on January 11, 2012
I just purchased the Kindle version with great anticipation that the companion CD (advertised on the cover and in the Table of Contents) would also download as MP3s on my Kindle Fire. That did not happen. The recipes look very interesting and fun -- slick on the Kindle Fire -- but it seems that the only way I will be able to hear the music at this point is to also buy the hard-copy. That's not likely to happen.

Update: Good news! There is a link and password on the next to last page which will allow you to download the music. Do this on your computer, not the kindle because it downloads as a .zip file.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 9, 2012
Although I don't have much to say about the recipes in this book yet, I do want to let you know that the paper is slick and the type is light. It's 158 pages with some nice photos, and the recipes look like a cross between Paula Deen's and Martha Stewart's to me. Ruby doesn't seem to use as much butter as Paula does, though.

Whoever designed the layout did a great job. With a table of contents, an index, and notations at the tops of the pages, it's easy to find the recipes you're looking for, and there's a nice variety of them. Now, if they'd just laid the ink on a little thicker, I'd be hard-pressed to find anything bad to say about this book.

The CD is an unusual addition. I'm looking forward to listening to it. Hubby is sleeping, or I'd have already done it. Didn't feel like dragging out my headphone contraption tonight.

Oh, yeah, I love the title of the book. That's what really grabbed my attention, plus the fact that the author, Ruby Dee, and I both live in Austin, TX. I'm adding some local color to my cookbook shelves.

Now, Ruby, where do I find those Yellow Finn and White Rose potatoes?
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 19, 2014
We have liked everything we've made so far! Love the layout and pictures, too. My husband made one of the stew recipes and it was perfect comfort food.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...