5.0 out of 5 stars Motivational !
Published on May 16, 2000 by Brandi Krug

Published on April 8, 2008 by wagamama206

3.0 out of 5 stars A good book for beginning runners, but a bit basic for intermediate runners, April 8, 2008
wagamama206 (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Runner's World Complete Book of Women's Running: The Best Advice to Get Started, Stay Motivated, Lose Weight, Run Injury-Free, Be Safe, and Train for Any Distance (Runner's World Complete Books) (Paperback)
I am by no means an advanced runner. I run a couple half marathons a year and I average a 9 min/mile pace. This book would have been great years ago when I first started running and training for 5K races. It covers the basics and has some nice pieces on clothing, gear and injuries. I found this book to be comprehensive, but lacking on depth on certain topics, expecially injuries. I think this is a great book for those who are just starting to run or considering their first 5K, 10K and half marathon. However, for those of us who already have miles under our belt and the blisters to prove it, this book may not provide any additional insight that we don't already know.

3.0 out of 5 stars A little disappointed!, May 1, 2008
h.h.m. (St Petersburg, FL) - See all my reviews
I was so looking forward to getting this book. And I was disappointed. It is ok but not quite "a complete book of running" I had taken about 9 months off of running due to pregnancy and was hoping to get motivated again. This book just kind of fell short. I think a "complete book of running" should include some routines, that could help all levels of runners (not just the marathoners that are mentioned) and more specific diet advice. More advice on building endurance etc etc. I think this caters to marathoners and just the novice beginners. I have seen better articles written in fitness magazines!

5.0 out of 5 stars Motivational !, May 16, 2000
I saw an add in Runners World for this book and sent away for it the same day! I had been searching for a motivational women's running book and had no luck finding one, until now! The advice and information provided pertains to both beginners and elite runners, and in my case someone who would like to get in better shape and become a faster runner. It helped to be reminded of just how beneficial running can be both physically as well as mentally. Just to name a few aspects of this book I enjoyed: it provided good advice on how to run and train smart, running programs I can follow without getting discouraged, who (if anyone) to train with, how to set and achieve goals, how to stay motivated and basically how to enjoy one of the easiest, cheapest and rewarding women's sports out there! Another one of my favorite aspects thoughout the book were the personal tips and stories the author provided, I can completely relate to some of her experiences and thoughts on running, both funny and serious. I think this book is a great tool for all women runner's to use and I hope other women can benefit from it as much as I have!

3.0 out of 5 stars A little simple, March 8, 2011
This is an awesome book if you're just getting started running. I bought the kindle version, and I might buy the physical book for my sister who is just getting started as a runner. However, that said, I have been running for a few years and I know how to build mileage and do speedwork and run hill repeats. All this book seemed to have to offer was a couple of training schedules and some mild opinions about general runner-related issues. There is nothing revolutionary or helpful in this book for the intermediate runner in my opinion. I sort of regret purchasing it, but it will make a nice gift for my sister.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK overall, narrow scope, April 22, 2011
I have always enjoyed the insights in Runners World magazine and Runners World online. The information in this book, on the other hand, is not nearly as open and as diverse. While the book does in fact discuss just about every topic related to women and running, it only presents one viewpoint or solution to each. It gives one way to breathe while running, one way to train for a marathon, one idea of how much and what to consume during the day...

While a good reference, it's both "complete" and incomplete at the same time.

5.0 out of 5 stars There is a runner in all of us, even YOU!, March 18, 2004
LuAnn D D "LuAnn D D" (Grayslake, IL United States) - See all my reviews
Although I had been working out for years, my stamina for running was just not there. I researched several running books, and this was by far the best. If you are a beginner, and need the basics, get this book. Age should not be a factor, but as advised-have a physical before you embark on running. I am physically fit, I had never ran, and I did not start until I was 41. There are women who write that they did not even begin until they were in their 60's! The program instructs on how to incorporate running into your workout, starting with as little as 2 minutes! You can do that right? It covers how to choose the right running shoe, how to avoid injury, and what you need to eat in order to maintain stamina for the long haul. Carb's are important here, take note. Dagny covers it all, and speaks from experience. She even covers overcoming the initial "embarassement" of running for the first time, and how to enter your first 5K and finish. I love this book, and still refer to it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Now Calling Myself a "Runner", February 16, 2009
I am a reasonably active person who has tried several times to take up running. The problem is that it is not that easy! This book has been a wonderful help. It forced me to build up my capacity and realize that you can't just go out and run 5 miles. It provided a great starting program, lots of helpful advice and Scott seemed to predict all of the questions, thoughts that would come to mind. Great for a beginning runner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Helpful and Complete, July 5, 2010
This book was exactly what I needed.

I have run off and on for years for "fun", but have never had any real "training" on how to run. I've recently set the goal to run a 5K and I was looking for a book that could teach me both at a beginner level and at an intermediate level. [Just in case I go crazy and decide to do a marathon at some point. :) ].

This book was exactly what I needed. The author starts with the very basic things [like picking a good running shoe]. She gives great training advice and training schedules for beginning runners. Then she proceeds to give advice and help to more advanced runners. The book is very thorough and complete and I think even a very experienced runner could learn some things from reading this book.

I also thought this book was very motivating - it really made me feel empowered to strive for my goal [despite being a somewhat "old" runner at age 40].

This is an excellent, helpful, well written, and easy to read "all purpose" guide for women who want to run.

2.0 out of 5 stars A little overboard with the emotional stories., February 24, 2011
In a way, this book did not motivate me because of all the anecdotes. They were enough to make me gag. As a beginner runner who does not feel that passionate about running yet, it can certainly turn you off. For example, one story is about a woman who just got some bad news about some test results. It goes on to say that the first thing she did was "lace up her shoes and run- with tears streaming down her face, she ran towards the sun set." I don't mean to sound insensitive, but it can be a little overwhelming to read these stories constantly through out the book when you are just starting out and trying to "enjoy" running.

3.0 out of 5 stars complete book of womens running, March 9, 2011
the book is common sense and its reassuring to read that if it hurts, then stop (you're not soft)and that comparing yourself to those passing you is normal but unhelpful. Quite practical tips but bits seem out of date or trivial (seriously, does shaving rash qualify as a running injury?) good advice on how to choose shoes, how to start running etc.. but if you are already anything other than a complete beginner this book won't add a lot of value to you