This is misleading, since these are actually two very different products.

Published on September 11, 2011 by C. ODonnell

1.0 out of 5 stars NOT as description states
Published on October 7, 2011 by rogerhobbs

4.0 out of 5 stars There are two robes being sold of very different quality, same photos used, September 11, 2011
This review is from: Deluxe Harry Potter Child's Costume Robe With Gryffindor Emblem (Toy)
This is misleading, since these are actually two very different products.

One robe is made with black fleece with red trim meant to suggest lining, and a real embroidered Gryffindor crest. The hood is fully lined with the red material. It is very good quality for the money. My niece put it on as soon as she unwrapped it in the afternoon, and did not take it off until bedtime. She wears it all the time and it is holding up great.

The second is just junk, very thin and flimsy material, crest is printed on, red trim is on the edges of the robe only, not in the hood.

Out of the box, the first robe needed some serious ironing and the red lining was not always stitched in well, but those are the only complaints. I would not bother at all with the second cheaper version. I looked at it in the store and would not pay $5.00 for it, let alone $20.

Make sure you are buying the one that says it has the "embroidered crest" - otherwise, you are getting seriously ripped off.

4.0 out of 5 stars sizes run small, August 21, 2008
This is a very nicely made robe of warm fleece (although my daughter said she wished she had the cheaper, thinner version like her friend!). The sizes are off, though, so although I assumed a medium would fit my 9-year-old daughter, it was too small. I returned it to get a large, even though that sounded way too big. It fits great.

1.0 out of 5 stars NOT as description states, October 7, 2011
BEWARE! This is not as the description states. There is no such thing as a "Prestige" version of this costume by Rubies...it is the same old "Deluxe" version you can find for much less money elsewhere. It is not velvet, nor is it fully lined. I thought I was buying my daughter something special and different - and was willing to pay the upcharge to do so - but this is nothing special. 7th Avenue, the store this is shipped from, is giving me a VERY hard time returning it, stating that Rubie's doesn't make a 'prestige' robe, so it's my fault for ordering. I can send the item back for a 20% restocking fee! I'm so angry. DON'T BUY FROM THIS STORE!!! I'm hoping they do the right thing, and will happily amend my review if so...but we'll see. It's been 2 days of calls and emails so far, and they are so far telling me, "you should have known better." Well, I do now - and so do you!

1.0 out of 5 stars Not as advertised, October 27, 2011
I do not blame the manufacturer Rubie's or Amazon for this problem but all responsibility lays squarely on the shoulders of the seller 7th Avenue Store. We ordered the Premium Gryffindor Robe for our son because we were concerned with the durability of the Deluxe (felt) and Standard (polyester) robes. The Premium is advertised as being velvet with satin lining and we wanted the heavier more durable product.

7th Avenue Store shipped us the Deluxe robe. You could even tell from the packaging that it was not the same item. When I registered a complaint with 7th Avenue Store they informed me that Premium is simply another name for Deluxe and that there was no such robe as I was describing and they had had this issue with the manufacturer before...notice how they blame someone else rather than correcting the problem. I then tell 7th Avenue Store that I want to return the merchandise and they send me an authorization saying that I may do that but they will not reimburse the original shipping fee, I need to pay to have it shipped back and they will also deduct a 20% restocking fee. Apparently they thought I was a moron!

I refused to do so and told them if they did not make this right I would file a claim with Amazon. I did receive a call from one CS rep who said she was not authorized to waive the restocking fee and the shipping fees and I would need to call back and talk with a supervisor. I called their toll free number three times the next business day and each time I pressed one to go to the CS desk it would ring three or four time and then I would get loud static. After the third time I sent another email reiterating my initial complaint and also letting them know that I could not get through...no response...nothing...no phone call, no email...nada. These guys are a joke. NEVER NEVER NEVER purchase from 7th Avenue Store. They should be run out of business.

PS: I did end up getting the PREMIUM robe (manufactured by Rubie's) through another vendor. They do exist, they are much better than the Deluxe and worth the few extra bucks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well made, February 7, 2013
= Durability:5.0 out of 5 stars
I added my own photo for others to review. This is a really good robe, made of lightweight fleece. We bought it for my son's Storybook Character Dress Up Day at school today. I got the large for my 8-year-old and it fits perfect.

