5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliantly absurd.
This is a five-star movie all the way, but it will get a lot of bad reviews from people looking for a horror movie, which it is not. It is a movie about movies and about audiences, from an absurdist perspective.

Published on June 19, 2011 by Kimba W. Lion

2.0 out of 5 stars Visually interesting but ultimately dumb.
Published on July 5, 2011 by Adam B. Krenn

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliantly absurd., June 19, 2011
This review is from: Rubber (DVD)

With a premise about as ridiculous as anything SyFy has served up (you know, the people who gave us Dinopossum vs. Crocopillar... or something like that), I expected this thing to peg the old Cheese-o-Meter. C'mon... A tire comes to life and starts killing everyone in sight? Instead, what we have here is a very funny, very literate, and very absurd little film with some great performances.

I fear that explaining what goes on will ruin the pleasure of discovery for those who would appreciate this movie. So I won't.

I'll just say that if you're looking for a horror movie, or a cheesy horror movie, this is not the film you're looking for--go about your business elsewhere. But if the word "absurd" doesn't scare you off, give this movie a try.

4.0 out of 5 stars A genius use of absurdity. As ridiculous as it is amazing., May 14, 2011
This review is from: Rubber (DVD)
Hollywood is full of adaptations, sequels, prequels, remakes, re-imaginings, reboots, and spin-offs. The bottom line is that most movies hitting the big screen are familiar territory. When something original does come along, it usually "borrows" elements from films that influenced it or pays homage to said influential films that came before it. Truth be told, at this stage in the game, technically everything has already been done. Everything has already been written about or filmed or drawn or created digitally. All that's really left out there is the really bizarre topics. The stuff that you either think up randomly one slow Thursday evening or is obviously the result of one of the heaviest acid trips in history. I like to think that Rubber falls somewhere in the middle...of all three categories.

Rubber pretty much had me at Lieutenant Chad's (Stephen Spinella) opening monologue. Hell, he gets out of the trunk of a car just to illustrate the point of "no reason." What makes this scene special is that it kind of breaks the fourth wall while also introducing the secondary storyline of the film. Lieutenant Chad explains what we are about to see to the camera and then it's revealed that there is a crowd of people there who are also about to watch what transpires on screen. Mind you, they're watching with binoculars and their fates are kind of questionable given the film's primary storyline, but it was one of the more unique ways to start off a film.

Rubber is Robert's story. Who is Robert, you may ask? Robert's a tire; a car tire, to be precise. He wakes up one day to find out he likes to roll over anything that gets in his way, but once something more solid crosses his path like a beer bottle is when things get even crazier. Robert discovers that he has telepathic powers and he uses this gift to make things explode. It starts with a beer bottle and shifts to animals. As Robert lives life to the fullest just rolling around the desert and blowing up whatever his little nonexistent heart desires, he eventually stumbles onto a road into town where he becomes fixated with a woman. Not only that, but we get to see how his special powers work on humans...

It's difficult to fully describe a film like Rubber. Its genius use of absurdity is practically overwhelming. The acting is a bit over the top at times, but really solid overall and fits the overall tone of the film like a glove. Stephen Spinella practically steals the show, but Jack Plotnick definitely has his moments. Okay, you got me. It's mostly the turkey scene and his heart to heart with the man in the wheelchair (Wings Hauser) that made Plotnick relevant. Rubber offers a little bit of everything though; comedy, drama, horror. There are a few seriously memorable one-liners buried in the film ("No, come on. It's not real life. Look at you, you have a stuffed toy alligator under your arm.") and it's kind of incredible how you almost come to understand the thought process of a car tire by the time the film ends.

Rubber certainly isn't going to be a film for everyone, but you pretty much know what you're getting into with the trailer. The people who hate it probably have justifiable reasons; it's ridiculous, it's unbelievable, it's impossible; it's the dumbest thing ever. It's hard to argue with any of that, but I loved it for all of those reasons. Some people may see ridiculousness, but I saw originality, creativity, and unpredictability. Isn't that better than most of the cliché tripe that somehow makes all this money at the box office?

