5.0 out of 5 stars An inspiring read to make you lace up the shoes
Published on March 23, 2010 by BostonWriter

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok, but I was expecting so much more....
I am always careful when purchasing something to dig for reviews and see what others like me think of a certain product. This book was one I thought sounded helpful with a bit of fun thrown in and it has very favorable reviews. That's where it stopped for me.

Published on July 18, 2010 by runningshell

5.0 out of 5 stars An inspiring read to make you lace up the shoes, March 23, 2010
This review is from: Run Like a Mother: How to Get Moving--and Not Lose Your Family, Job, or Sanity (Paperback)
I bought this book with a lot of hope and some trepidation. I'm a lapsed runner, and my last serious race dates back to the postpartum year after my first child was born, when I was eager to show myself I still had my athletic mojo. I just had my fifth child, and ordered this book to help me get inspired again. The authors' voices are real, thankfully, and the essays are honest and accessible. The training tips are great, because they're rooted in an understanding all the things mom use as excuses NOT to run. But what got me really lacing up my shoes again was the page full of short quotes by women saying how they feel after running. Powerful. Competent. Strong. Optimistic. It was like a quadruple dose of any of those herbal mood-boosters hocked by health magazines!

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok, but I was expecting so much more...., July 18, 2010

While I consider myself to be an intermediate runner with so much yet to learn, I felt like this book would be better suited for a beginner or someone considering running as exercise or sport. Throughout the book, the authors more or less spoke of their running lives beginning to present with tiny snipets of advice from running moms. I found myself focusing on which author's husbands name was Grant and who was John. And who had the twins? What about the 6 year old girl? I need to be able to place a face with a name when reading anything and feel like I can identify with the author. Not here. I was really hoping this would be a book that I'd want to read over and over and more importantly, I was hoping this book would be one I could purchase for a friend who is running the NY marathon for the first time so that she could find inspiration.

Sarah and Dimity are witty writers but I needed so much more from this book. I needed advice that I'd never heard before or maybe some training secrets to get me to my next PR.

Buy this book if you are a newbie to the sport or are just looking for a little chuckle. Forget about it otherwise. Goodwill is getting my copy...

5.0 out of 5 stars I run like a mother..., June 28, 2011
My brother and sister in law bought this book for me as I've recently dropped over 50lbs (after having 2 kids) and started running. It touches on all topics in respect to running before, during, and after kids. It's wonderfully written, and something I will definitely read again! It's a great read for those who are embarking on this journey for the first time but don't have anyone to ask the questions that aren't covered in running magazines like "what do you do if you need to pee 1/2 way through a run?" or "what's the best running bra for a nursing mom?". I will be buying this book for my mom friends that have also started running!! Great gift idea as well!!

5.0 out of 5 stars So relatable, it's sick!, October 25, 2010
Since finding this book (and blog! and tweets!), I have been completely entertained and inspired and able to connect with a whole new community of runner-mamas.

This book is so utterly relatable, it is sick! Even as a newbie runner! The moments of "O-M-G! That is EXACTLY how I feel" were countless, as a mom, spouse, runner, wannabe writer and overall multi-tasking-life balancer.

The book inspired me, me made me laugh out loud causing my fellow commuter train riders to stop and stare (As soon as I would snort, I would hold up the book so everyone would get a peek...long enough for them to write down the title and and go buy it themselves!)

This is my go-to book for prezzies for my runner mama friends and has saved the day with some much needed inspiration after the oh-let-it-be-over ugly runs.

I savored every chapter like a rich ooey-gooey chocolately dessert and was thrilled to find more even more witty (and oh so true!) writing online through the blog runlikeamotherbook.com.

Seriously, check it out, you won't be disappointed.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's okay, December 7, 2012
The book is entertaining enough but there isn't really anything that you couldn't find on the internet if you research on your own. I wish I had bought Train Like a Mother instead.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun read, July 2, 2011
Fun, entertaining read about the author's personal struggles and accomplishments with running. If you're looking for more step-by-step help on how to get started running, this is not it. It's also not the book for regular runners who are looking for tips. Overall, a decent book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read, November 14, 2010
Karen Hunter (Mansfield, Ohio) - See all my reviews
I purchased this book when I was training to walk/run my first half marathon in my life. As I am not a runner per se I was skeptical about how much this book would pertain to me. I was pleasantly suprised. The book is well written and truly is a must read for anyone who is a ruuner or thinking about becoming a runner. The book is entertaining, informative and fun. It also would make a great gift for a runner in your life.

5.0 out of 5 stars For Female Athletes Everywhere, March 23, 2010
Run Like a Mother feels like one of those conversations you have with a friend on a long run. It's a book that all female athletes can relate to, regardless of motherhood status or running experience. However, for those of us who both run marathons and mother small children, it's an especially relatable book. At times it's part memoir--telling of Sarah's and Dimity's journeys as runners and marathoners (including a few race reports!), and other times it's more like a helpful training manual--giving advice on running gear, nutrition, and staging a post-pregnancy comeback. You won't find a 16-week marathon training plan in here, but you'll emerge from this book knowing what worked and didn't work for Sarah and Dimity as they trained. As a running coach, I liked the technical talk about running 8 X 400 meters and other training-specific tidbits. But as a mother and a fellow female athlete, I think I most enjoyed the deeply personal revelations about body image, weight, marriage, and mothering. I loved the personal essay format. By the end of the book, you'll feel like you have two new friends: Sarah Bowen Shea and Dimity McDowell.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring must read for runners and non runners, August 7, 2012
This is a MUST read for anyone who has even thought about running. I had never run in my life. Truly. Not even half a mile. I don't play sports. On a recommendation of a friend, I read this about a year ago and have now run 2 half marathons! It has totally changed my life. I feel confident, proud, and as the mother of two young children, I know have an excuse for "me" time. I've read both of their books and they are so inspiring. I hope they write more. If I can run, ANYONE can! I owe it all to this book!!

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE IT, February 27, 2012
I found this book while looking for books to download for my son. The title caught my eye, so I downloaded it, but didn't think I'd make it past the 1st page..Boy was I wrong. I wasn't even a runner at the time, and actually thought that I hated running. The authors are hilarious! There were times that I was hold back belly laughs, so my family wouldn't think I was crazy. Their down to earth, honest take on running and all that goes with it can encourage a beginner or someone that has been running for years. After finishing the book, I decided that I could be a runner, and registered for a 1/2 marathon!

Run Like a Mother: How to Get Moving--and Not Lose Your Family, Job, or Sanity