Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on December 21, 2004
Crediting this collection merely to Burl Ives has probably caused many to bypass it and assume it does not contain the original recordings from the Rankin-Bass tv special performed by all of the artists (not just Ives), when actually it does. These nine tracks are found at the beginning of the cd (the remaining ten are instrumental versions of the songs).

This is the only cd where you can get all of the Rudolph special's recordings. The holiday collection Rudolph, Frosty, and Friends comes close as it contains all but the instrumental overture and finale). You can also get five of the tracks from the Rudolph soundtrack spread out over Nick At Nite's A Classic Cartoon Christmas and A Classic Cartoon Christmas Too.

Whichever collection you purchase (I own them all), I guarantee they will make you feel like a kid again, no matter what your age is.
on December 10, 1998
I am very happy to see the soundtrack of this much beloved Christmas TV Special released on CD. It is definitely a must-have. Besides the favorites like "Silver and Gold," "Have a Holly Jolly Christmas," and "We're a Couple of Misfits," you also get the instrumental versions heard throughout the special.
I recommend it highly.
I have to admit I was surprised when I found out that "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer," the beloved 1964 Rankin/Bass animagic television show, is the longest running holiday special. I do not know why I thought it came after "A Charlie Brown Christmas," but it indeed was produced a year earlier. The story is based on the song that Gene Autry, the Singing Cowboy, made the second most popular Christmas song of the first half of the 20th-century, and the song is sung this time around by the story's narrator, Burl Ives, as Sam the Snowman. Consequently, the grandfatherly Ives, who began his career as a folksinger before turning into a more than credible actor ("Cat on a Hot Tin Roof"), is probably the voice that most people today associate with the song. The explanation for that state of affairs is why this is the soundtrack for the longest running holiday special.
Because of Ives' popularity his name appears above the title on this soundtrack, but he only sings a few of the songs: "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer," "A Holly Jolly Christmas," and "Silver and Gold." The other memorable songs are "Jingle Jingle Jingle," sung by Stan Francis as Santa; "We're a Couple of Misfits," sung by Rudolph (Billie Mae Richards) and Hermie (Paul Soles); and "There's Always Tomorrow," sung by Clarice (Janet Orenstein). The songs were written by Johnny Marks, who wrote both the original "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" and "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree." When you check the playlist you will notice that there are 19 tracks, and the explanation for this largesse is that the "B" side of the original album consisted of instrumental versions of the songs played by the Decca Concert Orchestra. You have to give credit for filling up the album beyond the 15-minutes of singing from the special. However, for those who treasure this program, being able to sing along without having to wear out the videotape or DVD is a singular pleasure.
on December 30, 2007
This is the soundtrack to the classic puppetmation TV special. Although the album is credited to Burl Ives, he actually only sings on four of the tracks here. All of the songs were written by Johnny Marks. This is classic music from a classic TV special that you all know and love. But when the soundtrack album was produced, they ran into a slight problem. The total running time of all the songs was only about 15 minutes. So, to fill up the second side of the album, instrumental versions of all the songs from the special (plus some other Christmas songs written by Johnny Marks) were recorded. These instrumentals aren't bad, but most people probably won't want to listen to them too often. But the CD is worth getting just for it's first half. It should be noted that Rudolph and Hermey's duet "Fame and Fortune" is not on the album, because it was added to the special the second year it was broadcast, and hadn't been recorded when the album was released.
on November 22, 2002
How could anyone resist the wonderful, fun tunes from the Rankin and Bass classic "Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer" with the warm Burl Ives, or the fun tunes from the elves? Who ever watched that cartoon without walking away singing at least one tune for the next few days? Now you can get your fix of "We're a Couple of Misfits" without watching the whole movie. If you can play this disc, and not find yourself singing the tunes for days, you may not have a soul, and maybe you need an infussion of youth! This is probably my most fun Christmas disc.
on December 5, 2002
For people around my age, 33 years old, this cd will bring back fond childhood Christmas memories. As a child I would look forward to the once a year showing of RUDOLPH THE RED NOSED REINDEER but I didn't realize how much the songs had affected me.
One day I came across this cd and found it to be reasonably priced and figured I'd give it a listen. I was surprised at how after all these years I remembered just about all the words to each song. As I listened to the songs I could actually recall the emotions I used to experience as a kid. Songs such as "We're A Couple Of Misfits" brought back that sad feeling I used to get when I realized how cruel the reindeer and elves were to Hermey and Rudolph just because of their non conformities. While other songs such as "Jingle Jingle Jingle" provided that upbeat and positive feel that I used to get at the begining of the special and as Rudolph first lighted up his nose. I think my favorite song is "There's Always Tomorrow" a very sad yet hopeful song.
This album is not my favorite Christmas album, at least not when compared song to song with other albums, but it is a very good one. Adults who grew up in the 60's, 70's and even the 80's will find it not only a good listen but a good way to recall those childhood Christmas feelings from their youth.
on December 2, 2003
As a 37 year old, I can remember every Christmas season and how it was not complete without watching "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer". I love this CD and hoped that one day it would be released. I will always have a warm spot in my heart for these songs, Rudolph, Sam The Snowman and those pitiful misfit toys (who wouldn't love them?). I play this CD year round, because it warms the heart and reminds me of a different time that was simple and innocent. My favorites are "There's Always Tomorrow", "Silver And Gold", "The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year" and last but not least, "Holly Jolly Christmas". God bless Burl Ives and his soothing voice. Rudolph rules!!!!!!
on December 7, 2005
Originally released as a Decca record album (with Burl Ives' "Holly Jolly Christmas" released as a single--and apparently a slightly longer version that the one heard here), this Rankin/Bass TV special holds a warm, intimate place in many hearts, young and older alike. I particularly love Clarice's song, "There's Always Tomorrow" and the anonymous female voice who croons it so sweetly sad. The songs, all written by Johnny Marks (the unsung hero of the special) are wonderful ear-candy for the holidays. The CD adds lushly orchestrated versions of these classics, perfect for a night by the fire or wrapping presents. "Believing is not far away..."
on October 16, 2004
This is one of Burl Ives greatest holiday albums.It's actually the soundtrack to Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer but will sound great during the holidays.This cd also has Instrumental Lush versions of these songs which is why I bought it.The Decca Concert Orchestra does these superveley.One of these songs Holly Jolly Christmas(instrumental version with the Decca Concert Orchestra)got played on beautiful music stations in the 70's and 80s.The vocal version of Holly Jolly Christmas by Ives on this cd is similar but not the same as the one on his other Christmas album it sounds a little different on this album.Most stations play his other version.Both versions of it's the most wonderful day and silver and gold are my favorites on this cd.I highley recommend this cd to Burl Ives fans as well as people that listen to beatiful music from the Decca Concert Orchestra.Other artist Christmas albums I recommend include Percy Faith,Roger Williams,Mantovani,The 101 Strings,Johnny Mathis,Tony Bennett,Kenny G,The Carpentars,Radio City Music Hall,Manhatten Transfer,Air Supply,Frank Sinatra and James Last just to name a few.
on November 1, 2014
This is my childhood...I'm now 41 years old...when i hear this whole record. .I'm back to being a child and very happy with my family...my dad is no longer here....but when i hear burl ives..my dad is with me....this song is magic...and when i hear it...i think to myself!!! Christmas is about family....and being with the people you love.....it's not about money or gifts....burl ives is a gift to Christmas and all of us....