Rumparooz One Size Cloth Pocket Diaper Snap, Kangarooz
Size: SnapColor: Kangarooz (Snap)Change
Price:$23.95+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on February 5, 2014
After continuously cloth diapering from birth to 18 months, every single one of my cloth diapers are going strong and look like they will be able to be passed down to another baby. Except for these rumparooz.

The greatest cloth diapering advice I followed and would pass on is to not buy a lot of one kind of diaper. Babies grow and needs change, and you don't know what brand will match your evolving needs. Before baby was born I bought one each of 10 different brands of pocket diapers, plus a dozen prefolds. I was initially impressed with the rumparooz and purchased one more. When baby began sleeping through the night my 2 rumparooz and 3 bum genius 4.0s became my night diapers. But by 5 months I began experiencing leaking with the rumparooz. They became more and more unreliable and I eventually gave up with them as night diapers at 9 months; but by 12 months they started leaking badly during daytime too, soaking through even after 1 pee. Pretty suddenly over the course of a few weeks the elastic completely lost its elasticity, and they became unusable garbage.

The rumparooz always fit weird. Initially with a 6 lb newborn I liked that they were one of the first to fit, but there was always a massive gap in the legs. There are different configurations for the inserts which makes them complicated and frustrating to try to find the best fit as baby grows. FInally I decided that, apart from the elastic failing after 12 months, they are just badly designed.

The poop-holding qualities of the double gusset is more of a marketing ploy I feel. Any good cloth diaper will contain poop, and the most reliable of all happens to be the cheapest: a prefold with thirsties duo or wool cover.

None of my other cloth diapers have failed me in any way, and many are like new still. For the record the best of all in my opinion is Bum Genius 4.0. Cloth diapers are expensive investments, spread your risk and don't buy too many one kind.

If helpful here is my list of pocket or AIO diapers, from best to worst:
Bum Genius 4.0 - all around great, never failed me, good for at night. line dries fastest of all.

Happy Heinies - almost as nice as the bum genius but harder to put on. Nicest looking of all my diapers.

Blueberry one size - pretty good, 3rd place

grovia organic cotton AIO - Not for durations longer than an hour or two, but easy to put on when toddler is standing up. Cotton is frayed from the leg elastic but doesn't affect performance.

Best Bottom - easy to put on while toddler is standing up, not for long durations

Bum Genius elemental - this is a reliable diaper, but holds wetness next to skin because it's cotton. I don't like to use it for very long durations for this reason.

Kissaluv AIO - Didn't fit well until about 15 lbs, but easy to put on when toddler is standing up. Not the best at containing poop. line dries fast.

tots bots (sold as bummis) - really cute and soft and looks brand new after 18 months of use, however occasional leak problems throughout its life and really hard to snap.

fuzzibunz one size - good in the beginning but too small by about 20 lbs. some issues with leaking over the course of its life. Difficult to stuff the pocket, probably impossible for someone with large hands.

blueberry minky - for some reason ridiculously wide in the crotch. the PUL looks like it might be delaminating, but it functions well and somewhat reliable as a night diaper

rumparooz one size - good in beginning but declining reliability followed by complete elastic failure.
on August 25, 2011
The Rumparooz is a cute and sturdy diaper with a very soft interior. We have been using this for three weeks now. Our baby eats breastmilk exclusively and is 3 months old. In addition to Rumparooz, we have also tried Bum Genius 4.0, Heinys and Thirsties wraps with inserts (Osocozy and Thirsties hemp). At night, we add an extra Thirsties Hemp insert.Thirsties Hemp Inserts 2 Pack, Large 18-40 lbs

About the Rumparooz:
Big Plus: Lots of buttons to adjust size. Little hands are unlikely to open the buttons, as they close tightly. Light weight. Gussets live up to their promise. Softest interior of all the diapers that we have tried. Love the style.

Small Minus: Compared with other diaper brands, the poop in the Rumparooz tends to cling slightly more to the interior when I am trying to rinse it off. However, it does come off eventually so it's not really a problem (we have a water sprayer to clean it before throwing it in the washer/drier).

