Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on March 10, 2011
I'm not a runner. But there is a steady message in Mina Samuel's Run Like a Girl that I found helped me stay disciplined in my fitness efforts. Her book takes the form of cases of real women she has interviewed, stories of people with serious health problems or weight challenges or depression. Samuels doesn't suggest that running is the only way to get hold of yourself, but she offers so many inspiring examples I couldn't help but feel I was in a growing community of happier women.
on March 16, 2011
I really can't say enough about this book. As someone who was un-athletic in her youth and dicovered the joy of running and general gym-going in the past few years (late 20s), I feel confident stating that this is a book for everyone - athletes, non-athletes, sort-of-athletes, you get the picture. I was worried that like many books in this genre, it would be a poorly-written, juvenile, kind of cheesy read. My fears were so unfounded - the writing and the message are both well-developed, nuanced, and leave the reader wanting more.

I can't really do justice to this book through a review, but I think the fact that I'm considering buying about a dozen copies to give as gifts to some amazing (both athletic and non-athletic) women in my life says it all. The strength and confidence that I've found through reading this book has really caught me by surprise, especially since I didn't know I was missing any of that strength or confidence.
on March 16, 2011
I had read QUEEN OF CUPS by the same author and loved it, especially its surprising conclusion. Frankly, I was surprised by how much I enjoyed RUN LIKE A GIRL since mehinks I am not a member of the target audience.
It is an important and inspirational work and it resonates in the same way HOPE IS A MUSCLE does. This is my new gift for young women as they graduate from high school, college or when they seem a bit lost.
on May 2, 2011
In less than two months, I have a 1/2 marathon to run. Rain, sickness and a busy schedule have left me feeling low and wary of this upcoming run. "Run Like a Girl" is the perfect read for me right now. It is inspiring and gets me up and out on those runs. It is nice to hear stories I can relate to and feel inspired by. So glad I bought this book at a crucial time for me.
on July 1, 2011
I bought 3 copies of this book after seeing the author on the Today Show. I bought one for me, one for my daughter and one for my neice - to share with her mother, my sister. I've really enjoyed the principles laid out and think they apply for lots of parts of life, not just athletics. Balance is always a struggle and the author does a good job of presenting this idea in all activities. I think it will be especially useful to my 27 year old daughter. One caution: after reading the book I am hesitant to send it to my socially and politically very conservative neice and her mom. My sister is easily offended by views and language that are more liberal in nature than she is. I would take this into consideration if you are buying the book for a gift.
on March 8, 2011
I love "Run Like a Girl!" I'm only half way, but it's already very empowering. I have been in a training slump since my backpack accident last summer, but this book has motivated me to once again do the things that give me joie de vivre. It has real stories about real women who are adventurous and inspirational. I'm going to recommend it to all the women, girls and men I know!!
on April 27, 2011
Mina Samuels does an amazing job showing us how exercise and physical goals can get us through some difficult times in life. By incorporating life-stories, hardship, and accomplishments from many women, including herself, her message is to believe in yourself and never give up. I have shared many inspiring passages and quotes with my children. One of my favorites: "If we can 'see' and own our hopes, dreams, and ambitions, then we are far more likely to achieve them." "Run Like A Girl" is a great read!
on March 29, 2011
Given the choice between exercise and cocktails after a long day, I've always opted for the latter. As I get older and fitness becomes more important, I've been looking for ways to incorporate exercise into my busy schedule. I even dabbled in a triathlon for the first time last year to give me a kick start to building a routine. Even then, I've been a weekend athlete at best.

Reading Run Like a Girl has lit a fire under my derriere! The book is full of insights and inspiration from the author and from the women she introduces in the book (go girls!). While there's a heroic aspect to all of them, each is just a "girl next door" making this book accessible and enjoyable for anyone. In addition to a few practical tips that I will put to use right away, I have the stories and images of the women in my head to access when I need them to cheer me on if training gets tough...or I can't get myself off the couch! I've already bought a couple of copies for friends who could use a gentle nugde towards fitness.
on August 14, 2011
I bought this book bc I am always looking for motivational running books to read. Overall, this is a good book. It certainly outlines more reasons to participate in physical activity than just the usual "to be in shape" or "to lose weight". I did think the author was a bit full of herself- I don't doubt she is an impressive athlete, but I felt as though she reminded the readers of that too often throughout the book. Not reason enough for me not to recommend it, though. I think it would be especially empowering for young women, high school to college age to read.
on July 3, 2011
This book has inspired me to get into running. I am 56 years old, overweight, out of shape and haven't run since high school, and even back then, I only did what I had to do. Running a 5K is now on my bucket list. I signed up for one and am in the process of training 3 days a week now. It's not been easy, but I am making progress every single week. Thanks to this book, I am doing something I never believed I would or could do.