Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

When reading this review section use caution and understand that reviews for 7 very different and unrelated Rubbermaid products are all lumped together in this one review section. Since many reviews don’t clarify which specific product they are reviewing that could lead to misunderstanding about the item you actually are looking for information on. So, to be clear, this review is for the low profile under bed storage case.

Unfortunately it appears that some people who bought this case have a misconception about what it is and what it is intended to do. Despite the photo that makes look like a suitcase or travel case, that is not at all what it is intended for. Specifically, what this product is designed for is to store items that are not used often but you still want easy access to. In my case that describes extra bedding for our guest bed, including extra pillows, down comforter (off season), spare sheets and extra guest bath towels. Each case can hold 2-3 pillows, one comforter, one complete set of sheets or a complete set of spare bath towels, 3-4 boxes can fit comfortably under a standard queen bed. Our guest bed is a bit lower to the floor than normal and most brand low profile boxes are 6”. The Rubbermaid box is 5-1/2” making it easier to slide in and out.

The box is most effectively used by filling it while it is lying on the floor and then sliding it under the bed. It is soft-sided so it does not have the support to lift and carry like a suitcase. It does however have enough rigidity to keep its shape when filled properly, something I found other cheaper boxes do not do well.

Although Rubbermaid indicates that this box has 3 handles, they are NOT for lifting or carrying the case (like a suitcase). They are there solely to be able to grab the box from under your bed and slide it out. The best (probably only) position for this box is lying flat on the floor, that’s what it is designed for. The canvas fabric it is made from is reasonably rugged and high quality considering the low price. If not overstuffed the box should not tear or burst under normal use. The zipper runs smoothly, an important point if you plan to access the box often.

It comes shipped flat and snaps into shape with no additional assembly required. The price is reasonable for the quality received. When used as intended, this is probably the best quality of the similar boxes being sold on Amazon. As the leader of the pack (in terms of units sold, reviewed and customer ratings) it is worth the price and is a best buy.

[IMPORTANT EDIT] I could use a lot of fancy words to tell you I like this storage box but the best proof of my satisfaction is that after I received them I placed an order for several more of them. That's putting my money where my mouth is.
review image
55 comments|206 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 28, 2015
This is exactly what I was looking for to store gift wrap. It holds over 24 rolls.
review image
11 comment|107 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 26, 2009
I dont' see how this possibly could be used for clothing or anything of any weight, but I bought it to hold wrapping paper and related items and it's perfect for that. Those trash-can-looking plastic things that get sold right after Christmas aren't tall enough to hold most wrapping-paper rolls (who designs those things and how out of it are they?). This is exactly the right length, and it fits underneath a bed easily.
1616 comments|205 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 30, 2014
Do not buy this item! The picture does represent the rigidly of this product. This is basically a canvas bag, not a box! This product does not have any bottom or top support. Any items that you place in this bag will collapse the bag once you pick it up by the handles. I bought this to store gift wrapping because none of the upright gift store containers could handle 40-inch wide paper. I bought this Rubbermaid because it was greater than 40 inches in length. A garbage bag would do the same thing as this product. I am so sorry I bought this.
review image
88 comments|264 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 7, 2015
The description says "soft but rigid" however it is completely collapsable - there is nothing rigid about it. Unless it is completely full, it would be impossible to slide it under a bed (especially on carpet) without it folding up. If there are loose items in it, they will just get all jumbled up. We returned the two we purchased right away. See photo - and try to identify the supposedly rigid part...
on June 10, 2007
This item is a great thing to have to keep your spare sheets under the bed. It is the perfect size for about 3-4 sets of sheets for a king size bed. It would hold much more for a small bed. The only thing to know before hand is that this is not a sturdy storage container, and the cedar inserts are pretty much 3 strips of cardboard, so do not think this is something you will be able to easily transport. It's possible it would be O.K. for storing some light summer clothes, but again- it is not sturdy. I love mine for it's purpose, there is no need to waste closet or shelf space with bulky sheets when they are clean and sealed under the bed!
22 comments|134 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 8, 2007
This is not exactly what I expected. This "Box" has cardboard like inserts sew into the sides... but the bottom is fabric. So you put your clothing or whatever in it and if you pick it up it just sags... I thought it would be more like the fabric cubicles that I bought from target. They have an insert that goes in the bottom to keep the sides up and keep the bottom from sagging like a sack. I put my own piece of cardboard in the bottom so problem solved. This is for indoor storage of course. It's big, and has lots of room. Looks better than an XL ziplock bag but doesn't hold as much... and costs more. Overall I wish I had passed on this one.
22 comments|108 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 23, 2010
I had been searching for an under-the-bed shoe storage case for some time. It's been difficult to find one that would fit under my low bed and this one seemed to meet the specs. Boy, was I disappointed. This is the lowest quality Rubber Maid product I have ever come across. The sides are made of the thinnest cardboard imaginable (think something along the lines of the side of a Macy's gift box). Also, the longest two sides are composed of four separate sheets of cardboard, resulting in the entire box constantly changing shapes as you slide it out, just like an accordion. There is nothing on the bottom of the case to provide strength or structure, just canvas, so it's really difficult to slide this over carpet under your bed. If you try to use the handle to pull the case out, it just causes the entire case to warp shapes, rather than slide out over the carpet. Lastly, one of the sides of the case is 0.5" taller than the other sides, and taller in height than what is stated in the specs of the product, so it wouldn't fit under my bed. The only cedar to be found in this product are three little scraps of cedar hanging from the sides of the case, measuring about 1" x 4." Back to Amazon this goes.
on December 13, 2009
Rubbermaid 3F19 Configurations XL 42-Inch Three-Handle Low-Profile Box with Cedar Inserts, Natural

I was disappointed with the storage box. I expected better from Rubbermaid.

The good news is this box fits under my bed--barely, with not a fraction of an inch to spare--which the hard plastic boxes didn't.

The bad news is that this "box" is basically a large canvas bag. Neither the bottom nor sides are rigid, so when I try to move it, everything inside shifts and flops around. This not only makes the box difficult to handle and move, but also messes up the things stored inside.

I have an old soft vinyl underbed storage box that has two cardboard inserts that make the sides and bottoms rigid. I was hoping to replace it because it's ripped and no longer has a handle on the front, but it's more practical than this "box".

And I don't understand why the "cedar inserts" are even there. They are just two tiny fabric covered pieces that don't have the typical cedar odor that I can tell.
on November 10, 2012
The reviews were so mixed, I ordered just one to see how it worked out. It's perfect, and I'm ordering two more. The sides are made rigid by the inserts, but top and bottom are unsupported and there's no frame, so it handles more like a bag than like a "box". I wouldn't really call it a box, more of a rectangular bag with handles. That being said, it's great for storing clothing and linens and fitting them neatly under the bed. We're using them for out-of-season clothing for which there's no other storage space, and this is a neat way to organize . . . one bag for my out-of-season clothes, one bag for his, and one bag for linens we seldom use but need to keep on hand. Because it's a cloth bag, rather than a rigid box, I don't think I'd recommend it for toys, pots and pans, or even books; it's ideal for soft things, like clothing and linens, and the lack of rigidity of the "box" actually makes it easier to get it under the bed, and the handles make it easy to pull out from under. Much better than struggling with plastic bags, because these hold their "box" shape and contents remain neatly folded inside. Glad I found these, and priced so reasonably.