5.0 out of 5 stars Just as good as the movie.
I still remember back in the 1993 when the movie Rudy was released. I didn't know much about it at the time and little did I know that it would become one of my favorite movies of all time.
In is autobiography Daniel "Rudy" Ruettiger tells the story of his dream to play for Notre Dame. I like this quote that he puts at the beginning of the book. It says:...
Published on August 21, 2012 by N. Payne

3.0 out of 5 stars A decent autobiography.
Rudy: My Story is fairly interesting up though his college years. After that it does seem a tad repetitive. It is a fairly decent autobiography of someone a film was made about. Rudy coorects some missing or changed points from the motion picture's storyline and fans of the film and of Rudy should find this a pretty engrossing read.
Published 23 months ago by E. Borgman

5.0 out of 5 stars Just as good as the movie., August 21, 2012
This review is from: Rudy: My Story (Hardcover)

"In life, it's not about how hard you get hit. It's about how many times you get back up and how hard you're willing to keep fighting for your dreams."

Rudy talks about-and I am glad he did- about how he wanted to quit the team. He had busted his butt for what? Nothing!! But he wanted to quit he gave into every one telling him that he can't. But Rudy meets up with another Rudy. Rudy the janitor. They had become good friends and so much so that Daniel doesn't notice that some about Rudy the janitor. It just as great of story as it was in the movie. Little different but the meaning is the same.

I love this book. I love the story of Rudy. I get chills every time I see the movie and now I know as Paul Harvey would say "The rest of the story."

I was given a free advance copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. I was not obligated to give a positive review. This review was mine and mine only.

5.0 out of 5 stars May be even better than the movie - Rudy!, August 24, 2012
This review is from: Rudy: My Story (Hardcover)
Like most people, I was introduced to Daniel "Rudy" Ruettiger through the movie "Rudy" with Sean Astin. So when I first encountered this book, I thought what can it tell me that the movie did not. I then remembered reading about Rudy and his financial troubles and this book does still have a story to tell that was left off from the movie, which is very much feel good and inspiring for young people. Where the movie is good for kids to teach them never to give up and has a nice happy end, the book is more the adult version of Rudy.
Of course the book goes into his childhood and his dream of making to into Notre Dame, not just as a student, but also a football player. But then the book goes on to talk about his troubles following the climactic game with Rudy being carried off the field as a hero. Because those perfect moments are just that "moments - they do not last and reality is not glamorous and you will not walk on water.
This book in four parts describes each loss and follow up success in the life of Rudy, so the reader gets involved not in the life of Rudy the football player with a nice ending, but in the life Rudy the Average Joe that has success, but also gets dealt some fairly significant blows. The important lesson for the reader is to get up and keep on trying. Will Rudy's life from now on be successful, in its own way - certainly, even though there still will be the blows just like for everyone and this book teaches up to just keep going and trying harder. And maybe also to accept success to come in different forms, smaller forms and to find satisfaction in the little wins that happen along the way.

I received a free copy of the book through booksneeze.com in exchange for an honest review. The opinion expressed in this review are my own and have not been influenced by either booksneeze or the author.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really enjoyed this book, February 21, 2013
scot16897 "scot16897" (Austin, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
If you have not seen the movie "Rudy" you will get lots of inspiration and motivation from this book. If you've seen and enjoyed the movie, you will really enjoy the deeper context and the story behind the movie.

Born to a working class family with an expectation that no member of his family would strive higher, Rudy always wanted more, even when he didn't seem to have most of the necessary tools to achieve his dreams. He went on not only to become the first member of his family to go to college, but to inspire all his brothers and sisters (13 of them) to get college degrees. As if that weren't enough, undersized and under-talented Rudy became a member of the Notre Dame football team, a group he had grown up considering to be gods on earth.

But the book examines the importance of his service in the Navy, and how that shaped his life for college and the future. The book discusses the need not just to work hard to achieve your dreams, but to have more dreams, just to keep you going further.