Go little 'roos! We love all non-disposable diapers that we have tried, including this one.
Note to readers: If you're puzzled about whether to try cloth diapering at all and are intimidated by the variety of diapers on the market (as I was a short while ago) then keep in mind that there are only so many different ways to design them, no matter how they're branded. Fear not, it's not a science.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 27, 2011
We have been using 9 brands of pocket diapers over the last year, and within the last few months added a 10th brand. We are really good about rotation our diapers to make sure that they get even use, wear and wash...so none of them wear out quickly. We have 9 RaR; they have been our night time go-to diaper for about 9 months. I cannot say enough good things about the inner gusset system. Really. But 5-6 weeks ago I noticed that the elastic in 3 of my RaR was starting to die. Within a week, it was dead in all 3 diapers. No more stretch. At this point, 7 of 9 RaR have major elastic issues. I will likely spend time replacing the elastic in all of them next weekend. I understand that elastic wears out, but we haven't had even the slightest problem with any other brand of diaper. I am inclined, after reading of many similar experiences over the last couple of weeks, to believe that KangaCare might be using a lesser quality elastic. Without this elastic issue, these would be a 5 star diaper for me.
on April 29, 2013
These diapers are fine and work just as well as my other cloth diapers (BumGenius and Blueberry). They adjust to my baby's little legs easily and keep EBF poo trapped in as well as my other diapers. I agree with other reviewers that EBF poo does stick to the interior fabric a little more than my other diapers (hence the four stars) but at least the poo is trapped in there.
UPDATE: I can't support Kanga Care anymore after the immature behavior displayed by their CEO. Cloth diaper companies should be a little more supportive of each other and consider the bigger picture of the impact CDing has on environment and families over their own bottom dollar. Since Kanga Care was granted a patent on double gussets in their pocket diapers, they are selfishly turning the cloth diaper world upside down. How they got a patent on something so common as the double gusset is beyond me (like the patent for tires being round). WAHMs have been making DGs in their cloth diapers since before Kanga Care was even a business. The idea came from the DGs in disposables. It is one thing to make a quality product and have excellent customer service in order to set your business apart and help it succeed. Low blows like repeatedly applying for a patent that is unfounded just to monopolize the industry is not welcomed in the cloth diaper community. I for one will never spend my money on a Kanga Care product again. I just can't support this kind of behavior. There are plenty of other companies out there that have great products AND integrity.
on July 25, 2011
We have tried many brands and styles of cloth diapers on our son, who is long and thin for his age (4mo). These work very well for containing BF poos, but we have experienced some wicking of urine from the leg openings onto his clothing--not often, just on occasion.
It comes with two inserts, one newborn/doubler and a larger infant insert. They are very absorbent. During the day, i use one newborn insert. for naps, one infant insert. and the two together are good for overnights (we still wake once during the night to change diapers and nurse.)
My one real complaint is that the diaper is called a One Size diaper to fit from birth to potty training, but we are already on the last set of rise snaps! I think with a shorter baby, it would be fine. but i dont think this diaper will be long enough for my son past a year.
on November 4, 2011
I like these diapers, but they do have one downside. With our four month old (diaper expanded to one snap away from the largest), poop inevitably covers the entire area you have to stick your hand in to pull out the insert. This is... not fun. On our other cloth diapers, the pocket opening opening is much higher, actually on the top seam at the back. As far as I can guess, this is why the problem occurs with the Rumparooz. The opening is an inch below the back of the diaper.

On the positive side, they almost never leak. And the poop issue can be handled by sticking a wipe over the area and grabbing the insert through it. But it all seems like something that is avoidable if they just moved the opening higher. If they fixed that, I'd give 5/5.

We encountered a slight problem when ordering in that we ordered two applix and they sent us two snap ones. The bands on them had labels saying "applix" even though they were snaps so it wasn't just a simple problem of grabbing the wrong ones. However, they cross-shipped correct ones with Saturday delivery and paid for the shipping in both directions. Very good service. This bumps my review up to 4/5, even with the design flaw.

(And to answer another possible question in advance - we didn't start using these until our boy was three months old. I can't speak to whether or not they really would fit a newborn as claimed.)
on February 5, 2013
We bought 24 of these diapers when our baby was born. I had spoken to other cloth-diapering mothers, and they favored this one over fuzzy buns, because the snaps were more well-constructed. They are also cuter and there is no need to mess with the strings that adjust the legs like FB.

Overall, I've been pretty happy with them. They could be used from birth on. Our daughter was 9.6lbs at birth, and we used disposables the first two weeks, so I never really tested them out on a small baby. In the beginning, they were super absorbent and we never had a leak or blow-out. I like the quality of the outer cover, and of the adjustable snapping system. Also, it's great to be able to double them up for night-time diapers. And, the covers are so so cute!

Our daughter is currently 11 months. We recently had to strip the diapers, as they were starting to leak constantly. I emailed the company and they gave me directions to rinse once in cold water, follow with a hot wash with a large amount of tide detergent, and then two more hot washes without any detergent. This worked really well to remove the build-up. We occasionally have had to use 1% hydrocortisone cream, under our pediatrician's recommendation, for diaper rash. This was probably the source of the leaks, as it can build up and ruin your diapers. So thank goodness stripping worked.

I would have given 5 stars, but there are a few things holding me back. The first is that the elastic is completely shot on about half of the diapers, and we have only had them 11 months. I feel that the company could have used better quality elastic. I emailed them about it and they blamed it on build-up. This does not really make sense to me. I think it's probably from the constant use and stretching during crawling. I did find a helpful video on you tube that shows how to remove the elastic and sew in new elastic. I will be doing this soon. Even if the company took back the diapers and fixed them, I couldn't possibly live without them for the amount of time it would take to send them out and get them back. The other issue is that the insert does not completely run the entire length of the diaper. There is a gap in the back where the pocket is, and theoretically, if the diaper is very wet, fluids or solids can leak out the back. But I have not found this to be too much of a problem.

