5.0 out of 5 stars Use this film to teach
Published on May 5, 2004 by Thomas Bonar

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but a bit long
This movie is well done, informative adn child appropriate. However, it is too long and did not hold the attention of several seven year olds. Too bad, since they read the book in school.
Published 18 months ago by kl

5.0 out of 5 stars Use this film to teach, May 5, 2004
Thomas Bonar (Cypress, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ruby Bridges [VHS] (VHS Tape)
Have your students read Ruby's book and then show this film. It illustrates not only the stuggle of integration in personal terms, but other topics related to history and government as well. The supremacy of federal over state laws, the political and social climate of the times. My students had trouble believing this story really happened the way it did, that is untill they pulled up the actual photos on the internet. I cannot recomend this one highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good buy for any teacher, February 22, 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Ruby Bridges [VHS] (VHS Tape)
I am a first grade teacher and have used this video for a unit on Ruby Bridges in first and second grade. The students have responded very well to it, and it has created for some unbelievable conversation that you'd never expect from this age level. I usually break the viewing up into a few different days, because it is a lengthy film, but it has been one of my favorite videos to show each year. This is a must have for any teacher because it illustrates what courage and strength can accomplish, even at a young age.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heartwrentching and Wonderful!, March 21, 2001
Katelyn (Bakersfield, California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ruby Bridges [VHS] (VHS Tape)
I am a 7th grader from California and my History teacher showed this video in class. I found it to be one of the best videos I have ever watched. It taught me so much and that day I went home and did more research about Ruby Bridges. A few weeks later I decided to do my History Field Day progect on her since the topic was 'New Fronties.' I also bought the movie with my own money and showed it to my brother, who was for some reason kind of prejudice, and since then he has never said one word about not liking a black person. This movie taught me so much and even my parents ask to watch it over and over again. It is heartwrenching every time I watch it and it showed my brother what hard times black people went through and that they do have feelings also. This movie is OUTSTANDING and I recommend it to anyone!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent video, September 27, 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Ruby Bridges [VHS] (VHS Tape)
We showed this video to two classes of fifth and sixth graders. It is _EXCELLENT_. A very well-done, attention-grabbing and thought-provoking story of this story arising from a sad time of American history.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Movie!, January 6, 2005
Kelli (Somewhere out west) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ruby Bridges [VHS] (VHS Tape)
This movie is an important movie for anyone to watch. It shows what it was like to be Ruby Bridges, the first black student to be desegregated. She had to endure tortures that an adult would not want to go through. It also shows the struggles the family had to go through as well. If you haven't seen it, I recommend you watch it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ruby Bridges, June 15, 2003
This review is from: Ruby Bridges [VHS] (VHS Tape)
I think Ruby Bridges is a great movie. It inspired me alot. It tells you a lot of things. Its a great movie for kids and adults. It tells you to do good to people that dislike you or do bad things to you. For example, the time Ruby prayed for the people who said terrible things about her. It also teaches about love and standing up for your rights. This movie made me cry. It sad how color can cause so much trouble. When you think about it you would realize White and blacks have a whole lot in common. I'd like to meet Ruby and let her know how brave and inspiring she could be.

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing child's bravery!!!!, March 21, 2006
This review is from: Disney's Ruby Bridges (DVD)
This movie is such an important part of our multi-cultural history that must be shared! This brave little girl has a greater faith and more forgiving spirit than can be imagined. She is an example of how God's loves works. This is a movie that I will watch at least 2 or 3 times a year to remind me that no matter the circumstances are, faith and love can overcome anything!

5.0 out of 5 stars INCREDIBLE MOVIE, June 16, 2003
This review is from: Ruby Bridges [VHS] (VHS Tape)
Ruby Bridges is the first movie I've ever wanted to see over and over again. The first time I watched it was in 5th grade. When I saw it, I was really inspired. It shows us all Black women, men, girls and boys can make a difference in this world and do not be afraid of it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ruby Bridges, September 5, 2003
Terri "3kids-at-home" (Crescent City, California United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Ruby Bridges [VHS] (VHS Tape)
This is such a sweet story about an innocent colored girl entering an all white school back in the early intergration years. Ruby Bridges will inspire you to change your opinion on racism, and make you a better person. This little girl changed the world for people of color, only she didn't know it then. She entered the world of nasty white prejudice people, and stood her ground, thanks to the love of her parents, and her faith in God. She prayed daily as she walked up the stairs into her school, for God to forgive those closed minded people who mocked her on a daily basis. She overcame her fears, and stood strong. She wanted to make friends at her school, but the white parents wouldn't allow their children to mingle with her, she prayed for them too. In the end, she opened doors for all colored children, and has become an inspiration to hundreds of people. It's a great story too, about about a doctor who thought Ruby would lose it mentally, with all the pressures from taunting words she heard daily, but come to find out, he too, was prejudice, only he didn't realize it at first. He too, overcame his hate for blacks. I recommend this movie to all, young and old alike. I had my daughter take this to her Christian school to share with her second grade class on a rainy day, and they all loved it. It's perfect for Black History week at school. If you have a movie of this, share it with your children's class too, they'll learn from it. It's a movie they'll never forget.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ruby, February 10, 2005
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Disney's Ruby Bridges (DVD)
Ruby bridges was a bright girl. She was a negroe who went to a white school and was said many horrible things to. I got this Dvd myself and enjoyed it like anything. Everyone should watch it.

Ruby Bridges