Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it blink-182 Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

100%

on September 22, 2009
My third grade teacher read this book to the class aloud, a chapter a day. I loved it! It was happy, sad, scary, and funny. I've been looking for it ever since to purchase a copy. There is no way I'll pay what the private sellers are asking, but if the publisher ever decides to reprint it, I'll be the first in line for a copy. It's a wonderful story.
55 comments|17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 1, 2011
I read this in elementary school and really loved it. An all-time favorite of mine. I was lucky enough to buy a few relatively inexpensive copies of it several years ago through the web. Beautifully illustrated, bittersweet tale of a hawk who comes of age".
on December 9, 2010
I discovered this book by accident at my local library when I was around 8 years old. It has everything you want in a great story -- funny, sad, thrilling with a great hero and lots of life lessons. It was one of the few books I read several times. I want so much to share it with my son who is fascinated by birds of prey and appreciates a sweet story. I'm so disappointed that I can't find an affordable copy anywhere. The story was timeless, so I don't understand why it's vanished.
on June 30, 2012
I read this book many many times when in first and second grade!
Fabulous book to learn to read with. It also started a life long love of both birds and flying gliders and hang gliders.
Additionally, I have raised over 40 canaries (all named Chloe), all from this book!
If anyone finds one please contact me
rreynolds1@mac.com
on August 28, 2014
My fourth grade teacher read this book to our class in the '50s. I went to Adams Elementary in Seattle. I looked for a copy of this book for years and finally found it a few years ago at a library sale for 25 cents. I did not realize the book had become this valuable though I don't think I would ever sell it. The story of a young red tailed hawk growing up was told in a way that kept my class spellbound. I wish it would be reprinted so another generation could enjoy this timeless story.
on January 12, 2014
I first read this book in second grade, back in 1951. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Now that i have an 8yo grandson, I thought it would be great to introduce him to the same book. Searching online revealed that, as all these other reviews find, the book is out of print, not widely available, and terribly expensive to buy, even used. Located a copy from my local Mesa AZ library through inter-library loan, and turns out the only two copies they could find are at the Ohio State University library. I now have a loaner copy, it cannot be renewed, and will have to return it in another week. I don't really want to hand a book valued at $500 or more to an 8yo and hope it will be treated OK. So, looking for opportunity to read it with him. Would like to find a legally made copy, but that's probably out of the question. Great text, story, and the artwork, though black on white 'pen and ink' are superb additions to the story.
on January 11, 2011
I got a copy of this hardcover book from a lady years ago. She told me to keep it after I was looking at it in a small book shelf. I'll never sell it, my favorite book after 14 or so years. It's priceless in my opinion. Great book! 101 stars!
on December 23, 2010
I discovered this book in my school library while in the 4th grade. It is an exceptionally enchanting story of a Red-tailed Hawk, and chronicles its adventurous life from breaking out of its shell into adulthood. The book is extremely well-written, and it had a profound effect on my life by introducing me to the wonderful world of books. I loved it so much that I checked it out continuously in order to read it repeatedly. When I finally did return it, I was required to pay so much in late fees (from my paper route) that I could have easily purchased it instead.

This very special children's book is so deserving of being re-published! How sad to discover that it is not currently available.