Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Fifth Harmony Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Grocery Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer bighero bighero bighero  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS

on February 22, 2011
I have been buying Rubbermaid dish drainers since I got my first apartment back in the '70s and took their quality for granted. In the last couple of years, Rubbermaid has cheapened this simple product to the degree that it no longer works like it should. The newer drainers are not as heavy, the prongs are not tall enough to hold a larger dinner plate upright (anything over 10" will tip) and their angle is wrong, the oblong flatware caddy is an abomination in all ways mainly by not holding utensils straight up so they can dry with fewer water spots - not to mention knife points getting stuck in the oval slots, and the vinyl coating is inferior.

Shame on Rubbermaid for dirty-ing its name by offering such a crappy version of one of its original brand-building products. It's obvious Rubbermaid has no respect for its American consumers and it's too bad that young adults just starting out will not realize that this product is junk. I will not buy another Rubbermaid drainer; I prefer to pay more for something that will perform and last longer.
2323 comments|227 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 12, 2007
I recently bought this to replace my previous, 15-year old Rubbermaid dish drainer, which I loved, but which had gotten rusted. This one is not the same design as the previous one. On the original, there was a strip of wire that ran horizontally around the basket, about one inch from the bottom. This strip kept glasses above the edge of the counter. The new design is flimsier and less sanitary, with the edge of the glasses resting on the counter. You also need to be more careful putting the glasses on the prongs on the side, as they could drop against the edge of the counter and crack.
99 comments|205 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 2, 2013
I have an ancient, basic Rubbermaid dish drainer. I tolerated the growing rust for years because it otherwise works perfectly. My rating for this new version is low because I refuse to grade on a curve. This Evolution model was the best I could find in the way of a large & simple drainer, but it is still unsatisfying.

They've spaced the slots for the plates wider, pointlessly so, so you can stand far fewer dishes in it than in the old design.

The old Rubbermaid (as well as the cheap, flimsy version they sell today, Rubbermaid Antimicrobial Large Dish Drainer, Black) has loops that extend along the sides that you can put glasses on. Very handy. I misunderstood the picture here, the Evolution's loops are too short to hold anything. Dumb - some evolution.

The "loft" you see pictured is a marvel of poor design. The prongs are too wide and spaced too closely to make them useful for much, I can get 2 or 3 glasses on it. Whoopie! Even then, since that loft sticks stiffly straight up, the glasses take valuable space away from inside. Stupid! Didn't it occur to them to angle it outward?

The way I'm able to make this system work for me is to add a mat on the side to dry glasses. OXO Good Grips Silicone Drying Mat, Rectangular

(BTW, I don't use the utensil holder, to make more space I use a fine mesh external basket Design Ideas Condiment Caddy Mesh Silver)

Well, probably you can feel OK about getting this product, at least it is well made, and will meet your needs if you don't have too many dishes. But I can't help thinking about what could have been ..... guess I'm an incurable romantic when it comes to dish drainers.
22 comments|94 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 16, 2013
I have always used Rubbermaid for washing dishes by hand, since I was eleven years old...almost 60 years ago! They made good, thick, durable dish racks and drainers. Over the years the thickness has grown less and less. After my last rack started wearing out and showing metal that might rust, I bit the bullet and ordered this latest design, mostly because it was Rubbermaid and also in Red, my favorite accent color in the kitchen. I've used it only about a week and already I'm looking for another replacement as this will probably not even last a year. When they say "Wire" Dish drainer they aren't kidding! This is a very slim, thin version of the traditional dish drainer they made their reputation on. I've even gone to the Rubbermaid site to see if a heavier version was available, but they don't even mention dish drainers anymore. The size of this one was fine, the color is excellent, BUT...the thin dividers for dishes just barely held a solid ironstone dish, the cutting board wants to tip the whole thing over, the glass holders bend easily to fit your glass, but they bend easily for anything! The cutlery holder is a farce, it lets the items slide all over and are hard to pick out plus the attachment to the rack will break off in no time. Just lifting it off to dry twice a day when I do dishes, it's already getting flimsy. I'm so disappointed that this is just a cheap replica of Rubbermaid's past great quality. I can understand them wanting to offer cheaper items, BUT ALSO OFFER THE QUALITY THEY WERE KNOWN FOR, there are many people who would pay more for something that had a solid, well made finish. Now I have to go through the process of finding some other company who makes something that people use daily and will do the job.
33 comments|55 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 13, 2011
Because I have searched high and low for the sink mat I used to use, and was unable to find it anywhere, I purchased this mat. It serves it's purpose which is to protect my sink, but it is definately NOT the same type Rubbermaid used to make. The plastic is "stiffer" and doesn't mold to the shape of the sink like the old mat. However, after time I have noticed that the plastic is "loosening" up a bit. Why oh why do companies discontine products that are superior, and replace them with inferior types?
on July 6, 2007
i've been shopping for a draining rack for quite some time - been to walmart, target, bed bath and beyond, linens and things, marshalls, etc... i stumbled upon this one and it is a winner! i didnt want chrome bc sometimes u can start to see the rust - not very attractive. i needed a tray large enough for pots mainly - i use the dishwasher for everything else. This is a very good size and i like that it is black and rubbery. It also has some anti germ technology - don't know if that works but it's somewhat peace of mind =)
11 comment|80 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 13, 2012
I had been using this product for at least 20 years, no more; they so changed the design it is now junk. The silverware holder is now elongated at the back instead of the cup design in the corner and all the stuff falls over. Take a look at the picture I inserted showing both holders with the exact same utensils in both. The new one is worthless and a picture is worth a thousand words.

