Run

5.0 out of 5 stars Thrill Ride and a Half!
This book is a thrill-ride and a half! I can't take credit for the quote that Blake Crouch is a "cross between Stephen King and Cormac McCarthy," but after reading "RUN," I have to thoroughly agree with the assessment!

Published on February 26, 2011 by Selena Kitt

2.0 out of 5 stars RUN - away from this book
Published on October 2, 2011 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Thrill Ride and a Half!, February 26, 2011
This review is from: Run (Kindle Edition)

Like King, Crouch writes about real people in extraordinary situations, but more like McCarthy, his prose can be beautiful, poignant and even sublime. Make no mistake, this is a thriller, but there are some scenes in this book so scary you may just check the locks on your doors. This book starts off at a "run" and it just doesn't stop. I stayed up late into the night reading faster and faster to find out what was going to happen to this immediately sympathetic and potentially doomed family of four.

Crouch's characters are very human and very real, and he masterfully weaves often grave and contemplative themes with breathless action. There is deep meaning here, but you don't have time to stop and think about the weight of it until the very last page of the book. Crouch takes you on a ride you just can't get off, and you don't want to - you have to find out what's going to happen!

I was completely swept into the story and found myself at turns terrified, touched and exhilarated along with the Colclough family. Just when you think it can't get any worse...it does. And then it does again. And then... oh then. I can't tell you anymore. What are you waiting for? Buy this book and read it! Now! You have no idea the thrill ride you're missing!

5.0 out of 5 stars Nowhere to hide, February 25, 2011
jeroen ten berge (Welllington, New Zealand) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Run (Kindle Edition)
DESERT PLACES and LOCKED DOORS are the two books that introduced me to Blake Crouch - they completely blew me away. The two that follow, the sweeping novel ABANDON, and roller coaster ride that is SNOWBOUND, are equally great.

RUN however takes Blake's storytelling to another level completely. Like before he managed me to care for the main characters, and like before he doesn't pull punches. The difference this time is that while the ensuing mayhem is all encompassing, the affects of that mayhem focus primarily on a family of four. While reading I quickly became part of that family, ran with them on their search for safety, cheered when they found shelter, was shocked when things turned from bad to worse, and was deeply moved by the outcome.

DESERT PLACES and LOCKED DOORS were my favorite novels written by Crouch so far, in part because they introduced me to him. But RUN has achieved what I thought impossible. It is now top of my list, and like DESERT PLACES and LOCKED DOORS I expect to read RUN numerous times... Highest recommendation!

5.0 out of 5 stars Run is a suspenseful avalanche, March 6, 2011
This review is from: Run (Kindle Edition)
Run barely gives the reader time to breathe before it takes off, following Jack, Dee, and their two children, Naomi and Cole attempting to avoid the targets on their backs, get out of Albuquerque, and find refuge and answers. The family faces challenges to their unity and their sanity as they journey from the New Mexico highways to the Rockies. The killers are patrolling the roads in a convoy of vehicles. Any run-in with strangers could mean meeting an ally, or fighting for survival. The truck needs fuel and oil. The family needs food and water, and a plan - all of which are in short supply.

Crouch puts his characters through a barrage of tests, offering them just enough rewards and peace to set up their next challenge. They face gunmen, dogs, starvation, freezing to death, and sometimes each other, as they struggle to find a path to survival and hope for a future. He creates fantastic visuals that capture the sheer beauty of nature, and also the horrific impact made as the packs of killers slice their way through these pictures. He offers description that can only come from a person with knowledge of these cities and mountains. He accomplishes this without being too wordy and distracting from the action and emotion of the scenes.

Crouch paints scenery just as easily as he paints agony. He has a fantastic talent for connecting readers with the pain of his characters, good and bad alike. Run accelerates like an avalanche; building slowly at first, then overwhelming readers once it gains momentum. The book offers a good "slow burn" for a while, but continues to amplify in intensity and action. Run begins with Jack's struggle as an estranged husband and a challenged father. His everyday concerns become trivial. Sports scores and celebrity news are long gone. Instead, he has to learn what kind of man he is under the hood, in the river, and in the wild. The stakes aren't some office fantasy football pool. Failure means dying, and the deaths of his family.
Run is like taking 28 Days Later, The Road, The Road Warrior, and elements of Resident Evil as a recipe for one suspenseful cocktail. Crouch balances the action with emotion every step of the way. Readers will be pulling hard for Jack and his family; a normal family dropped into a world of unimaginable dangers. The story is incredible. The characters are inspiring, and the whole thing reads like a modern-day action/thriller that is impossible to put down.

Crouch puts the ColClough's through unimaginable hells; upholding his reputation as one of the best suspense writers available in 2011. Run makes the readers range from uncomfortable to downright scared as the author reveals just enough to keep them up in bed, turning each page and awaiting the next horrific event.

The eBook offering from Amazon includes an interview with author Blake Crouch, as well as excerpts from his first four novels; Desert Places, Locked Doors, Abandon, and Snowbound.

2.0 out of 5 stars RUN - away from this book, October 2, 2011
Amazon Customer (Fort Collins, CO) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Run (Kindle Edition)
With all the great reviews, I was intrigued to read this book. The story starts out strong and pulls you into a plot that really never develops. About a quarter way through the book, I thought there would be some redeeming twist introduced that would form more plot substance and stronger characters. I was wrong. If this were a shampoo bottle, you would read the following 1) get in the car, 2) drive wildly though a town thats on fire; 3) get shot at by bad guys, get wounded (but not TOO wounded); 4) Somehow just get away - doesnt matter if it is believable; 5) repeat until you have enough pages to publish.

