5.0 out of 5 stars Toni Hargis for Ambassador!
Published on May 5, 2006 by Jon Hunt

3.0 out of 5 stars Good content, bad Kindle formatting
Published on December 15, 2011 by Amanda

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Toni Hargis for Ambassador!, May 5, 2006
Whilst scanning my local bookstore's shelves for a quick read I came across "Rules, Britannia" by Toni Summers Hargis. After finishing it (in one sitting) I know not to say "it was 'quite' good", for that would indicate something less than extreme pleasure on my part. "Rules, Britannia" is VERY good, informative and funny and while our language differences deserve credit for the book's inspiration the author has earned all of the rest.

Having grown up on the other side of the pond, Ms. Hargis has spent sixteen years in the States and has a perspective that is most welcome from an American point of view. For those of us who have spent a good amount of time in England, reading "Rules, Britannia" tells one more of the things one doesn't know but probably should. This is not merely a collective glossary of word translations (although at the end of each chapter there is one, relating to that particular chapter) but a look at what every American needs to know upon visiting the mother country. From transportation and food to shopping and partying, the author is a gentle teacher, or perhaps more of a cultural ambassador.

What Toni Hargis does so well is relate things from an English viewpoint. I was surprised to see that the Brits find it very rude if you refer to another person in your midst as "he" or "she", or that if you cannot attend a dinner party it is essential (almost to a comical fault) that you let your host know exactly the reasons WHY you won't be there. I laughed out loud after reading about the fact that Brits never park their car leaving it in gear when the author then goes on to say, "if you borrow someone's car, for heaven's sake don't leave it in gear when you return it, or the owner will kangaroo straight through the garden wall next time the engine's turned on." Who can resist such advice?!

Occasionally, you'll find some repetitions in the book....what you're reading you just read a few pages ago. A couple of additions would be good also... (unless I missed them) when stepping off the pavement make sure to look right before crossing the street (there are reminders on London streets) and if trying to book passage on BritRail on Christmas Day or Boxing Day, forget about it. I suppose this is a way of saying there is probably enough material for another book by author Hargis.....one I would stand hours in a queue to purchase!

I highly recommend "Rules, Brittania". It's practical, down-to-earth and immensely enjoyable.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Incredibly Helpful Book!, June 19, 2006
KK (Madison, WI) - See all my reviews
I've now read this book front to back twice and I have found it to be so incredibly helpful as I prepare for my move to the UK in July. I would highly recommend this book to anyone moving from the US to the UK, or the UK to the US...or just anyone interested in British culture, as it is highly entertaining as well as informative.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good content, bad Kindle formatting, December 15, 2011
Amanda (Washington, DC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rules, Britannia: An Insider's Guide to Life in the United Kingdom (Kindle Edition)
Book content is great; there's some info you should already be familiar with, but lots of gems to keep you from embarrassing yourself more than you might otherwise as you settle in to life in the UK. That said, the reformatting for Kindle is, as seems usual, poor. I really resent paying for digital books that haven't even been spell checked, and this digital text contains a handful of errors which can be particularly confusing if you're not familiar with British lingo and spelling. For this kind of book at this kind of price, errors in the Kindle version are unacceptable-- get with it Amazon!

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential Read Before Relocating to the UK, April 5, 2008
I read through the entire book the first day I got it, and am sure I will reference it again and again before (and probably after) I relocate to London for six months. It's extremely informative, witty and well-written. Many topics are addressed that I hadn't even thought about. It covers do's and don't's for nearly every situation imagineable. The pronunciations and "glossary" sections the end of each chapter are most helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, February 14, 2010
This is a great book for anyone who is looking for a little insight on life in England. She breaks down all the different topics and then at the end of each chapter she will highlight the main topics and gives you a translation of unfamiliar words. She also provides helpful websites to check out at the end of each chapter as well. It was a great help! Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, September 30, 2009
Deliteful (South Carolina) - See all my reviews
I am moving to England in a few months and have been trying to learn as much as I possibly can before the move. I have had this book for three days and have read it cover to cover. It was fun and easy to read. I plan on reading it again soon. It answered a lot of questions I had about England and explained things pretty well. I recommend reading if you are moving to England or just want to learn more!

5.0 out of 5 stars this is a HOOT, May 9, 2006
Very funny, easy pick up and put down...and then pick up again. I read parts aloud to my ten year old and she laughed too. Good variety of topics and the website additions helpful. I liked best when she wrote about her American born husband and her children's reactions. The potty talk section really got me laughing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful!, May 11, 2011
I moved to England a few months ago and this book has been very helpful. It was a pleasure to read - especially while in London and observing first hand the behaviors described in the book! I literally refer back to tidbits I learned from this book on a daily basis. I highly recommend it! (Now if someone could explain to me how to avoid the English blunder of referring to someone in the third person if they are in your presence without having asked them their name first...and in order to do that, introducing myself "too soon" in the conversation...I am confused. I am trying not to be offended that some English moms don't introduce themselves to me after I have introduced myself to them! To me that feels extremely rude. Ugh.)

5.0 out of 5 stars entertaining and informative, January 6, 2011
I bought this for my sister who is moving to England. Her English boyfriend took a look at it before I gave it to her and got a real kick out of it- he said it was hilariously accurate, so I think it will be helpful for her. A lot of information about the different lingo and word meaning and social norms- what is appropriate and what is not. All in an entertaining writing style. Good book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Vital reading for tourists, Anglophiles, and anyone who appreciates British TV programs, May 2, 2013
I didn't think I needed this book. Not really. After all, I grew up in America, but our family friends included several people from England. As a child and as an adult, I love British TV, movies, and... well, I can't get enough of Jane Austen and P. G. Wodehouse books. And, I've spent considerable time traveling throughout the British Isles.

So, I thought I was fairly fluent in English views, slang, and manners.

Reading this book, I realized that I wasn't even close to understanding the "rules" of the culture. Worse, I was badly mistaken about a few things.

This is easily the very best book for anyone visiting England, and it will answer questions you didn't even know you had. Avoid social blunders, pronunciation gaffes, and absolute confusion as you travel around the U.K. Get this book and read it cover-to-cover.

"Rules, Britannia" is entertaining reading, written from an American viewpoint. I laughed, I blushed, and I took notes.

I wish I'd read it years ago, not just for travel, but also to better understand subtle humor in British TV shows on PBS... including Downton Abbey. And, no matter how light I want to keep my luggage, this book is sure to be in my suitcase during future trips to England.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›