I'm excited about all of the new colors and patterns they keep adding, though I probably won't be buying anymore diapers.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I freakin love this diaper. I have been cloth diapering for the first time for only 8 weeks now with my daughter, and this is the best diaper I have used so far. I have tried several different brands of pocket diapers and these are my favorite. If I could go back in time and not have any diapers except for these, I would. They are very good looking and durable, and very soft and fluffy. They are SUPER absorbent. I have not had any leaks whatsoever even with my VERY heavy wetter! I have some friends who are TTC that are interested in cloth diapering, and I plan to buy some for their baby showers. These are my favorite cloth diapers by far. I love the colors and prints, and the fact that they are one size. All the snaps are not confusing in my opinion. Not for me or for my husband, who normally prefers the diapers with the velcro closures. I think this is his favorite diaper as well. Anyone who is considering cloth diapers should really look into Rumparooz. They are super easy to stuff and easy to wash, and offer much more bottom cushion than a disposable, and even some other cloth diapers. I can't get over how fluffy and soft they are! So sweet for a little baby tushie.

---Update---

DD is 13 months old now and we are still going strong in CDs. In all this time I still have not found a better pocket diaper than Rumparooz. A close fave would be Bumgenius 4.0 but those are not as cushiony soft as these and they don't have the poo fence which works great for those runny poopies. Love, love, love these diapers.

UNFORTUNATELY we can't use them anymore because they kept repelling. I finally realized that I have water so hard that I can't use any fleecy diapers or very thick fitteds unless I want to do 10 rinse cycles every time I wash diapers. Now we are only using Kiwi Pies, flats, and prefolds in order to keep CDing, but I miss my Rumparooz! I still highly recommend them to everyone who uses pockets.
review image
on January 30, 2012
I have been cloth diapering for over a year and have 2 of these in my stash as well as a bunch of Bum Genius 4.0s and 1 Fuzzi Bunz.
Pros:
-One size fits 6-35 lbs and they also sell a Lil Joey version for babies smaller than 6 lbs. DD didn't weight 7-8lbs, the starting weight for most other one size diapers, until 2 mo. Rumparooz has the advantage here.
-The softest fleece lining DD's bum has experienced- by far!
-Patented inner gussets go a long way to prevent leaks
-Comes in the coolest colors and designs
-Fit below belly button is a plus for newborns with intact umbilical cords
-6 R soaker insert is the thickest of the ones we use and the 2 included inserts can be snapped together

Cons:
-Cost of $24 and up makes it the most expensive of all my diapers. Luckily, I scored mine for $20 a piece on sale.
-We have a difficult time adjusting this diaper to my daughter and this has led to some leaking problems. It is likely user error, but I have already snapped this diaper out to the longest rise and DD is only in the 3rd percentile at age 1 year. For us, this is the biggest reason (aside from price) that I did not buy more of this diaper.
-Not closed at the top like BG, which led to some initial leaks
-The slowest drying of my stash
- Sometimes difficult to shake solids off the micro fleece especially around the leg gussets

Overall, the best quality diaper in terms of soft inner and outer materials and excellent craftsmanship. But the difficulty achieving a good fit, especially the short rise, has made it challenging for us to use. This, along with price, made me decide not to buy any more after my initial two.
on July 25, 2011
These are good cloth diapers. We originally bought bumGenius One-Size Cloth Diaper 4.0 - Noodle - Hook & Loop, but my son was allergic to the suede lining and got horrible rashes on his bottom! We could have gotten the organic version of the BumGenius diaper, but it was all-in-one and I feared long drying times and didn't like the idea of not being able to clean the liner separately (how do I know it's clean?!) We switched to Rumparooz and though they're a little more expensive, he has not had a problem with rashes. My only criticism would be that the opening for the pocket doesn't overlap (like the BumGenius ones) and so often times if he has a dirty, it gets on the liner too because the opening isn't covered and protecting it. It doesn't leak or anything, it's just a nuisance to take a dirty liner out of a dirty diaper and clean it and try to stay clean yourself! (Though with cloth diapers, you can't be afraid to get a little 'dirty'.) Also regarding the gap in the pocket opening: the diaper tag is exposed and often touches my son's skin enough to cause him to itch there. I'd like to see future versions that have the pocket opening more overlapped and protective.

The inner gussets are a nice feature, though it is hard to clean the dirty diaper in those little wrinkles in the fabric from the elastic. I didn't have an issue with leaking on the other diapers that had no gussets, but we didn't start cloth diapers until after my son was on solids so that extra protection might be a God-send for babies under one year.

See 1 answered question