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent Read, May 24, 2011
This review is from: Run (Kindle Edition)
Even though I mildly enjoyed the story by the end, I had a hard time getting through this book (especially the first 65% of it). Just felt like a lot going on but at the same time, nothing was really happening, if that makes any sense. Lots of scenes and situations seemed repeated and it just got tiring. I also had a hard time getting attached to the characters at all for over half the story, as there seemed more time spent on describing scenery than getting to know them. Not bad, just not what I was expecting, considering the overall review scores.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book was amazing, March 6, 2011
This review is from: Run (Kindle Edition)
Quite possibly the best ebook I've ever read. One of the best thrillers I've ever read.

The book in some ways (tone, pace, some of the story) resembles somewhat Stephen King's "Cellular" - except Crouch writes the story better. From characters you can believe in, to a nonstop break-neck rocketship ride of a plot, to descriptions that are vivid and demanding of attention, this book accelerates you through the story.

Crouch had me at the book blurb. I knew this was a story I wanted to read.

He kept me riveted through the book with his superb storytelling. I devoured all 80,000 words in two sittings, and the only reason it took two was that I had to put the book down at 3am.

DO NOT miss this book. If you like thrillers, adventure stories - if you enjoy a fast paced and well plotted story - this book should be at the top of your list. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping, February 27, 2011
This review is from: Run (Kindle Edition)
Well damn. I don't think I can even put into words how much I enjoyed this book. I'm still reeling from it. All I have to say is that I'm so glad I started this on Saturday because had it been during the week I probably would not have made it into work.

This book has definitely usurped Intensity for the most intense book I've read. I swear my stomach was in knots from beginning until end. Even now after having finished it I'm still trying to settle. I think you can tell a good book from just an alright one when you're finished and you can't stop thinking about it.

Jack is packing up his families belongings and food when he hears his colleagues name and address being called out with direction to kill him. Hurrying as fast as they can to pack their Discovery they hear Jack's name next. Now him and his family are on the run.

Wow. What a journey. This was such an exciting book from beginning to end. The nail biting intensity from this book was almost more than I could take. It was exceptional and thought provoking and is definitely now my number one favorite book. Goodbye Koontz, hello Crouch.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Nice, Tidy Thriller, June 13, 2011
This review is from: Run (Kindle Edition)
I received the Kindle version of Run as a review copy and by the time I got around to reading it, I had totally forgotten what it was about. Instead of reading the book description, I decided to let the story play out without any preconceived notions. And overall, I was very entertained. My blood was pumping almost from the first page, and my being as bewildered as the protagonists really added to the 'thriller' aspect of the book. To say this book is non-stop action is not misstating things - it really IS non-stop action!

But that action did get a little wearing on this reader. I really enjoyed the family's brief respite from running and would have loved to have seen that played out a little longer. But ya gotta keep those doggies movin'! The trouble is that each 'escape' was more outrageous than the last, with the final one being just too perfect. By the end, I was rolling my eyes at the freaky good luck these people have.

Here's one stupid little thing that grated on my nerves (don't ask me why): Why on earth do we need to know that every. single. time that Jack pulled over he turned off the engine? Why? Once, to show he was listening for the bad guys. Perfectly fine. But to do it again a page or two later? Hmm, did he forget that he just wrote that same line? But the third, fourth, fifth times? Too much.

To be perfectly clear I actually enjoyed this pageturner. I've pointed out a couple of things that irked me enough to distract from my enjoyment, but overall, I'd recommend this book to anyone looking to get a rise out of their heart rate.

A note on Kindle formatting: The formatting was very clean. I don't recall any misspelled words but there were a few (very few) spots where the wrong word was used or a word was missing. Just the sort of thing spellcheck wouldn't find. I might have stumbled on those handful of sentences but it didn't distract from the book at all.

If this review gave you information that was helpful, please feel free to click the YES button below!

5.0 out of 5 stars "If you're going through hell, keep going.", March 2, 2011
This review is from: Run (Kindle Edition)
I almost don't know how to start this review - I am still overwhelmed by reading "Run." It has become my favorite of Crouch's books (and that is saying a lot since I have loved his others) and it's become one of my favorite books - bar none.

I absolutely love the very beginning and the ending - best in years. I love the locales - from Albuquerque, through Colorado, Wyoming, and Montana. Wonderful descriptive passages that made me feel like I was right in the middle of the action.

NON-STOP action and terror from beginning to end. Crouch is a master with character development and bringing heartstopping fear to everyday happenings.

I liked the premise behind the changes and I usually don't like books that don't explain the WHY behind occurrences but Crouch did such a superb job with his writing that I got to the end and realized it didn't matter - he handled it that well.

There were heartwrenching moments, passages that outlined the savagery of the human beast at his/her worst, but also hope - for not only the family highlighted but for mankind.

It's too bad that this book is only available on Kindle. Hopefully it will be published at least in paperback in the future so a wider audience can read it. It is an absolute STEAL at $2.99.

1.0 out of 5 stars If You Like Violence...., May 21, 2013
This review is from: Run (Paperback)
If you like violence, this is the book for you. Shooting, stabbing, burning, on and on to the point of complete boredom. The situations only change in the degree of absurdity. They could get killed, but don't, but they could, but don't. The repetition goes on for the entire book. You know they aren't going to get killed, they are totally indestructible. Besides, then the book would have to end.
Then, there is no real ending, it all just sort of stops and you're booted forward 20 years.
I only kept reading it in hopes that something would improve, it didn't. You can save your time by reading the first few chapters and then consider it done. There's 5 hours of my life that I'll never get back. Luckily, it rained all day.

Run