From the Back Cover
* Who made the list of America's top 30 men and top 20 women runners of all time
* How the rankings were determined (and how to weigh in with your own opinions!)
* What were the champions' biggest triumphs and disappointments
* How each one trained before his or her biggest races
* How America can restore its running greatness
Beginning with legends Frank Shorter and Joan Samuelson, this unique book contains the thrilling stories of our country's greatest runners-each a lesson in dedication, hard work, and an untiring passion for running. Draw inspiration from the story of Billy Mills (ranked No. 6, despite his short career), then try out his Tee-to-Greens Golf Course Training method. Or, if you have a goal race, borrow a page out of Lynn Jennings' training notebook: the methodical 4-Stage Buildup System.
Both a compendium of running's brightest stars and a valuable manual of training techniques, this book is a true keepsake and a must-have for all runners.