Rubber is brainless fun covered by a veil of uncertainty. If you can accept the outlandish premise, then it's incredibly entertaining. Rubber has that same kind of vibe that Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans does; it's bizarre and eccentric on the surface, but kind of brilliant at its core. It'd probably be fair to call Rubber cheese, as well. But dammit if it's not some of the richest cheese I've ever tasted.

2.0 out of 5 stars Visually interesting but ultimately dumb., July 5, 2011
Adam B. Krenn (Las Vegas, NV United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rubber [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I wanted to like this film, I really did. I was enamored with the trailer and couldn't wait to give this one a view. Where it ultimately failed for me is the, in my opinion, ham-fisted delivery of The Plot, at the beginning of the film, by Lieutenant Chad. It wasn't enough for the viewer (i.e. me) to interpret this as art, absurdity and an exercise in "fourth-wall" mechanics. I had to be told this at the very beginning,while also being simultaneously told it is this very technique in story telling which makes a great film and style. Initially I assumed the speech to the viewer/spectator was something a producer insisted to help sell the film so it wouldn't be too abstract, but since the spectators were actually intrinsic to the plot (such that it is), I now assume this was not the case. This pretentiousness quiet simply put the whole film off kilter for me and I couldn't help thinking that the director really believed he was making a masterpiece of cinematic art. Something in which only time will tell. I freely admit, I could not get over this view.

There is some good here, however. This film is actually beautifully shot and visually interesting despite its lackluster scenery. Quentin Dupieux has an eye for some simple and amazing visuals and this reason alone is why I lasted until the end.

This film will likely be loved by some and reviled by others, it is that kind of film. For me it was meh. Worth a viewing if you're curious or as an example of simple and quality cinematography.

2.0 out of 5 stars A documentary on Trojan Man would be more interesting., August 14, 2014
This review is from: Rubber [HD] (Amazon Instant Video)
Rubber sounded great when I read the very brief plot synopsis. A rubber tire with psychokinetic powers, rolling around destroying things? I couldn't figure out how they managed to make a movie around this concept. How do you make a film about this, for an hour and a half unless it's some kind of B-movie with terrible acting and over the top gory deaths? Well, Rubber definitely has its share of head explosions, and the rest of the movie's runtime is comprised of boring drawn out shots and gets repetitive fast. This is the kind of thing that would have fared better as a short film…like maybe 30 minutes at most. I went into this movie excited to see how they did, and by the 40 minute mark, I was dozing off. I've seen some pretty bizarre movies in my time, and this falls into the "bizarre and boring" category.

The movie starts out with an interesting, but ultimately dull speech from one of the characters, Sheriff Chad. He brings up things from other movies and how they're there for no reason. He stresses this over and over, with examples from E.T. being brown to why you don't see the characters in "Excellent Chainsaw Massacre" going to the bathroom or washing their hands. He drives off and an office worker starts handing out binoculars to people in a deserted area, where they're going to watch a "film". Through the actual movie, these people will be seeing everything that goes on, as spectators. They witness a tire emerge from the dirt, roll around, and begin to wreak havoc. It rolls over objects, then when it can't break a glass bottle by rolling over it, it uses psychokinetic powers to destroy it. Ditto for a scorpion and rabbit. The tire eventually makes it to a road, where it sees a woman driving by. Its powers only cause the car to stall, but then the tire is hit by a truck, and the woman's car starts to work again and she drives away. The tire eventually catches up with the truck driver and kills him. Then it rolls about to look for the woman, and the accountant starts to take part in a plan that involves the audience. As much as I'd love to ask, "how will this all work out?", the dull speech in the beginning sums up the whole movie, and that's all you need to know.