Something else I do with my drainers is to pull the feet off, stick a glob of clear silicone in, put the feet back on, clean it up and level it with the top of the foot and Voila, no more rust. See the picture I inserted showing the constant rust problems this product has. Like I said, JUNK!

It is interesting, I posted a review directly to the Rubbermaid website along with these pictures and they deleted them. Guess the truth was a little too much to handle. Bed, Bath and Beyond now carries a product by Simply LaLa that is designed EXACTLY the way the Rubbermaid used to be, with the corner silverware cup. I have now been using one for 20 months and love it.
review image review image
44 comments|63 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 7, 2014
I moved to a new apartment and wanted an in-sink dish drain. After looking around, I decided on this one from Rubbermaid and could not be happier. The ones I saw prior to deciding on this one either sat across the top of the sink basin in clear sight or were metal/steel and subject to rusting. I did not want either of those type, so i chose the black Rubbermaid in the SMALL size. I've used the larger Rubbermaid version on my counter before, and I know it does not rust. I chose this one because it's a perfect fit to sit inside my double sink and it has sides to provide support for my dishes (I measured and compared the dimensions before purchasing). The ones I saw that sat inside the sink did not have sides, and this bothered me, as i wanted more support for my dishes. If, for some reason, there were a shift in the dish drain or an earthquake (I live in LA), then at least the dishes would hit the side of the dish drain and not the side of my stainless steel sink . The small version does not have cup holders on the side, but I don't mind. I use this for my small items like my coffee cups and cereal bowls. Larger items go into the dishwasher. It hides nicely in the sink and does the job. Very, very happy with this purchase. I used Amazon Locker and got it in ONE day. Amazon and Amazon Locker rock!
review image review image
11 comment|54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 8, 2007
It's all good except the little silverware caddy. It is only hanging on the drainer, it's not secure, the caddy has two sections, if I put one thing in one side, the caddy tips over. I fixed this with a long tie that usually come with packaging, looks ugly though.
on April 29, 2010
You would think "what could go wrong with a dish drainer?" But Rubbermaid has succeeded in producing an inferior product to...to their own previous version of the same model!

We had the exact same model from 10+ years ago (now beyond cleaning with rubber cracking) and it has thicker metal and a thicker coating. Now both are thinner, and the wire rack is flimsy, particularly noticable when hanging glasses off the tabs provided, and after attaching the silverware cup on and then off the rack only once it ripped off the plastic coating! My new product was immediately damaged.

The other caveat is that the earlier version had a well placed solid corner cup for silverware, and this one has a less secure side cup, which is positioned exactly where you may want to place leaning bowls. Now, as I am using my older sturdier corner cup on the new rack, there is a portion of the rack missing on that side, so dishes can slip right through.

It's a shame that they didn't have a problem, but Rubbermaid has fixed that! I would have been happy to shell out a few more dollars (this was about $7) to get a better product.