5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Shredder for a GREAT price
Published on August 17, 2011 by In The Know

1.0 out of 5 stars Warranty Procedure Stinks
Published on November 15, 2011 by Gary Borek

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Shredder for a GREAT price, August 17, 2011
This review is from: Royal 14 Sheet Micro Cut Shredder (MC14MX) (Office Product)
I looked at several shredders before deciding upon this one. I have had a Royal CIA 12X shredder for the past 10 years. It was a great shredder. Back then it was called a cross cut shredder and puts the current cross cut shredders to shame. It was an ALL metal workings shredder. I called Royal when it quit working and they said to try to repair it first, because it is or was a better shredder than most currently on the market. The new micro cut shredders are similar to the older cross cut shredders when it comes to the shred size.

My older moldel unfortuanatley could not be fixed because the ciruit board is no longer manugactured after ten years. The reason I mention this is because I know Fellowes claims to have better shredders but for the money you can't touch a micro shredder with Fellowes or most other companies for less than $200 to $300 that will shred 14 pieces at a time.

I bought the Royal MC14MX from Sam's club for only $99. The BEST online price I found was about $145 and Royal will sell you this same shredder now over the phone for about $179 plus shipping. I read all of the reviews and especially the ONE negative review here. I have to say that review did not make a lot of sense; who spends $200 for a shredder is disatisfied and won't take it back for a refund?

Here is what I have found. The Royal MC14MX is an EXCELLENT shredder for only $99. You can't come close to getting this QUALITY from other companies. Sure they are now made in China but show me a shredder that isn't. This shredder does not require any oil because of the quality of the metal that is used along with how it is constructed, a huge advantage over Fellowes.

The shredder does have some plastic or nylon guides near the shred teeth which makes this shredder MUCH lighter than my older model. My older shredder bought 10 years ago cost the same amount of money about $100 from Office Max in 2001. I do not believe that the new shredder is equal to the older one in quality because of the plastic used but I don't think it will effect the over all perfomance.

This shredder is MUCH quiter, faster and will do larger amounts of paper than their older model. In fact with my older shredder I had to open up the junk mail credit card offers before inserting them into the machine or it would stop and reverse. With this new machine I can insert the entire envelope without opening. My older machine was rated to handle 12 sheets at a time, it would slow down considerably if I put 12 sheets in at once. The new MC14MX is rated to handle 14 sheets. It handles. It will breeze through 14 sheets very easily. Time will tell if this one will last 10 years.

Over all I am EXTREMELY pleased with this purchase. Yes the shredder does make a clinking sound when it is moved or jiggled but that is because of the way the machine is built.

I would HIGHLY recommend this shredder to anyone. For $99 you can't go wrong. Even if you paid $150 to $175 this machine is well worth the cost.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice shredder, June 22, 2011
Do not believe the "other" ones review on here. Some people need to lay on a couch and consult a professional. If you plan to use this for home use, it is perfect. Is it a tad slow? Maybe, but it shines when it shreds. This should be more than enough for home use. And the good part is because it shreds a piece if paper into 1500 micro pieces, you can just throw it in your recycle trash can with no worries about bad people putting these pieces back together. Not gonna happen. This is a great machine. And I bought it at Sams Club for 99.88. Even better! The "tinkly" noise whom one person was concerned with is normal for the machine. All that noise is are the cutters doing what they are suppose to do.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love at first shred, July 14, 2011
I traded in my Aurora As662C, a cross cut shredder, for the Royal MC14MX. I was able to find it at Sams club for 100 which was an amazing price for the product. I did not want to spend 300 or more on a paper shredder, which is the price for many that I searched for. I run a small counseling business, and need to have security in shredding medical information. This product is a major updgrade to my previous shredder. The cross cut shredder was good, but I feel much more secure in the micro shredder of the MC14MX. I previously experienced jamming of papers when I tried to shred 3 or more sheets at one time. This product eliminated the time and the unjamming I had to do before. My major pros: very fast, quite, enormously large capacity for the waste basket. Cons: the large size could be too large for a small space...but this is not a problem for me. The rollers make it easy to move.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a really great shredder!, April 24, 2012
bought this shredder after reading the reviews.. all i can say is that this is a great shredder! have been shredding old tax records and it's worked flawlessly and tirelessly right out of the box. it handles those crummy stuffed envelopes from credit card companies with ease, so you don't have to open them and read all that crap. plus, NO ONE is going to put the bits of paper back together. some reviews talked about it making a strange noise.. all i can say is that I don't care if it does the mambo if it shreds and does the job. the noise is a non issue with me and this shredder is much quieter than an older one I have that only diamond shreds. also, I love the bin! no more having to remove the heavy unit over a garbage can. You will absolutely love that feature!

I'd give this 6 stars if they were available. I'm a prime member so i got it in 2 days and the outer and inner boxes were in perfect shape!

1.0 out of 5 stars Warranty Procedure Stinks, November 15, 2011
To use the warranty you must first send a letter (not a fax, not an email, not a telephone call) to Royal Consumer Information Products, Inc. in Somerset, NJ and then wait for a return authorization which will be sent back to you "within 7-12 business days from the date your return request is received"!!!! That's at least 2 weeks even if you use express mail, just to find out how to return the product if it breaks.

But it gets worse, you must then send the shredder "postage prepaid". And it gets even worse. "At completion of the repair, the consumer will be responsible for return shipping charges...."