I also bought the glasses from amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Elope-LS7224-Harrys-Glasses-Wire/dp/B000NL21T4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1360260495&sr=8-3&keywords=harry+potter+glasses

And the tie too: http://www.amazon.com/Harry-Potter-Tie-Costume-Accessory/dp/B000Z72FFG/ref=sr_1_3?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1360260523&sr=1-3&keywords=harry+potter+tie+gryffindor

It comes with a clip to hold the robe closed. I'm glad I bought it.

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY, October 9, 2011
I would rate this a zero if I could. I bought this right before the other reviewer and unfortunately did not have the opportunity to read her review. Please learn from my lesson. I thought I was ordering a velvet robe lined in satin - as the product states. I received a standard deluxe robe - which is some type of cheap felt robe. When I emailed them to say they shipped the wrong product and I need to exchange - they informed me there is no such thing as a prestige robe - and the deluxe robe is the prestige robe. They also want to charge me a 20% restocking fee.

This has to be a total scam. They advertised one thing - and are selling another - and they will not give you a full refund!!!

DO NOT BUY THIS!

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent Quality, September 15, 2011
I purchased this robe in a size small for my nephew's 4th birthday and it fits him perfectly (he's roughly 52" tall). The robe is made of a nice, thick fleece material and the school crest sewn on looks nice, not cheap.

There are three small downsides when considering this purchase:
*The clasp that comes with it to keep the robe closed is a separate piece altogether and my nephew's clasp falls off constantly at the slightest movement. My mother is going to sew on a new clasp that will actually stay attached to the cloak.
*The second downside is that after only an hour or so of wearing the robe, it began to have threads coming undone at the bottom.
*The third is that the material is very clingy and within a few minutes the robe had a lot of dog hair stuck to it.

Overall, though, this is a nice robe for make-believe playtime and it will wear nicely into the Fall and Winter due to the heavy material. My nephew absolutely loves it!

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent quality for the price, August 7, 2014
We saw similar robes at Universal Studios when we went to visit the Harry Potter attractions and my daughter begged for one, but when we saw the $100+ pricetag I kind of backed off and got her a wand instead. But I promised her when we got home that I would get her a Happy Potter robe and have been researching them ever since. I decided on this one since it's made from a fabric similar to Polartec (not that horrible nylon that graduation gowns are made of) and comes with the maroon color touches.

First off: sizing- my daughter is (almost) nine, a little petite for her age, and I went ahead and ordered the Large thinking she could grow into it. It's a bit big on her (mostly long) but she LOVES the way it billows out behind her when she walks.

The quality is fair, but excellent for a costume. It's a mid-weight polarfleece material. Some of the edges of the costume are a little rough and not hemmed, and the maroon color around the edges is just a simple, thin piece of fabric sewn in as opposed to a full lining, but this is a REALLY nice item for the price. Even the patch is heavy-dut and embroidered and sewn on thoroughly.

Overall, this was a big hit. I'm very happy with my purchase, but my daughter is even happier. Since the robe arrived, she hasn't really taken it off- whenever she's home, it's on. That's a pretty winning endorsement.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very well made, January 13, 2008
Todd S. Bennett "MCAT Preparation Guru" (Berkeley Review, CA United States) - See all my reviews
After reading all of the reviews for Harry Potter gear for the kids, I was expecting a shabby piece of cloth with spray paint on it. Perhaps expecting the worst made getting a nice, high-quality item that much better. And the bottom line is that the robe made my daughter amazingly happy. She wore it for days as she watched the movies a few more times than sanity should allow for. It looks the part and made her warm on the inside and outside. It does exactly what a kid's costume item should do.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not Deluxe, September 21, 2012
T. Hough (Carlisle, PA USA) - See all my reviews
We ordered and received the deluxe robe that is fleece-like. The patch was missing from the robe--there was an outline where it had been glued, but it was missing. Without the patch, the robe isn't much to begin with. So, be advised that the patch itself may be embroidered, but it is not actually sewn onto the robe itself. Material was awful--second-rate fleece, that probably makes a Snuggie look high-end--it's thin and is the kind of fleece that "sticks" to itself, almost like felt. Lastly, the hood is lined and there is some 3" strip of pink/maroon-ish material on either side of the opening, but the entire inside of the robe is not lined. We returned the robe, and will simply sew our own.