5.0 out of 5 stars It Really does stay dry
Toilet plungers are not pleasant topics but are necessary from time to time. We have low flow toilets which help conserve water but are also easier to clog especially when you have kids who love to use too much tissue. Now I must admit I usually call my husband for this job, but decided to try it for myself since this brand promises to stay clean and dry even after the...
Published on August 26, 2012 by Ferdy

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't take the plunge
Published on June 22, 2012 by Zonama

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't take the plunge, June 22, 2012
This review is from: Rubbermaid 1817212 Clean and Dry Plunger (Misc.)
Finally had the "opportunity" (need) to use this. It double-failed. First, it's a simple plunger, not a heavy-duty one with the extended section that goes into the toilet opening, and it just didn't have the leverage or plunging power to get the job done. I had to use my old heavy-duty one that I'd been saving till I knew how this new Rubbermaid one would perform. Second, while the water-shedding feature (the "sexy" attraction, in marketingspeak) worked on the exterior of the business end, you-know-what stubbornly stuck to the inside, which has never happened with my old-fashioned rubber one. Sorry, Rubbermaid, but total ixnay on this. Gets one star only b/c you can't rate it zero.

1.0 out of 5 stars Coating wears off easily, August 21, 2012
This review is from: Rubbermaid 1817212 Clean and Dry Plunger (Misc.)
After 10-15 moderate uses, coating wore off entirely, leaving me with only a very poor plunger. I'd prefer to buy the "NeverWet" spray if possible and maintain a much higher quality plunger. Avoid this product.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great idea, but that's about it., May 12, 2012
Wesha (Chicago, IL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rubbermaid 1817212 Clean and Dry Plunger (Misc.)
It looks really good on the display stand where you can plunge with it all you want and the water rolls off it. But once you buy it, at the bottom of the package (conveniently hidden from view until after you buy it, there's a notice: "Always hold plunger by handle. The ... coating is affected by natural oils in skin, and touching the protective coating may impact product performance". Well, first of all, this particular plunger is more firm than the conventional ones, and you cannot plunge your sink properly if you are holding it by the tip of the handle -- if you try, it wriggles around alot, and you have no choice but to hold it at the root of the handle with one hand. And after a few plunging, it starts failing to repel water. Granted, it's still a bit better than your average plunger, but definitely not what I overpaid $10 for. It's going right back to the store.

2.0 out of 5 stars Cool coating, failed plunger, August 22, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I live in an old house, with old and grumpy plumbing. A good plunger is worth its weight in gold, and a plunger with a dry, antibacterial coating is a dream not-yet-imagined.

The Rubbermaid Clean and Dry plunger comes with NeverWet coating on the plunger head and pole, and it is just as amazing as it sounds. Put the plunger in the toilet and it comes out dry. Although I have no way of testing the antibacterial properties of coating, I assume they can't be worse than a traditional plunger.
An important point- My plungers came with no notes or warnings, however multiple reviews for the Rubbermaid 1817212 Clean and Dry Plunger (which I assume has the same coating; please correct me if I am wrong) say that the coated areas of the plunger should not come in contact with skin (destructive natural oils), or soap, although bleach seems to be ok. Those who did not see and/or heed the warning saw a rapid breakdown in the effectiveness of the protective coating.

Though the coating is amazing, it's the other area of the plunger's job- the actual plunging- where it isn't quite up to par. The head is too shallow, and the rubber too stiff to form a good seal. I only tried this on a very minor clog, and it had some trouble.