I will give the guys responsible for this credit where credit is due- they took an odd concept and went with it. They tried their hand at making a bizarre movie and didn't try to go the Hollywood route even a tiny bit. That being said, when the movie was over, I immediately went to see how other people felt about it. I was shocked to see that it was so evenly split- people either loved it or hated it. The people who loved it seem to be looking way too into things, and the people that hated it either couldn't get past the killer tire concept, or didn't like the same things as me. The main problem I had is that it's just not that interesting or even fun after the first third of the movie. Ok, we get it- the whole "no reason" thing was there for us realize the majority of the movie happens for no reason. It is what it is. Got it. Chad breaking the fourth wall at times, going between his job as an officer and his other role as talking to the audience didn't make sense BUT OH HO- NO REASON, RIGHT?! Yeah, got it. The accountant's plan to try to kill the audience members, AGAIN NO REASON! Like I said earlier, this movie would have won me over if it were a short. There's no reason that this movie, as it is, needs to be an hour and a half long. There are too many times when nothing is happening at all, and the other reviewers who claim that it's boring are dead-on. It seems like the kind of movie uppity film snobs would watch and claim that others don't "get" if they say they don't like it. Yes, I get that Chad pouring his glass of water onto the ground -could- represent emptying your mind when watching the movie, but good lord, it seems so forced when they keep going with the symbolism.

The cinematography was good at least. The desert looked beautiful for being bleak, and I did like seeing the tire moving around on its own. It may seem incredibly basic on the outside, having a tire just roll around on its own, yet I kept trying to figure out how they did it in some scenes. Sometimes it looked very stop motion, other times it looked like it was maneuvering around on its own. They did a great job with the effects. The practical effects for heads blowing up looked good as well, though again, I got bored of them after the fourth head explosion.

If the film weren't so full of itself, I probably would've liked it more. This is the kind of thing where you can read a plot summary online, use your imagination, and save yourself the time of watching it. But if you're the kind of person who tries to be more than just a viewer, looking for symbolism in everything and looking deeper into scenes and dialogue than you probably should, I'm sure you'll love Rubber. This is one I know I won't be returning to ever again. It was essentially a "welp, I can say I've seen that movie now" movie and nothing more.

5.0 out of 5 stars No Reason., April 28, 2014
This review is from: Rubber (DVD)
If you've watched the trailer to this film, you probably already know it is about a tire named Robert (by who, I don't know) who somehow just comes to life, and then proceeds to kill people and animals. If that's all you know about this movie, prepared to be surprised.
While the idea seems stupid, I am for some reason fascinated with the idea of a tire just randomly coming to life, and rolling around, being a living tire. It's the same reason I loved Sharktopus, because I love the idea of a Shark/Octopus hybrid created by the Navy. Though this movie is not really in the same vein as Sharktopus, which I wasn't really expecting to begin with, but it surprised me how this movie turned out. I'm still not enTIREly (Sigh) sure if the movie took itself seriously, or if it made fun of itself. I could go on for hours debating with myself with examples (i.e. The audience arguing with each other like they were at a movie theatre, or the young boy talking to Robert himself, trying to reason with it), but I don't think I should. Also, I am not sure if I feel that this movie is so-bad-that-it's-good (Sharktopus, Any Troma movie) or if it is an underrated piece of art (A Clockwork Orange, The Warriors). But what I know for sure it that I LOVE this movie to death; the opening scene where the audience was getting an explanation on "No reason", felt like a monologue from Shakespeare or a Greek playwright.
There was something incredibly artsy about the scene where Robert coming to life and exploring the desert. The directors gave Robert a personality, a soul. I mean, I'm calling it Robert like I'd call the main character from A Clockwork Orange Alex, simply because I truly believe and invest in the character that the movie gave me. In my opinion, Robert is more of a character who wound up in a messed up situation (Once again, like Alex from Orange [Sorry for that example again, I REALLY like Orange]), than a slasher villain (Like Freddy from Nightmare on Elm Street). Again, the transition from Robert frolicking around the desert and later the town, to the audience's response to the events of the movie was very well done and was well done. There are a lot of metaphors and hidden meanings, which other reviewers have done better than me. Just give this movie a try it needs more attention.
Love it or hate it, it is an interesting piece of movie history that is better than most people give it credit for. Now only if I can get my Rubber/Sharktopus crossover.