Those quotes are right from the manual under the section entitled "Standard Warranty" and "Warranty Procedures".

Someone should tell Royal it is the second decade of the 21st century already.

The time, effort, and expense of getting a warranty repair on this shredder renders it a throw away product if it breaks. That is apparently the intent of Royal in using such an inane warranty procedure.

4.0 out of 5 stars Looks Like a Good Shredder, November 11, 2010
Received the Royal MC14MX on the date promised. Opened and unpacked,read the short, straight-forward instruction manual and shredded a waiting pile of receipts and junk mail. So far, so good. It is not super fast but fast enough unless you have a giant pile to shred. Was able to shred 2 unopened credit card offers at a time. I really like the small size it shreds to: about 3/8" x 1/8" along with the ease of dumping the waste - just remove the bin, dump it, replace it and shred some more.

4.0 out of 5 stars a really good shredder, May 6, 2012
This is clearly a very well thought-out, reliable, and satisfactory machine.

It is (as usual) advisable to try to limit the number of sheets to half the nominal limit (so, generally shred no more than seven sheets if you can; this will considerably lengthen the life of the shredder), and to avoid long, continuous shredding periods.

I have had some years of experience of earlier shredders, many of which were not very secure (strip-shredders and even cross-cut shredders), and were slow, low-capacity, inconvenient, noisy, easily overheated in use, and tended to damage the cutters over time. The Royal 14-sheet micro-cut shredder (MC14MX) promises to be a great improvement at relatively low cost.

I have had the shredder for a month, and initially did a sizable batch of overdue shredding (a few hundred sheets), which the machine handled very well.

I am delighted with the SPEED and FLEXIBILITY of the machine, which also handles small staples, as well as credit cards and compact disks (in the special slot, one at a time). The MICRO SHREDDED pieces are easily recycled with paper waste and convincingly impossible to piece together or to read singly. The machine is delightfully QUIET. The rather heavy unit is mounted on CASTERS, making it easy to move around, and the SHREDDINGS-BIN simply slides out of the front when you need to empty it. The controls are intuitive and well marked, and the safety features and overload cut-offs are well designed and work well (and rarely).

I strongly recommend this item to anyone who needs, quick, quiet, secure disposal of sensitive or personal papers, at a very reasonable cost.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great SOHO shredder w Microcut, July 12, 2012
Likes:

- Microcut shredding
- Large capacity bin
- Doesn't jam easily

Dislikes:

- Lots of paper dust
- Bin sticks after opening

IMHO microcut beats crosscut for extra security. I like the tinkling sound it makes when shredding. The bin occasionally sticks after removing the bin which is annoying but not a deal breaker. FYI if you shred labels cut from bubble mailers it may gum up the cutting area and the cutters don't always completely separate the plastic mesh into the microcut squares.

5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC SHREDDER - QUIETEST EVER!, April 21, 2012
This is the BESTEST & QUIETEST shredder I ever owned and believe me, I've gone through many in my lifetime. If you are a HARD CORE shredder like I am, you will love this shredder. It is LARGER than most...by that I mean...TALLER IN HEIGHT, but perfect for my use as do not have to empty as often. Also love the fact that the top does not have to be lifted at all to empty the shredder! The itsy bitsy pieces it shreds into is another great feature! My previous shredder broke after some years (I actually broke it good) and been looking for a better replacement. IT IS SOOOOO QUIET...never had a shredder this quiet!

It cuts through CDs and credit cards easily and quickly and you can't see any evidence of it in the bin. The bin slides out easily. I prefer to use the same tall kitchen bags I have on hand - use them in the shredder bin and place full bag in the Recyle Container in our apartment dumpster area. The bags fit very nicely in this TALLER shredder. Just fold over the sides and push it in securely. You can also open the bin to push down the itsy bitsy shreds and don't have to empty as much.

OTHER GREAT FEATURES are the BUTTONS...one lights up to tell you BIN IS FULL. The other two are for OVERLOAD and OVERHAUL. I'm pretty hard on shredders, but I expect to have this one a lot longer as it is very well made. At first, after taking it out of the box when it arrived, I thought maybe something was broken, but then I remember READING ABOUT THE "CLACKING" sound from others' reviews and once you start using it and shredding, you don't really hear it...but you do when you first get the shredder - DON'T BE ALARMED. I think it has somethig to do with how well it's made as it eats up expired credit cards & CDs, DVDs, etc., so fast and does not jam. Recommend only feeding one at time in the proper slot slit for these items. Look in the bin after you shred these...I think you'll be surprised as opposed to other shredders and what they leave behind in the bins.

I also bought some shredder oil as I know this prolongs the life of shredders if you are a heavy-duty shredderer like I am. Some subsitute using vegetable oil, but I don't recommend doing so as not the same results as purchased shredder oil in my opinion. HAPPY SHREDDING!

4.0 out of 5 stars Works nicely BUT..., July 23, 2012
We have had this for a little over a week and so far it has stood up to heavy workloads with no problems. It seems sturdy, is well balanced, and shreds nicely - both paper and cards. The only issue that we have is that it came cracked. We considered returning it (it wasn't well packed) but needed it immediately and the crack didn't impact use. Amazon, please pack carefully.

After having used this for several months I must say that it is a pretty amazing shredder. It has continued to serve us well over time.

Royal 14 Sheet Micro Cut Shredder (MC14MX)
$269.99 $151.95