Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: 42 Rules for Sourcing and Manufacturing in China: A practical handbook for doing business in China, special economic zones, factory tours and manufacturing quality.
Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Recess Monkey The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on July 30, 2010
To be fair, there are some good points spread along the chapters.
But I would not recommend it for the following reasons:
-1- It is not a "practical handbook" about sourcing. The book lists the main incoterms without specifying which ones are the most common, open account is presented as comparable to L/C and T/T, etc. Has the author ever sourced anything from China? I doubt it!
-2- Poor examples. Some very large suppliers (Foxconn, Flextronics, Li&Fung...) are presented, but isn't this book aimed at smaller buyers who will have to live with another reality?
-3- Lots of typos ("Han Hai" instead of "Hon Hai", Guangzhou instead of Guangdong....) , and some repetition from one "rule" to another.
-4- Some pieces of advice are given by self-serving consulting companies. Most pieces of advice are solid, but many are worthless (or even dangerous -- e.g. hiring an auditor to stay full-time in a factory, instead of using rotating inspectors).
It is a pity, because the author seems to understand Chinese culture. But not manufacturing...
33 comments|36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 15, 2011
I don't like to be negative, but if you're really going to rate this book low because of a couple typos you missed your calling as an angry english teacher. I see typos in the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, and I'm sure you've made a few as well in your lifetime. (Stepping down from my soapbox) O.k, so having read three of the best rated books in this category I can tell you that my favorite was 42 Rules for Sourcing and Manufacturing In China, by Rosemary Coates. To be very honest I've actually read two and a half of the books because one of the authors failed to capture my interest even by the half way point and was a very painful read. 42 Rules is a concise yet thorough book on the subject which is much appreciated after attempting to read the previously mentioned book. So if you're on the fence and you don't know which book on China to get, get 42 Rules-you'll be glad you did. After reading all these books I found myself even more curious and anxious to learn more about China so I took a shot and wrote the author Rosemary Coates. Not only did she write me back, she helped me find the highly qualified trustworthy person I needed in China for my business. In working professionally with Rosemary you come to find out very quickly why she has been so successful in her long and seasoned career doing business in China. Thank you for this book!
on June 25, 2012
This is a little guide book for doing business in China. Rosemary Coates did an excellent job incorporating history, culture, and politics to help readers understand modern China. It's full of gems and lots of good advice and insights. I also found it easy to read yet comprehensive. It covers topics from choosing a manufacturer to negotiation to IP protection. I would recommend this book to anyone who is contemplating doing business in China.
on March 26, 2010
As an old China hand I wish I had this knowledge historically, culturally and the business process realities when I started going to China over 25 years ago. I remember Shenzhen at a few hundred thousand not fifteen. Rosemary has cut to the essence of doing business in China and I recommend this book for all senior procurement, engineering and logistics management to make it mandatory reading for their junior staffs. The lessons here are Chinese, but the logic of the approach will apply to all countries. Make sure you know the territory before you enter the game. Bravo.
on February 2, 2012
After reading Ms. Coates book you quickly recognize the depth and breadth of her experiences and knowledge doing business in China. She provides valuable information to those seeking to learn more of this subject. I recommend her highly as an excellent resource if you are considering business in China or have not been successful in your endeavors to date.

Bruce Mitchell
Author - 13 Steps to Manufacturing in China
on November 14, 2013
My wife brought this book home from work one day. It was laying on the kitchen counter and the title caught my eye. Since I'm an IT guy and have been to Asia (India and Singapore) quite a bit during my career, I thought I should read the book. I felt like I needed to know a little about sourcing and manufacturing in China.

The book was a fast and easy read that provided an excellent high level education about manufacturing in China. I was entertained all the way and learned several new things (e.g., China Price, Guanxi, Great Firewall, Five Star Factories and INCOTERMS).

I thoroughly enjoyed this book and recommend to anyone with an interest in doing business in China.

Read time was about 2 hours total for me.
on November 20, 2015
Not sure why this book received so many good reviews. It is very short (all the 42 rules are only a page to two pages each) and the information is all common knowledge and information that is repeated in all blog posts about doing business in China. No insights in this book unless you absolutely know nothing about China or the Chinese people.
on August 17, 2013
A great read.

Very useful for those contemplating doing business in China.

Full of succinct and actionable information.

Thanks,
Dave Lavers
Panther Valley Imports
on December 1, 2011
I rarely write reviews, but this book is worth it. Easy to read and extremely informative. I echo the sentiments of some other reviewers that called it a "must if you're doing business in China." Highly recommend.
on August 13, 2014
What a fascinating read. For the first time I have a thorough understanding of why we have so many issues in dealing with China, even though we think we have clearly stated the problem and agreed on a plan of action. I think we have all had a list of attributes in our minds related to doing business with the Chinese, but to have them all listed and thoroughly explored and explained, crystalized those attributes into an image I have not fully understood before.
The American way is to assess and then modify our actions to get results. We can sometimes be blunt, but we generally follow through with our commitments and break down obstacles to get to the bottom of issues. Saving face for the Chinese enters into almost every one of their decisions and even with agreement, saving face can quickly overrule any commitment. Either we fully engage, immerse ourselves with time and patience, and protect ourselves, or pay the price for trusting a culture that shares little of American values. If you are going to do business in China, ”it is their way or the highway” is not just a phrase.
We all deal with Chinese regularly here in America and to be able to even understand their apparent rudeness (to us) in pushing their way through lines or a crowd is almost comical. For those who don’t do business in China, I would encourage them to read this book to renew our appreciation for this great country we are blessed to call the United States of America.