4.0 out of 5 stars out in the desert, unknown to most, an adventure begins, July 29, 2012
This review is from: Rubber (DVD)
Rubber! What a silly movie! It's about a regular car tire that magically springs to life one day, brushes off the dirt, makes a few mistakes as it learns to roll forward (similar to a baby cafe or horse learning to walk) and it finds outside in all kinds of wild predicaments involving crushing beer bottles, making rabbit, bird and people heads explode with its "brain" power (which is hilarious watching the rubber inside of the tire flap around in dramatic, suspenseful fashion and then POP! A head explodes!!)

The one thing that sort of spoils the moment is the cop in the beginning who serves as the introduction of the film. I'd rather he not said this film exists "for no reason" as he kept demandingly and deliberately putt it, and that there's no real purpose to it. The plot would have worked *so* much better without this segment, I believe because then we all would have been taken by surprise after 20 minutes and found out that the film is exactly as described!

Anyway, if the first paragraph doesn't show you what to expect, let it be known it's all 100% completely true! I'm NOT kidding! This tire reacts like a person (or more specifically, a murder suspect once the cops get involved!).

I actually didn't understand why there was a group of people scarfing down so much turkey that they eventually got sick and uh, died or pretended to die. This entire scene went completely over my head and seemed unnecessary and confusing. I understand that people wanted to see (using binoculars) the tire actually destroy everything in its path- THIS made sense, but why did they feel the need to stuff themselves with so much food?

Well none of that really matters however, because once the tire finds its way rolling down the desert highway, by a gas station and more importantly involved in a hotel room, things just get completely wild.

Just a perfect nonsense film really. A comedy thriller, yes. I'll never watch it a second time and neither will you, but it's original and creative enough that it can accurately be described as one of those "you have to see it at least once!" movies. Oh and if you DON'T see it, and you live in the desert... be careful. One day you just might open the front door and see this tire sitting outside your doorstep!

2.0 out of 5 stars A clever film-school short film that was somehow stretched into a full-length bore, July 29, 2012
RMurray847 (Albuquerque, NM United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Rubber [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
RUBBER tells the story of an abandoned tire that abruptly comes to life. Not only that, but this tire has the ability to kill with the power of its "mind." There is NO reason that this tire comes to life, nor is there a reason it has homicidal tendencies. It just does. In fact, the conceit of this movie is so random that we are told (literally told) that the movie is an "homage to no reason." And it certainly is.

The idea of the film is undeniably amusing. That someone even came up with the idea is worth applauding. And the method in which the story is told and the film is crafted is undeniably amusing. Writer/director Quentin Dupieux has made a film that is bit more theatre-of-the-absurd than it is a horror movie. The main character (a sheriff played by Stephen Spinella, a great stage actor who looks just a little surprised to be in this film) frequently talks to the audience, and the "audience" is a character too. Randomness is the order of the day, thus virtually no character behaves in predictable ways.

RUBBER is a terrific 40 minute movie. Sadly, the movie is actually 80+ minutes, so it is a shaggy dog joke that quickly wears out its welcome. The natural lengthy of this amusing but slight concept is stretched past the breaking point by either a) too much effort to be clever, which finally comes off as just TOO random or b) endless shots of the tire rolling across the desert. Not surprisingly, the tire has little personality and little it can do beyond roll or stand still...and watching it do these 2 things is not terribly exciting (I was amused when the tire took a deliberate dip in a swimming pool).

