Automotive Deals Summer Reading Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro

Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on May 5, 2010
I was bitterly disappointed with this book. I was expecting much more from Kat Martin, one of my favorite authors.

The book starts off with a marriage of guilt between Violet and Rule. Her father is dying and wanted to make sure his daughter is taken care of so he offered Rule an incentive to get him to marry her. It was a good begining. Then the book moves away from greatness towards "why am I reading this crap"ness.

After 3 years of Rule ignoring Violet, he didn't even bother going to her when her father died, Violet ventures off to England to obtain an annulment. Apprently, she is in love with another man and wants to marry him. There, Rule instantly falls in lust with his wife and decides that he's going to keep her - without loving her ofcourse. He fully expects to cheat on her in the future. The only reason he's even interested in his wife is because he feels bored by the women in London.

Coming back to Violet, Rule guilts her into, by using her father, staying with him for 30 days. Now Violet, who I expected to be brighter, falls for that and agrees. She then turns from a woman who knows her mind into a TSTL heroine who can't think beyond Rule's gorgeousness and goes with everything he says, because well, he's so handsome. At this point, I put the book down, I was that disgusted!

Violent pretty much turned into an idiot within a few moments of meeting Rule. Here is this supposedly strong and independent woman who ran a company by herself for 3 years and yet when her husband says jump she says how high.

Moving forward, she ends up sleeping with him and falling in love with him. He does not reciporcate her feelings. He is then accused of murder and she pretty much does everything she can to catch the real killer and have her husband come home. After she does, he literally tells her he doesn't love her and she still doesn't leave.

OMG! Violet pissed me off. I wish her character would have been stronger and much more independent. I wish she had a brain.

I do not recommend buying this book, its not worth it. Your better off not reading it but if you have to, get it from the library.
33 comments| 37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 3, 2011
Let me preface by saying I've haven't read the first two books of this series or anything else by Kat Martin. Perhaps if I had, I would have liked this book more, though I doubt it.

First and foremost, I did not like Rule. He started off as a self-centered jerk wad just out to get laid. As the story progressed, he turned into a moronic jerk wad just out to get laid that needed to grow up more than just a little. Every time he possibly redeemed himself, he then went and proved himself to be, yet again, self-centered, moronic, or both.

By comparison, Violet seems like a very likable and sensible character. But she up and decides she's in love with Rule because he looks good and has moment of quasi-heroism. My estimation of her continued to decline each time her common sense was warped by hormones.

So, basically, these two deserve each other given how idiotic they both are. Their relationship, which seems to consist of sex and jealousy, hits an impasse, then they go whining about to someone else, said confidant tells them what to do, they go back to their shallow relationship, rinse and repeat. This is really a cautionary tale about two strangers jumping into a relationship together -- very vapid and aggravating. Plus the whole resolution to Rule's supposedly inability to love, and all because he didn't have a mommy . . . give me break. I don't want to toss out a spoiler, in case someone actually wants to read the book, or else I'd really rant about the ending.

Most everything else about the book wasn't enough to get me past the above gripes. Lots of -- too many -- minor characters that I didn't care about, which turned into so much clutter. A suspenseful plot that I couldn't pay attention to, annoyed as I was by the characters. In short, nothing much to recommend this.

But! I did enjoy Caroline and Luke's side story quite a bit. Oh, how I wish the author had chucked Rule and Violet entirely and just written a book about Caroline and Luke. There was a true romance, there were well-rounded characters. I eventually gave up on Rule and mostly read their story. What a waste of potential.
on April 30, 2010
In 1857 Boston, visiting Londoner Lord Rule Dewar agreed to marry the teenage daughter of Howard Griffin, owner of Griffin Manufacturing. The deal was pure economics as sixteen year old Violet gets a title and the man she has a schoolgirl crush on and Rule gets a gun manufacturing firm. He returned home to a life of much greater affluent debauchery while she remained in New England.

Three years later Violet arrives unannounced in London to demand Rule agree to an annulment. Attracted to his feisty beautiful American wife, he wants to consummate their marriage, which he failed to do when they exchanged I do. She insists she has someone else in mind for her marriage bed. Falling in love, Rule persuades her to give him one month to prove they belong together as a happy married couple; if she still wants the annulment he will grant it without an argument. As he courts his wife, who has loved him since he came to her home in Boston, someone wants the pair kept apart and a murder is an acceptable means to achieve that end.

The final R. Dewar's Bride historical romance (see Royal's Bride and Reese's Bride) is an enjoyable Victorian romance starring a married couple beginning their courtship three years after they wed. Although the marriage of economic convenience is an ancient standby of the historical sub-genre, Kat Martin refreshes it with her lead couple as she wants a first chance while his wife prefers a different chance with someone else. Readers will enjoy the intelligent tale as Rule has a climb higher than Big Ben to get out of the hole he is in when it comes to winning his wife's respect though he has her love.

