4.0 out of 5 stars enjoyable Victorian romance
Published on April 30, 2010 by Harriet Klausner

1.0 out of 5 stars Bitter Disappointment
I was bitterly disappointed with this book. I was expecting much more from Kat Martin, one of my favorite authors.

Published on May 5, 2010 by P. Madan

1.0 out of 5 stars Bitter Disappointment, May 5, 2010
This review is from: Rule's Bride (Bride Trilogy) (Mass Market Paperback)

The book starts off with a marriage of guilt between Violet and Rule. Her father is dying and wanted to make sure his daughter is taken care of so he offered Rule an incentive to get him to marry her. It was a good begining. Then the book moves away from greatness towards "why am I reading this crap"ness.

After 3 years of Rule ignoring Violet, he didn't even bother going to her when her father died, Violet ventures off to England to obtain an annulment. Apprently, she is in love with another man and wants to marry him. There, Rule instantly falls in lust with his wife and decides that he's going to keep her - without loving her ofcourse. He fully expects to cheat on her in the future. The only reason he's even interested in his wife is because he feels bored by the women in London.

Coming back to Violet, Rule guilts her into, by using her father, staying with him for 30 days. Now Violet, who I expected to be brighter, falls for that and agrees. She then turns from a woman who knows her mind into a TSTL heroine who can't think beyond Rule's gorgeousness and goes with everything he says, because well, he's so handsome. At this point, I put the book down, I was that disgusted!

Violent pretty much turned into an idiot within a few moments of meeting Rule. Here is this supposedly strong and independent woman who ran a company by herself for 3 years and yet when her husband says jump she says how high.

Moving forward, she ends up sleeping with him and falling in love with him. He does not reciporcate her feelings. He is then accused of murder and she pretty much does everything she can to catch the real killer and have her husband come home. After she does, he literally tells her he doesn't love her and she still doesn't leave.

OMG! Violet pissed me off. I wish her character would have been stronger and much more independent. I wish she had a brain.

I do not recommend buying this book, its not worth it. Your better off not reading it but if you have to, get it from the library.

2.0 out of 5 stars Unlikeable Characters, February 3, 2011
FWM (OR United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rule's Bride (Bride Trilogy) (Mass Market Paperback)
Let me preface by saying I've haven't read the first two books of this series or anything else by Kat Martin. Perhaps if I had, I would have liked this book more, though I doubt it.

First and foremost, I did not like Rule. He started off as a self-centered jerk wad just out to get laid. As the story progressed, he turned into a moronic jerk wad just out to get laid that needed to grow up more than just a little. Every time he possibly redeemed himself, he then went and proved himself to be, yet again, self-centered, moronic, or both.

By comparison, Violet seems like a very likable and sensible character. But she up and decides she's in love with Rule because he looks good and has moment of quasi-heroism. My estimation of her continued to decline each time her common sense was warped by hormones.

So, basically, these two deserve each other given how idiotic they both are. Their relationship, which seems to consist of sex and jealousy, hits an impasse, then they go whining about to someone else, said confidant tells them what to do, they go back to their shallow relationship, rinse and repeat. This is really a cautionary tale about two strangers jumping into a relationship together -- very vapid and aggravating. Plus the whole resolution to Rule's supposedly inability to love, and all because he didn't have a mommy . . . give me break. I don't want to toss out a spoiler, in case someone actually wants to read the book, or else I'd really rant about the ending.

Most everything else about the book wasn't enough to get me past the above gripes. Lots of -- too many -- minor characters that I didn't care about, which turned into so much clutter. A suspenseful plot that I couldn't pay attention to, annoyed as I was by the characters. In short, nothing much to recommend this.

But! I did enjoy Caroline and Luke's side story quite a bit. Oh, how I wish the author had chucked Rule and Violet entirely and just written a book about Caroline and Luke. There was a true romance, there were well-rounded characters. I eventually gave up on Rule and mostly read their story. What a waste of potential.

4.0 out of 5 stars enjoyable Victorian romance, April 30, 2010
This review is from: Rule's Bride (Bride Trilogy) (Mass Market Paperback)
In 1857 Boston, visiting Londoner Lord Rule Dewar agreed to marry the teenage daughter of Howard Griffin, owner of Griffin Manufacturing. The deal was pure economics as sixteen year old Violet gets a title and the man she has a schoolgirl crush on and Rule gets a gun manufacturing firm. He returned home to a life of much greater affluent debauchery while she remained in New England.

Three years later Violet arrives unannounced in London to demand Rule agree to an annulment. Attracted to his feisty beautiful American wife, he wants to consummate their marriage, which he failed to do when they exchanged I do. She insists she has someone else in mind for her marriage bed. Falling in love, Rule persuades her to give him one month to prove they belong together as a happy married couple; if she still wants the annulment he will grant it without an argument. As he courts his wife, who has loved him since he came to her home in Boston, someone wants the pair kept apart and a murder is an acceptable means to achieve that end.

