5.0 out of 5 stars Iraq bound
I took this from FT. Bliss to Iraq and so far it has held up 10X better then those flimsy foot lockers that they sell at the exchange. definately worth every penny. Still locked, still in one piece, lid still closes. Looks great, and everything inside is in one piece. wouldn't trade it for the world. May even buy some more!
Published on November 30, 2005 by Kevin M. Staples

2.0 out of 5 stars Not rain proof
The Rubbermaid Action Packer is not rain proof or water proof. The latches create an easy path for rain to come in and wet the contents.

Except for that serious flaw the Action Packer is sturdy, and has convenient latches. I would not buy this for camping or other outdoor use.
Published on November 15, 2008 by T. K. Childcare

5.0 out of 5 stars Iraq bound, November 30, 2005
Kevin M. Staples (Ketchikan, Alaska) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Tough little boxes!, April 28, 2006
KB (America!) - See all my reviews
I have two of these boxes, both purchased from K-Mart several years apart, each one was 20 bucks. The first one I picked up in Tallahassee in 1993 to throw in the back of my pickup for extra storage. It is now 2006, some 13 years later, and that first box is still in great condition even after traveling thousands of miles all over the southeast in the back of four different pickups over the years. The only thing noticeable about the physical appearance of both boxes is the sun will quickly fade the red handles to a whitish-pink.

These are tough boxes, but for some reason hard to find in the store any more.

I most definitely recommend this box. I would be nice if it had wheels, though.
----------
Update, 13 July 2008: these boxes are $24.99 at Wal-Mart! Also, one of my boxes has developed a slight leak. If it is in my truckbed and it is raining I might find water inside the box (not always, but it happens). I don't know if it is because it is 15 years old....or because I was stupid enough to stand on it to change a lightbulb and bend it out of shape slightly with 200+ pounds of my weight.

----------
Update, 25 August 2007: I've noticed that both K-Mart and Wal-Mart are carrying these boxes again (you may have to check several stores, though). Or at least the stores in Alabama are now carrying them, that is.

4.0 out of 5 stars Storage Container w/ True Dimensions, March 26, 2008
Some previous comments have disputed the true dimensions of this product, so let's set the record straight:

Rubbermaid claims 19.9 by 14.1 by 12.1 inches, which are accurate EXTERNAL measurements.

Rubbermaid fails to note the INTERNAL dimensions of the product (i.e., where the actual storage occurs). The tricky part is that the inside of the tote has a few nooks, which may (or may not) be useful depending on your needs. So, at the narrowest points the dimensions are 15.3 x 11.5 x 10 inches. As the tote tapers out, that 11.5 width expands to nearly 14 inches.

I use this tote for holding jumper cables, a few handtools, an old jacket, and spare towels/rags in the trunk of my car. The tote is sturdy enough to use as a seat while changing a tire or working on a headlight.

My only compliant is that the width/strength of the black plastic (bottom) should be thicker. The current plastic gets the job done, but a bit more toughness would boost my recommendation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for airline travel, November 20, 2005
J. Matheny "The Dude" (somewhere over the rainbow) - See all my reviews
I use these instead of luggage and I have NEVER had anything break inside. I have carried ceramics and glass items. These are great and sturdier than the Contico trunks, they bruise and sometimes the hinges are damaged if they take a direct hit, these Action Packers don't have that problem since the lid comes completely off. The plastic is also sturdier than the Contico trunks.

The only disadvantage is that they don't have wheels and you have to rely on carts at the airport if you use them as luggage but most if not all airports have carts. As you can tell I am a big fan of these things. You won't be disappointed if you get one and they last "forever" (I've never had one rupture/break/crack).

Edited 11/08/2010. I took out the comment about them not being available at Wal-Mart, it seems they've started carrying them again, and I took out the comment about Rubbermaid in response to the comment by "Ryan".

4.0 out of 5 stars My kingdom for a handle, May 9, 2008
Unlike other large plastic cargo containers with flimsy lids, these are well made and sturdy. Our recent family camping trip was a success thanks to the two I purchased. The boxes also doubled as bench seats and a windbreak. My only criticism is this particular model's size makes handling awkward for one person. There are also no handholds to easily pick it up. What does exist are narrow finger pulls on each end of the box. Otherwise, I recommend this product.

4.0 out of 5 stars great for in the car, August 24, 2004
By A Customer
i have had this in my car for holding all my stuff. like oil, windshield fluid, and winter gear. i love it. i've had it for over 8 years and it is in really good condition. my son has one just like and uses it alot.

4.0 out of 5 stars Luggage, September 24, 2004
By A Customer
Just the right size for airline luggage size requirements, durable, waterproof, and also can be locked.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great item - just a little costly., July 16, 2007
Father of four (Colorado United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rubbermaid 1191 ActionPacker Storage Box, 35-Gallon (Kitchen)
I have used this items for years: scout trips, camping trips, storage, moving, you name it. I have yet to have one break or have one tear. I have one in particular that is mighty faded from use and being out in the weather, but - since its all plastic and made simply - it just keeps working. Having mentioned its virtures, the only downside is the cost. I recall getting these much cheaper back "in the day". Look for sales and free shipping offers.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a bin!, March 20, 2006
L. Dickerson "micahdickerson" (San Francisco, CA United States) - See all my reviews
Yes, it's just a bin. But it's brought so much happiness to my life, I just had to share. I live in a smallish 1-bd apt in downtown San Francisco. This tough little bin allowed me to free up a ton of space in my coat closet by giving me a more-or-less weather proof storage solution for my balcony. Now all of my tools and supplies have a neat home outside! Go Rubbermaid!

5.0 out of 5 stars the best thing since sliced bread!, January 16, 2006
I have at least half a dozen of these action packers -- used them as luggage to bring stuff over to my place overseas. The arilines never hassled me about the size of them, and because they weigh so little, you can pack them full of stuff and not worry about bucking the weight limit. They are tremendously sturdy, easily locked with a padlock, and can be stacked and used as an extra bench seat in a pinch. Wal-Mart used to sell these for under $50 a few years back, but now you can't find them anywhere for less than the price listed here at amazon. But even at that price, they're worth every penny. So for college students, soldiers, homemakers, anyone who needs to store/ship stuff, these are the ticket.

Rubbermaid 1191 ActionPacker Storage Box, 35-Gallon
$92.00 $89.47
In stock. Usually ships within 2 to 3 days.
Rate and Discover Movies