If Rubbermaid can make the coating a little more durable, and improve the actual plunger, I will be first in line to buy them. In the meantime though, unless you have excellent plumbing that only needs the slightest help to become unclogged, I would recommend looking for something stronger.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great Idea -- Bad Implimentation!, December 13, 2012
R. M. Hutchins (St. George, Utah USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rubbermaid 1817212 Clean and Dry Plunger (Misc.)
This is a great idea -- water-repellant plunger; however, in practical use, it, simply, doesn't work!
I bought this product at a local Big-Box Hardware Store (has a lot of orange) for 75% of the cost on Amazon. I had read the reviews on Amazon; and, as usual, I thought I'd see for myself. It is true, water runs of this like water off of a duck's back -- totally repels the water. This is great. The problem is that the plunger does not work as a plunger! The rubber is WAY TOO STIFF. I, really, gave this product every chance to win me over -- I, really, WANTED it to work! I kept "giving it another chance." After several weeks, I had to acknowledge that it, simply, did not plunge the toilet. It came out "dry", but the rubber is sooooo stiff, I couldn't generate any actual plunging of the toilet. I took it back for a refund. Went to another Big-Box store (has a lot of blue with greeters at the door) and bought the age-old, rubber plunger for $3 -- it works great! By the way, in order to keep my floor clean, I set my plungers in those clear, round, plastic, indoor-plant trays you get in the gardening section.

1.0 out of 5 stars Useless times 2, March 19, 2013
The rubber of these plungers is too stiff to actually plunge, it doesn't form a seal over the hole either. The "clean" feature is cool at first, but the coating wears off after about a month. I wish I could return these, but who gives back a used plunger? Complete waste of money.

1.0 out of 5 stars Cool... for 5 minutes..., August 6, 2012
This review is from: Rubbermaid 1817212 Clean and Dry Plunger (Misc.)
Bought this at a store, purely because of the neverwet coating. As a designer I wanted to see this fancy-pants nanotechnology coating in action, as it might be applicable to some other projects. Out of the box, it was impressive. We dumped water on it, coffee on it, anything we could find and it slid right off, just like in the videos! We passed it around the office so everyone could see how amazing it is, and then... it didn't work anymore. Read the fine print: Do not touch plunger or coating won't work as well. Great. So within 5 minutes it turned into a normal grey plunger. For all that nanotechnology, you think it would last just passing it around the office. I'm returning it, with a sour taste of nanotechnology in my mouth. It's BS until it toughens up enough to be handled by humans.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible, August 9, 2013
This review is from: Rubbermaid 1817212 Clean and Dry Plunger (Misc.)
Where to begin. How Rubbermaid made a plunger that doesn't plunge is beyond me. Not only is this the worst plunger I have ever used, it may be the worst product I have ever used. Seriously, read the other reviews. This plunger doesn't plunge. It is so stiff it won't function. Thank God we have two bathrooms because I literally gave up with this useless piece of trash and just got a new plunger in the morning. You will have better luck unclogging your toilet with a tennis racket than you would this waste of space. If it were free I would ask for a refund it is such a terrible product. It is so bad I am taking the time to write a review on a plunger. In conclusion, stay away from this failure.

1.0 out of 5 stars repels water but does not plunge, March 8, 2013
S. Montgomery (Highlands Ranch, CO USA) - See all my reviews
This plunger is hard rubber and difficult to plunge. Because of how rigid it is, it doesn't form a seal in the toilet, and because it is so shallow, there is hardly any water being moved. It repelled water while demonstrating it to my wife and kids (wow, cool), but after just five failed plunging attempts on the same toilet clog, water now beads up on the outer rim that makes contact with the toilet bowl, the same edge that will be touching the floor. And no, we did not touch the treated parts of the plunger with our hands. So disappointing. I'm not sure what kind of toilet this plunger is suppose to work on, but it sure isn't the American variety. I know Rubbermaid wants to claim the thing is defective and they'll replace it (see the responses they give to bad reviews in the Rubbermaid website), and if so, maybe they should get out in front of this and just recall them if they're defective. Personally, I think their design is defective, not just this unit.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this, it won't work, December 31, 2012
I bought 2 of these plungers at Costco for $20 because of its look; a week later, when I need to use it, nightmare begins. It won't do any job, except for staying clean as brand new. Took me almost half an hours trying to make it works. It didn't. I have to make a trip to Walmart and buy a $5 plunger; and look, The cheap Walmart plunger works like a charm.

Rubbermaid 1817212 Clean and Dry Plunger