The final R. Dewar's Bride historical romance (see Royal's Bride and Reese's Bride) is an enjoyable Victorian romance starring a married couple beginning their courtship three years after they wed. Although the marriage of economic convenience is an ancient standby of the historical sub-genre, Kat Martin refreshes it with her lead couple as she wants a first chance while his wife prefers a different chance with someone else. Readers will enjoy the intelligent tale as Rule has a climb higher than Big Ben to get out of the hole he is in when it comes to winning his wife's respect though he has her love.

Harriet Klausner

4.0 out of 5 stars The premise of the story was very believable, but the relationship between Violet & Rule could have covered more ground, June 3, 2010
Bookaholics Reviewer (Bay Area, California) - See all my reviews
Rule's Bride by Kat Martin
Historical Romance -May 1, 2010
3 1/2 Stars

This is my first Kat Martin book, so I was pleasantly surprised when I was easily able to get into the story. It started off capturing my attention because Violet Griffin, seemed to be a strong woman and I like my heroines to be strong! Violet easily runs her father's business despite being abandoned by her husband. Fortunately, Rule Dewar is Violet's husband in name only. The only reason they married in the first place was to placate Violet's dying husband.

Since theirs isn't a `true' marriage, Violet believes that Rule would not object to an annulment. Because she really wants to marry Jeremy, a man who truly cares about her. Violet is determined to find Rule and dissolve their marriage. But to her dismay Rule suggests giving their marriage a try. Violet is shocked because for the 3 years of their marriage Rule has not taken the time or effort to truly get to know her. But what Violet doesn't realize is that Rule suddenly discovers how irresistible she is and he wants a chance to show her how determined he can be, too!

I thought the premise of the story was very believable, but I think that the relationship between Violet and Rule could have covered more ground. Because Rule had been so indifferent to Violet I wanted him to really `work' for her. And I would have enjoyed more scenes where Violet could have put through Rule a lot more effort to earn her love. That being said, I do feel that the chemistry between them is very steamy and I liked both of them. I just needed to read about an event, or situation that would convince me that Rule deserves Violet, and that he loves her above all else. That maybe just the romantic in me, but the ending seemed a little anticlimactic.

This was a solid Regency with characters that were easy to read but I wanted more romance!

Reviewed by Sophia from the Bookaholics Romance Book Club

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't Bother Buying Rule's Bride, May 22, 2010
This review is from: Rule's Bride (Bride Trilogy) (Mass Market Paperback)
I too was disappointed in Rule's Bride by Kat Martin. The characterization was very weak and never fully formed. I really never attached to either Rule or Violet and basically didn't care what happened to either one of them. Any other characters introduced into the book, like Caroline and Luke, also did not have me looking forward to their story. Basically it's taken me a whole week to read this book. I kept hoping it would get better, but it just didn't. I did like Reece's Bride and Royal's Bride, but this story was flat.

3.0 out of 5 stars Conflicted over this book, February 23, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have to admit I was conflicted about this book. Parts of it were good, and then other parts stretched the imagination or felt too contrived.

This book is basically the story of Rule (the youngest Dewar brother) and his relationship with Violet. Rule goes to America and marries Violet to placate her dying father (who is a friend of Rule's). The catch is this is a marriage of convenience, Violet is only 16 and Rule leaves almost immediately to go back to England. When Violet is 19 she goes to England after Rule to demand an annulment. However, Rule is enchanted by how beautiful his bride has become and refuses the annulment. He bargains with Violet and agrees to the annulment if she will stay for 30 days.

I liked Violet most of the time - she was sort of spunky. She was fairly independent and typically knew what she wanted and how to get it. I didn't like how she melted for Rule all the time. She thought she was in love with another man and hadn't seen Rule in three years, but she looks at him and melts. It just doesn't make sense. I found the way they spent the night together the first time to be contrived and somewhat tacky, but maybe that is just me. There were times I liked Rule, and other times I couldn't stand him. He let Violet be independent most of the time, however his treatment of her was often underhanded and just wrong. He married a 16 year old girl with a dying father and just walked away. He continued to do whatever he wanted in England and basically forgot he was married for three years. He felt very immature to me. Also, the fact he didn't know what love was and had to have his brother explain it because Rule grew up without a mother... seriously? So men only know what love is if they grow up with a mother? That part was stupid too. Also, the mystery was half-hearted.

Overall it was an ok read. It isn't one I would spend a lot of money on, but if you are a Kat Martin fan or have read the rest of the series, it wouldn't hurt to check this out of the library. It was a quick read that provided some distraction even if it didn't blow me away.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun, historical romance with a murder mystery and danger added!, July 6, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Rule Dewar is the youngest of the Dewar brothers. His oldest brother Royal is a Duke and his middle brother Reese was in the Royal Army. Rule has been in Boston working for Griffin Manufacturing and Howard Griffin the owner. Rule has enjoyed his time and learned much from the munitions and armaments manufacturer. Mr. Griffin has called Rule to his home with a special proposition. Mr. G. is dying and wants to see that his sixteen year old daughter and only child is taken care of. His wife died some time ago and he is all that is left. He asks Rule to marry her in a marriage of convenience in exchange for half ownership of Griffin Manufacturing which has two plants, one in Boston and one in England. Mr. Griffin's condition is that Rule does not consummate the marriage until Violet is at least eighteen. Rule agrees and he and Violet are married in a quiet ceremony. Rule goes back to England.