This was a wonderful book, and should be read by anyone who feels like they face insurmountable odds.

Keep dreaming, Rudy!

4.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring Story ..., April 5, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
"Rudy - My Story" is the autobiography of Daniel "Rudy" Ruettiger the man behind the inspirational 1993 movie. Co-writing with Mark Dagostino, Daniel "Rudy" Ruettinger recounts his own life and that of his family in Joliet, Illinois.

Fulfilling his dream of playing football at Notre Dame, Ruettiger achieved that goal through sheer determination rather than through natural athletic ability. From that perspective, "Rudy - My Story" is a success. It provides an inspirational look at a very motivated, goal-oriented young man.

Individuals who are looking for a true success story would do well to consider "Rudy - My Story". Individuals who need encouraged when the odds seem insurmountable should consider "Rudy - My Story". This, indeed, is a book that will inspire many.

3.0 out of 5 stars A decent autobiography., February 23, 2013

2.0 out of 5 stars Football "hero"?, April 8, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Rudy Ruettiger grew up at the oldest boy among 14 children. He tells his story in this book. The style is a bit chatty, and the "too much information" alert should have flashed for his publisher in a few places. I'm not sure that it is necessarily inspiring to keep trying where you are not actually going to succeed spectacularly, but some must find this inspirational. Not a bad read, but it didn't hold my interest for more than a few minutes at a time.

3.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring in Many Ways, February 20, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
It's been many years since I watched the movie Rudy, and I'm glad, because I didn't want the book to feel like repetition of what I already knew. I enjoyed getting to know about Daniel's background-- the military, his large family, the way they ALL get called "Rudy," etc.

The overall theme of the movie and the book are the same: Persistence pays off. Don't give up.

That's a good theme... except for one problem. We all know some people who are TOO "persistent." People who refuse to listen to what you want and care only about what they want. People who think they're above the rules and deserve more than others. What occurred to me throughout the book is that in many ways, that was Daniel... he was not just persistent, but manipulative and demanding. He was manipulative in that he knew full well that making in-person contact and giving his wide-eyed spiel about being an underdog gave him an advantage over others. That bothered me, because I wondered about all the other kids who don't get chances because they DIDN'T choose to barge in on someone inappropriately. It bothered me that not only did he not listen when he was told that he'd have to prove himself for 2 years at Holy Cross before applying to Notre Dame, but he felt absolutely ENTITLED and incensed about not getting in after six months, and then a year. His sense of entitlement was so strong that he went banging on a priest's door at 11 p.m. and then ordered the decision-maker to come out and talk to him right now to explain himself-- even though it was Daniel who was ignoring what he had been told to do from the start. That's selfish to the extreme, in my opinion, and was tempered only by the fact that Daniel obviously has a lot of charm. Under other circumstances, I could imagine him getting thrown off campus for a stunt like that.

Same with when he's told he's not going to get to dress for a game in his senior year because the numbers have been cut too low. He throws a hissy fit and his friends campaign to let him dress for the last game. Nice for him, but what about the other players who never got the chance to dress for a game and DIDN'T throw hissy fits? I feel bad for them... it seems like his "I'm gonna quit!" threat was rewarded, and I can't help but wonder if there were other players on the team who felt just as strongly but didn't react that way.

That side of his personality continues on after college, when he keeps trying to get Notre Dame to fund a movie about him, even when they repeatedly tell him that they don't want that kind of publicity. So in my mind, it's a mixed message... he did many things that are to be commended, particularly his hard work both in his first two years of college and in football, and his willingness to sleep in a closet to fulfill his dream. He was obviously very dedicated and not afraid to work hard. But the other part of his personality just didn't sit right with me, and tempered my enjoyment of the book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fondness for Rudy, Carried the Story, February 11, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
If I hadn't seen Rudy (+ BD Live) [Blu-ray] dozens of time, or grown up near South Bend, I probably wouldn't have enjoyed this autobiography too much. Not really a memoir of the type I'm used to, this title seems to aim for self-help, as much as self-history.