The film, which I watched on blu-ray, has some lovely desert scenery. But other than Spinella, it has a Grade-Z cast, which might be okay in a straight horror movie, but here it just adds to the level of oddness. The film is a joke on the audience, but with this cast, it also appears to be a joke on the performers, who have no sense of motivation or purpose. "Just say the oh-so-clever lines...don't worry about why."

If you're in the mood for a strange but exciting, bloody, gory or scary movie...RUBBER is NOT it. If you are in the mood for one of the flat-out oddest films around, you might want to check it out. But I warned you...it's a fun idea in search of far better pace and execution and just a bit more logic.

3.0 out of 5 stars This Rubber is Vulcanized, March 18, 2012
tvtv3 "tvtv3" (Sorento, IL United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Rubber (DVD)
I tend to watch a lot of off-beat and non-mainstream movies. When you do this, you'll come across as much garbage as there was in the trash compactor scene in the original STAR WARS. However, every once in a while you'll uncover a gem. Sometimes, you'll uncover a really unusual movie that's really not all that great, but is so unusual that the very oddity and absurdity of it makes it stand out and worth watching through. RUBBER is one of those movies.

RUBBER is a movie about a killer tire. The film opens with a man (Jack Plotnick) standing out in the middle of the desert covered in binoculars. Then a car comes driving up a dirt road destroying a bunch of wooden chairs that have been set up as though they were orange safety cones. The car stops and a man in a police uniform (Stephen Spinella) gets out and begins talking into the camera. He gives a long monologue about in every great movie there is an element of something happening for "no reason" and that's what this movie is all about. He then dumps out the beverage in his hand and jumps back into the car and is driven off. Then the man with the binoculars begins passing out binoculars to a group of spectators standing behind roped off pillars. The people take their binoculars and turn around and begin watching the movie. Throughout the rest of the film RUBBER moves back and forth between the action of Robert the Tire and the audience. Towards the end of the movie, the audience actually becomes a part of the movie.

So, with the absurdist theatre element in place, the main "action" follows the deeds of Robert the Tire. It's never explained in the movie how or why (and Robert isn't even given a name, except in the special features and in promotional materials) Robert comes to be. He just rises out of the dirt and is. It takes him some time to get adjusted to just standing up and then rolling around of his own accord. But soon he's off and rolling. Then he comes across a plastic bottle in his way and he flattens it. Next a scorpion in his way meets the same fate. However, the next object is a glass bottle and Robert can't flatten that. This seems to upset him so tries to destroy it with his mind and succeeds in making it explode. So, now Robert is a living tire who has a type of pyrokinesis, he can't make things explode with his mind. Robert quickly moves from exploding bottles to exploding living things.

In some ways RUBBER is a critique at the way Hollywood and the studios usually make movies. It's an insane process that doesn't make any sense to most people and often even confounds those in the movie business. I know there are countless times I've left a film thinking, "How did they get to make that?!" RUBBER pokes fun of that and the way that most people are just there to watch a good show. Yet, that passivity can make us animals. But, don't read too much into that. RUBBER is, after all, a movie about a killer tire.

