Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals BestoftheYear Shop Now HTL

on December 11, 2012
Rugged ridge did a great job putting together a solid kit for jacking up your JK in your own garage if you are so inclined. You could also take this to a shop and have them do it for you. There are only minimal things in this kit that would hang up the most handy of handy men out there. If you have any questions, consult Rugged Ridge's website. Their installation guide in .pdf answered my questions about the kit before I got started. They do recommend some reinforcement welds for the rear track bar mount, however, I opted to do without. After a rough day on the trail with 33" tires, it was fine. Bigger tires might cause a problem.

With this kit you do not need new axles. You do need an alignment afterward. Other than that, it took me about 5 hours and a few good grunts to complete.

11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 2, 2013
* does what it's meant to do, lift the jeep
* contains shocks
* installed by myself in a weekend
* wheeled it several times with no issues
* it was missing some components (mostly bolts or nuts available at the local hardware store, but also missing a crush sleeve for the rear trackbar. Contacted the seller, they said they contacted the factory and it was in the mail several weeks ago. At this point I'm not expecting it to show up.)
* the instructions are for a 4 door. Guidance wasn't there for a 2 door install. This mattered a bit when installing the rear trackbar relocation bracket. Instructions tell you to mount trackbar in the bottom location; that just doesn't work for 2 door install. A lot of time was wasted figuring that out.
* bracket that bolts to the diff is goofy and difficult to install. Especially if you try to use the bottom mounting hole mentioned above.
* rear spring retention kit nearly impossible to install! I got it after a brilliant idea. Thread 2-3 10'+ lengths fishing line through all the bolts, washers and spring mount then tie the ends to the tip of the bolt. Spread them around the radius of the bolt so when you pull it is threaded through all. Still a pain, but not impossible.
* the ride is stiff, maybe the weight of armor and a wench will help, dunno. 4 door install may have different results.
on March 29, 2014
Ok, so I broke down and purchased this lift for my 2008 2 door JK thinking a 2.5" to 3.5" lift would be good enough for me and the type of trails I like to run. I installed it in my driveway with the help of a friend in a day. The installation is pretty basic but you'll have to watch how other kits are installed on youtube to know that you'll need to move the rear end links to the front and install the end links that come with the kit in the rear. Don't be afraid of the holes you'll have to drill, they're pretty easy and won't affect any future plans for a more beefy lift when you have the money. I purchased the Rugged Ridge steering dampener and installed it at the same time as the lift.

Here's my problem. I have Rugged Ridge's modular bumper up front with an XRC-8 winch and a Rugged Ridge tubular bumper in the back. I got a 4" lift all around with this kit. The problem is that now I have to purchase a new drop pitman to accommodate the angle needed for the lift. Additionally, one of the shocks has already begun to leak. I foresee purchasing better shocks in the very near future.

I went into this purchase thinking that, since my JK had 50K miles on it, it would be an ideal time to replace the shocks anyway. This kit would be an opportunity to do that and get a little lift at the same time. It's only been two weeks and a shock is leaking. I really enjoy the added height but I don't enjoy the extra purchases that I have to make in order to fully enjoy it.

Recommendation, don't purchase this kit. There are a lot of options at this price range and you'll be able to avoid the hidden costs associated. Basically you're paying $600 for springs and a couple of blocks. You'll need to purchase a drop pitman arm and new shocks.

Follow-up: Omix is sending out a replacement shock for the defective one that I received. I haven't noticed much change in the handling while driving, which is nice.
on June 10, 2014
The lift itself is good. Took about a day to complete the install.
Great price
Easy to install

Rear track bar mount makes diff leak
Missing a page of instructions
Missing nuts and bolts to install rear bump stops, can be replaced at local hardware store
Rugged ridge was slow to respond and fix the missing parts
on July 17, 2014
This kit was missing all 4 bump stops. This is not the first item that I've purchased from Rugged Ridge that was missing something. This company apparently doesn't care about setting and maintaining standards of quality. How hard is it to make sure all products are packaged complete with all listed components?