Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now Sale

on February 10, 2013
Dear AMC,
Please, bring this show back! People want a second season! I'm people! Everyone deserves a second chance.

33 comments118 of 125 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon August 1, 2012
Rubicon was/is absolutely brilliant TV. It's so frustrating that all of the best shows get canned too soon while all of the "reality" drivel gets extended and pushed incessantly. Rubicon is a deep, interesting, and engaging drama (it does start slow, but picks up dramatically, and is well worth the investment). I can't recommend it highly enough. Just be prepared that the end of the season is it. Hardly the fault of this excellent show...blame the idiotic AMC execs who couldn't/wouldn't commit to giving this show a chance.
0Comment75 of 80 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 3, 2011
Rubicon was the ONLY show I've ever watched that I didn't wait for it to record on DVR. Being on disability I watch quite a lot of television. And this is by far my favorite ... all time. It is that amazing. Every episode pulls you in and makes you think.
I found it a meld of British drama (with American accents) and All the President Men. I'm not a conspiracy theory buff but the characters really drew me in.
You have Will who is the lead - a widowed, tortured yet brilliant analysts for the US government.
The other three people on his team are perfectly balanced, the humorous Miles, Grant the kiss up and Tanya the new girl.
The layers to the show are complex and very well written. I also read quite a bit so I'm pretty critical of poor writing and this show has it nailed.
I guess you've figured out by now that I LOVE this show. :)
I highly suggest it to anyone who likes cerebral or political or mystery or conspiracy. Rubicon fits all those bills.
33 comments95 of 103 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 20, 2010
I stumbled across the link to this free Rubicon pilot episode from an Amazon ad. I tried to get a sense of what the show was about by checking the usual websites, but found nothing. Thought I'd watch the first 10 minutes or so, but got caught up and watched the entire episode.

First of all, the acting in the pilot is top notch. Could not find fault with any of the performances. The ensemble of characters is well varied. It is clear how the main characters fit into the story, but I assume that how the supporting characters will be used will be developed during the season.

The subject matter, a powerful, secret society devoted to progressing their agenda while maintaining their anonymity, is pretty heavy stuff. Appropriately, the fear and dread can be felt throughout the pilot. James Badge Dale plays Will Travers, the protagonist. He does a great job getting the audience to care about Travers, the tragedy in his life and frankly, his safety.

As for how the series will unfold, it appears that Travers will be a mouse in the lion's den trying to uncover a secret. Since "they" are aware of Travers, if he gets too close to the truth, it won't be a problem putting him to sleep with the fishes. The question is how can his investigation continue over a series? Will they find Travers can be of more use as a pawn than a corpse (spot the reference in the show)? Will he go on the run, turning Rubicon into one long chase show?

I have to think that the writers and producers of Rubicon, along with AMC have something substantial planned. Based on the strength of the pilot I will definitely go along for the ride.
22 comments70 of 76 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 13, 2012
As of October 13, 2012
This was by far the most intelligently crafted show on television for the short time it ran, and definitely not the average 'who done it' type of story. I avoid watching TV generally, but caught every episode of this one and only season. How strange that cancellation came down so quickly; how strange that one cannot opt to even purchase the DVD's: what happened? There were too many on-the-nose topics presented here, too many chances for the viewing audience to expand their thinking processes and turn away from those facsimilies which grossly burgeoned in its wake. I am still very angry about 'Rubicon' being pulled off the air--nothing else was nor is worth watching on AMC or any other channel; 'The Walking Dead', 'The Killing', anything 'CSI'-esque, 'Criminal Minds', et cetera: all pablum for the idiot trough that is pop-culture. Why is Amazon no longer allowed to offer this item for sale, why did it get removed so quickly--but left in the listing with a "$0.00" price tag? If you missed it, you would not understand the implication I am circling around here; this show did not end due to low ratings, it ended due to low corporate interest--which means that other eyes than mine own were watching things very closely (maybe someone received a four-leafed clover). The situation reminds me of something George Carlin addressed about the owners of America, education (which can extend into the field of entertainment), and mass stupidity. 'The point of no return' is always a highly catalytic event when encountered.

As of January 1, 2014
As a gift, I received a complete edition of the first and only season of this show--factory sealed and all! To say I was shocked would be an understatement bordering on absurdity. Apparently this present had been a long time coming, all the while I fumed over the cancellation and seemingly total disappearance of 'Rubicon' from not only television or Amazon, but also from the consciousness of most people who watch the tube regularly--most of whom had never heard of the show anyway! I had no idea this item existed, but I am very thankful to own a genuine copy. Unfortunately, I was not told of where to purchase another one, though. This was given to shut-up my complaining, and to sweeten my bitterness a bit. Concessions must be made; but still, middle-finger-you, whomever swung the axe with their decision.
55 comments45 of 51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 8, 2011
No other television show can match the writing, directing, editing and acting on this really unique espionage thriller - and I've been watching them since 1950! Dark, dramatic, unpredictable, and constantly engaging, the only criticism I can muster is you need to watch it from the beginning or you may never catch up with the characters, plot and sub-plots, which is a shame. I strongly recommend you buy the first season and watch it before the second season commences (I hope, I hope!!). I can't predict where the second season will go --- that's how good it is!
0Comment36 of 40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 13, 2014
This is a well written, well acted and well produced series. The plot is way more than believable and developed in so many directions at once that you gladly pay attention to what is going on and keep coming back for more. It is really sad that AMC chose not to continue the series. MAYBE, hint, hint, Amazon will pick it up and run with it. It would certainly make their US $20.00 raise to the Prime membership fee more palatable. This is a series that could MORE than compete with Netflix's "House of Cards".
on August 2, 2012
I was devastated when this show went off air. It was good for my brain. I'm so happy to see the old episodes available for my iPad.
0Comment14 of 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 23, 2014
Please add Rubicon back on your list. Not sure why it was removed in the first instance.
on December 14, 2015
Love this show! An excellent slow-burning thriller with amazing performances. Not sure what happened to it??? Why is it not anywhere to be found on DVD or streaming video? Dare I suggest a conspiracy :)