Harriet Klausner
on July 24, 2016
This is the last book in this series. I just finished the series for the second time, a couple of years apart. I enjoyed them all again. This is one of my favorite authors, and have enjoyed many lazy afternoons with a Kat Martin book in my lap.
on September 16, 2013
I have loved all the stories of the three brothers in this series. Each one was unique unto itself and each brother found his perfect mate. This final story has been in my que for a long time, mainly because I could just not bare to let the series end. I know, I should have done it ages ago but I thought if I postponed it that would make it easier to say goodbye to these three delightfully, handsome, strong men, but it didn't.

I don't believe you should miss the opportunity to not read any of the three stories. They are spectacular stories with wonderful, memorable characters and the wives of these men are absolutely above and beyond the average for this time period. Each of the stories and this one in particular are real, sexy and poignant. You will remember them long after you close the pages of the story.

READ and ENJOY
on June 3, 2010
Rule's Bride by Kat Martin
Historical Romance -May 1, 2010
3 1/2 Stars

This is my first Kat Martin book, so I was pleasantly surprised when I was easily able to get into the story. It started off capturing my attention because Violet Griffin, seemed to be a strong woman and I like my heroines to be strong! Violet easily runs her father's business despite being abandoned by her husband. Fortunately, Rule Dewar is Violet's husband in name only. The only reason they married in the first place was to placate Violet's dying husband.

Since theirs isn't a `true' marriage, Violet believes that Rule would not object to an annulment. Because she really wants to marry Jeremy, a man who truly cares about her. Violet is determined to find Rule and dissolve their marriage. But to her dismay Rule suggests giving their marriage a try. Violet is shocked because for the 3 years of their marriage Rule has not taken the time or effort to truly get to know her. But what Violet doesn't realize is that Rule suddenly discovers how irresistible she is and he wants a chance to show her how determined he can be, too!

I thought the premise of the story was very believable, but I think that the relationship between Violet and Rule could have covered more ground. Because Rule had been so indifferent to Violet I wanted him to really `work' for her. And I would have enjoyed more scenes where Violet could have put through Rule a lot more effort to earn her love. That being said, I do feel that the chemistry between them is very steamy and I liked both of them. I just needed to read about an event, or situation that would convince me that Rule deserves Violet, and that he loves her above all else. That maybe just the romantic in me, but the ending seemed a little anticlimactic.

This was a solid Regency with characters that were easy to read but I wanted more romance!

Reviewed by Sophia from the Bookaholics Romance Book Club
on July 31, 2013
I love to read Romance and Historical Romance is even better! Kat Martin is one of my favorite authors. Her details are so minute that I feel that I'm in the room with the Bride in question! I forget the ironing and cooking? Pizza for everyone! Enjoy this book and this author!
VINE VOICEon February 23, 2011
Format: Mass Market Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have to admit I was conflicted about this book. Parts of it were good, and then other parts stretched the imagination or felt too contrived.

This book is basically the story of Rule (the youngest Dewar brother) and his relationship with Violet. Rule goes to America and marries Violet to placate her dying father (who is a friend of Rule's). The catch is this is a marriage of convenience, Violet is only 16 and Rule leaves almost immediately to go back to England. When Violet is 19 she goes to England after Rule to demand an annulment. However, Rule is enchanted by how beautiful his bride has become and refuses the annulment. He bargains with Violet and agrees to the annulment if she will stay for 30 days.

I liked Violet most of the time - she was sort of spunky. She was fairly independent and typically knew what she wanted and how to get it. I didn't like how she melted for Rule all the time. She thought she was in love with another man and hadn't seen Rule in three years, but she looks at him and melts. It just doesn't make sense. I found the way they spent the night together the first time to be contrived and somewhat tacky, but maybe that is just me. There were times I liked Rule, and other times I couldn't stand him. He let Violet be independent most of the time, however his treatment of her was often underhanded and just wrong. He married a 16 year old girl with a dying father and just walked away. He continued to do whatever he wanted in England and basically forgot he was married for three years. He felt very immature to me. Also, the fact he didn't know what love was and had to have his brother explain it because Rule grew up without a mother... seriously? So men only know what love is if they grow up with a mother? That part was stupid too. Also, the mystery was half-hearted.

Overall it was an ok read. It isn't one I would spend a lot of money on, but if you are a Kat Martin fan or have read the rest of the series, it wouldn't hurt to check this out of the library. It was a quick read that provided some distraction even if it didn't blow me away.
on May 22, 2010
I too was disappointed in Rule's Bride by Kat Martin. The characterization was very weak and never fully formed. I really never attached to either Rule or Violet and basically didn't care what happened to either one of them. Any other characters introduced into the book, like Caroline and Luke, also did not have me looking forward to their story. Basically it's taken me a whole week to read this book. I kept hoping it would get better, but it just didn't. I did like Reece's Bride and Royal's Bride, but this story was flat.
on July 24, 2013
I grew up in a house of siblings, loved the interchange of the three brothers, helping, loving and forgiveness they had for each other family ties are discussed with behavior mixed with inappropiate behaviors, whit happy outcomes Good reading