4.0 out of 5 stars A movie that "treads" new waters, July 16, 2011
The Piper at the Gates (Bakersville, North Carolina) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rubber (DVD)
I honestly don't know where to begin when reviewing a film such as this. The main reason is that I've never seen a film quite like this at all. Sure, I've seen my fair share of bizarre movies. Silly, over-the-top films that you can just sit back and enjoy at face value. Films that you know are being satirical, that are making fun of a certain aspect of society perhaps, or trying to make a relevant underlying statement. So is this movie like any of those? Perhaps. Perhaps not. But in my opinion, this film is a breath of fresh air to movie-making. To someone who can somehow actually try to take this film seriously, you will probably find yourself believing that this is one of the stupidest things ever filmed. And trying to look at it from that perspective (though to me that would be ridiculous), you would be correct. Now I don't know exactly what the filmmakers were going for here, but I'm almost positive that it wasn't an attempt at a serious movie. Just read the basic plot. In the most simple terms, a tire comes to life and roams the desert area, destroying anything and anyone that gets in its way. And the opening monologue by the Lt. Chad (done the excellent Steven Spinella) should reassure you, that this isn't going to your normal film. Now I will agree that there is a fine line between creativity and stupidity. And just a glance at this film's plot, you would definitely lean toward the latter of the two. I know I did the same before deciding to watch it. But I'm so glad that I did because I was completely surprised by this film. To me, this is a very clever and innovative. You have a little bit of everything here. Of course there's comedy. Again the opening monologue was great (From that point, the movie had me hooked).Character's break the "fourth wall", where they interact with the audience. It is a movie within a movie, where an on screen "audience" is watching the film unfold as well. It does have some blood and some gore (mainly just heads exploding along with a few animals). Now has a lot of this stuff been done before in films? Absolutely. I'm not saying this has necessarily broke new ground. But then again, I've never seen a movie quite like this before. It has a little bit of everything in it, yet its really about..well..nothing. If this film does have some sort of meaning to it, again, you have to look back to the opening monologue of Lt. Chad. He speaks of different films, and that there things that happen in movies for "no reason". And that this film is a homage to just that.."the no reason". Everything about this film has no reason to it. And I think it just supposed to be a fun piece of film-making. So you can call this film whatever you want. A black comedy, Comedy/horror, just cheesy foolishness, or all the above. But I just call it a fun little ride and everyone with an open mind should watch. Its something new and refreshing, and a lot better than many of those "serious" films that make millions in the box office.

3.0 out of 5 stars The rubber on the Tire goes round and round, April 10, 2011
TorridlyBoredShopper "T(to the)B(to the)S" ("Daddy Dagon's Daycare" - Proud Sponsor of the Little Tendril Baseball Team, USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Rubber (Amazon Instant Video)
A qroup of observers (an audience, if you will) are invited to a remote location to watch something amazing. They are then given an introduction at this place that says that things happen for "No Reason," and are handed some binoculars. Afterward, they stand and watch as a tire comes to life, explorers its surroundings, and learns that it can kill with "psychokenetic abilities." This is supposed to go on for a time, but things get out of hand and it keeps on going on.

When Rubber first hit the marketing trail, all i knew was that it was about a tire and that Mr. Oizo was behind it (check out their music, Attack of the Analog Worms). I looked up the music and saw this confirmed, and decided to do a little exploring. Since Analog Worms and that video that came with it, I have always laufghed at then so, i figured, what could be the harm?

Before answering anything about the movie, I think I should really note that this is not for everyone but might be for more people than you know right off the cuff. I say that because I really would not have gone for a tire rolling around and killing each other, but this is more than that. It has pieces of an odd plot that make it more like an experiement, and the humor isn't just a tire on the loose.

If it were, it would bore people quickly.

The tire itself, coupled with the music, has an odd way about it. You could almost say it was alive when it does its burst and attacks specific things, and this seems funny. It is also funny to see the tire and the way it explores, basically playing king of the road with anything in its path. It likes to stomp and, not being able to, it steps it up. The tire is one element, too, but the way it plays out would have either sunk or allowed the movie to swim. Thank goodness the swimming pool wasn't the early out it mentioned.

The plot was something that got a little deeper, too, and played a lot of jokes. The "No Reason" guy is funny and so are the audience, and the people that play victims are sometimes funny. a lot of things hapen because of actions here, especially where the tire is concerned, and some of that is funny. Combine that with the police and the randomly-exploding heads and you have something interesting.

I gave this a 3/5, and I think some will like it. It has a lot of blood, humor, the tire, and some other bits. It has a silly/funny factor to it, and the explanation is thin. Still, it is something many might like, depending.

Rubber
Rubber by Quentin Dupieux (DVD - 2011)
$12.98 $7.98