noise level is not problematic. What I love about the machine is that the paper is grabbed cleanly when inserted, is shredded very efficiently, and, amazingly enough, will take a good number of sheets (4 or 5 at least) with absolutely no complaint or hesitation. I say this because, despite stated sheet capacity, I find that most home office machines become hesitant if you try to feed in more than 3 sheets at a time. Obviously I cannot comment on this shredder's longevity, but I am hopeful for now!

5.0 out of 5 stars I finally found the right one!, August 15, 2014
This review is from: Royal 12 Sheet Cross Cut Shredder (SC120) (Office Product)
I have had many shredders and all have failed to perform as promised. This shredder is easy to use and takes care of credit cards too.
The only advice I have, since I have had several shredders before this is to be careful not to let it over-fill, and NEVER put any paper in it that has sticky adhesives in it. Keep this in mind and you will have this shredder for a long time with no problems.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›