I enjoyed the stories about Ruetinger's childhood and his time at Notre Dame, but didn't fine his post-college experience all that compelling. There were some very good bits about the making of the movie that made his story a sports legend and the good and bad in the process of making the film, are some of the story's most interesting bits.

That said, the writing is just OK, and seems a bit stilted. The shift in the second half towards inspirational from explanation, was a bit jarring and, frankly, not terribly well done, interesting or helpful. There wasn't very much self-exploration or revelation, behind the I was born here, did this here, variety.

I was stuck between 3-4 stars on this one. I went with four because Ruetinger's story remains inspirational and enlightening, even without Sean Astin and the soaring musical score. But other than a few tidbits, you don't learn too much that is new and interesting that goes beyond the film's scope. Mainly because what Ruetinger has done since the movie is, it appears, talk about the movie. Perhaps leaving little to detail.

I'd say this one is OK for existing fans of the movie, the man or Notre Dame, but beyond that scope probably won't impress.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun to see the real story behind the movie, and the player, November 5, 2012
This review is from: Rudy: My Story (Hardcover)
When I saw this book available for review from Booksneeze.com, I knew I had to get it for my husband. He liked it, I think. He's already making a list of people he wants to loan it to. I'll let him tell you what he thought about it!

~I was given a free review copy of this book from Booksneeze.com~

Description:

"The inspirational real-life story of the man behind the beloved movie Rudy, his continued determination to make his dreams come true, and how you can dream big too.

How does a lower middle class kid, who suffered through school with undiagnosed dyslexia, get into Notre Dame and become the inspiration for millions in a Hollywood film that has become one of the most inspiring sport movies ever made? He never gave up."

And so, his opinion:

It was interesting to read about the real story of his life and see how it fit in with the way they made the movie. I remember growing up and watching and being inspired to work hard and go for my dreams by watching his movie.

The down side of the book was the way that it seemed making the movie was the biggest thing he has done in his life. I always pictured him as someone who would have been able to be very successful and do great things. The book seemed like he really struggled through with silly odd jobs as he worked on the dream of having a movie made about his success. I hoped to know of greater things for him. Oh well, it's never like the movies right?

I would recommend this book to people who love the movie (like have watched it more than 10 times). For a sports junkie like me it holds tidbits that are interesting to know the real story. Side note: I work with a guy who played lineman for Notre Dame. In passing he didn't seem to fond of Rudy. I still need to find out more from him.

3.0 out of 5 stars Rudy's Story, November 2, 2012
This review is from: Rudy: My Story (Hardcover)
Rudy became the inspiration for millions when a Hollywood film depicting his journey as a Notre Dame football player became one of the most influential sports movies ever made. In Daniel "Rudy" Ruettiger's only autobiography we see the entire story through Rudy's own eyes, and learn about his childhood, his family, and the events surrounding the making of this famous movie. I was very intrigued from the beginning of the book till about the middle of the book. Rudy's childhood and how he was raised was interesting and definitely gave a background to his dream of going to Notre Dame and playing football for them. But I have to say that at about the middle of the book or maybe after he achieved his dream of playing football for Notre Dame, I was reading alot of "I did this" and "I did that" and how he wouldn't take "no" for an answer. I was starting to get the impression that he was going to get this movie made if it was the last thing he ever did. The fact that he told everyone about his dream and about his life kind of turned me off. And forgive me if Rudy didn't mean to give that impression but that is kind of what I gathered. It almost turned into an egotistical book instead of the movie that was made. All of that aside, I do not want to take away from the movie or the good that Rudy has done for others. I am definitely glad that viewers are inspired by the movie. I received this book free from Thomas Nelson Publishers for an advance reading as part of their Booksneeze bloggers program . I was not required to write a positive review and therefore, the book review is 100% my own opinion.

Rudy: My Story
Rudy: My Story by Rudy Ruettiger (Hardcover - September 4, 2012)
$24.99 $19.50