Three years later, Rule is at loose ends having broken things off with his mistress a few weeks ago and not really desiring of another. He realizes several years have past, Mr. Griffin is deceased and that he should go to Boston, claim Violet as his wife and bring her to England. However, unbeknown to Rule, Violet is already arriving in England with her cousin and close confidant at her side and chaperoned by a middle-aged lady who was also traveling to England. Violet is determined to have an annulment so she can marry Jeffrey who claims to love her for herself. Once Violet meets up with Rule at his townhouse, he convinces her to give their marriage a one month trial.

How they cope with being married, announcing it to Rule's family and society and also the business dealings of Griffin Manufacturing is all touching, comical and dangerous!

A fun but light read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Pleasent historical romance, May 30, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is the third book in Martin's Bride's Trilogy. It is a pleasant afternoon's read for those who enjoy historical romance novels.
When Howard Griffin, head of Griffin Manufacturing, offers Rule half of his company if he marries his 16 year old daughter Violet, Rule can't turn the offer down. Mr. Griffin has been told he has only a few months to live, and he wants Violet well cared for. The contingency: Rule must not consummate the marriage until Violet turns eighteen.
Rule returns to England, where he manages the English branch of Griffin Manufacturing and receives monthly reports from the Boston main plant. He is pleased with the outcome of his agreement, and ignores the fact he is married.
When Violet turns 19, she arrives in London unexpectedly - with a demand for an annulment. Since the original agreement provided for the entire company to become Violet's if the marriage is not consummated, Rule decides to claim his bride. Meanwhile, other parties are interested in purchasing Griffin Manufacturing and will go to great lengths to acquire it.
Typically well written, the twists and turns of resolving the threats to Reese and Violet keep the reader interested. Reese's brothers Royal (Royal's Bride) and Reese (Reese's Bride) are back in this story helping Rule and Violet deal with threats from those wishing to acquire the company.

2.0 out of 5 stars No Chemistry, No Tension, June 20, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This book started out with promise, but by the middle, it had become lackluster and a bit dull. The plotline was virtually non-existent, and what was there was very predictable and weak. I found no reason to keep turning the pages, because I really couldn't have cared one way or the other. The characters seemed very one-dimensional. There was alot of build-up of Violet's character at the beginning as a strong, independent woman, but again, by the middle of the book, she had lost all of those qualities. For me, Rule had no personality. Why is Violet attracted to him, other than his extreme good looks? There has to be some other factor...some other reason for the attraction, but I just didn't see it. Similarly, we don't really see much of a reason for Rule to be attracted to Violet, other than the fact that, apparently, his "shaft hardened" every time she came into the room, and we were told that his shaft hardened every time she came into the room. He's attracted to her. We get it. But, I'd like to see ALL the ways he's attracted to her, and not just hear about his shaft hardening. We DID hear about him being attracted to her strong, independent personality, at first, but then that disappears, and what we're left with is him staring at her chest and hardening. I need more than that, I guess. Violet gave Rule a month to "convince" her to stay with him, and yet, he never really had to do any "convincing." She just fell in with him from the beginning. I wanted a little bit of friction...a little bit of heat between them. I think that's what this book was ultimately missing.

It's disappointing, because I really wanted to like the book. As I said, I thought the beginning had promise, but it just fell flat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rule's Bride- A Joyfully Recommended Title, July 2, 2010
This review is from: Rule's Bride (Bride Trilogy) (Mass Market Paperback)
Rule Dewar married Violet Griffin three years ago as a favor to her dying father. He promptly returned home to England and his rakish ways, leaving his young bride in Boston. So he couldn't be more stunned when a very different, grown up Violet shows up in his home. He's ready to begin their marriage but Violet has very different ideas. She's there to obtain an annulment so that she can marry another man. Rule is determined to keep his wife, but a hidden enemy is just as determined to make sure that never happens.

I have so loved Kat Martin's Bride Trilogy, but I am unashamed to say that Rule's book is my absolute favorite!! Passion, danger and intrigue pull you into Rule's Bride from the very start and don't let you go. I was dying to see how it ended but was unwilling to turn the last page! I can't even count how many of Ms. Martin's books I've read, but I'm still hooked. I can't recommend Rule's Bride highly enough.

Melissa
Reviewed for Joyfully Reviewed

Rule's Bride (Bride Trilogy)
Rule's Bride (Bride Trilogy) by Kat Martin (Mass Market Paperback - April 27, 2010)
$7.99