Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Runner's World The Runner's Body: How the Latest Exercise Science Can Help You Run Stronger, Longer, and Faster
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Melvins Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

on May 28, 2009
I think this book presents a lot of good information, but it shockingly lacks references or a bibliography. The whole premise of the book is that the authors - 2 of whom have PhD's - are reviewing current studies on running. But they don't cite the studies, many of which I would like to take a peek at. How can two guys with doctorates write something and not provide their references? In college we would be accused of academic misconduct for doing that.

Assuming the information is accurate, I think this is a good review. It's a little wordy and blathers on in some places, as if trying to add some meat. For the price, it's worth the read. There are a couple of annoying editorial mistakes, like missing graphics, but that's sort of forgivable.
66 comments|125 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 29, 2009
I think this is a good book for the athlete who is interested in the science behind the training. This book is not for someone looking for a basic training program. It is for the person who wants to know about all the physiological processes involved in running on the cellular level and why things work the way they do.
on October 3, 2009
A fantastic resource for the science-oriented runner. Lies strongly toward the left on the spectrum between peer-reviewed journal and popular press. No bibliography and no citations are a definite weakness. The material is presented in a logical fashion and is readable for someone who isn't accustomed to the peer-reviewed journal format (most people). Challenges many of our cherished beliefs regarding proper training, nutrition, recovery, etc. If you're looking for a day- by-day training guide this isn't it, but if you want to know what the current research shows about training principals, this is for you.
on October 5, 2009
Are you a runner who wants to be enlightened? Then pick up this book, which challenges conventional wisdom in many areas including training, diet, fatigue, and injuries. I have been running for three years and trying to move up a level. This has helped me understand many things about my body and its adaptation to running. I've already seen my times improve. One point I will make is that the information may be overwhelming to a beginning runner or a non-runner who is considering the sport; however, for anyone who has been running seriously even for a few years, you will learn a lot and should be able to make some adjustments right away. The only people who may not be too keen on it are the makers of nutritional supplements and some sports drinks, whose effectiveness the book debunks. Another point is that I read this book on the Kindle, and some of the charts don't reproduce as well on its screen. I suspect that the paper version would alleviate that problem.
on November 30, 2009
Found this book to have valuable information to improve my running; includes info on mechanics, hydration, optimal fueling, mental involvement, weight loss, supplements, shoes (or no shoes), etc. When the science is inconclusive, they say so, which is refreshing. I've run over 85 marathons and 8 ultras, and I still learned a lot from this book -- even took notes to review key points before my next race.
on August 27, 2009
The book had good information and was a big help in some areas. However, the authors simplified some explanations a little to much for my taste. Overall the book is excellent. I recommend Runner's World The Runner's Body to any runner who want's to further their knowledge on the sport.
on February 15, 2010
This book was very good overall. It told me a lot of things that to which I wanted th answer and hadn't be able to find all in one place.

1. NO! muscle soreness is not caused by lactic acid burn. It is caused by microscopic tears in the muscle fiber!

2. There was enough repetition to know which points the authors were underlining. When reading books that have so much information, it is always good to have some things repeated (they can get lost in the way of getting through the whole book).

3. There was just enough technical information to give you the background necessary without turning it into a Biology text. It appears that their journalist co-author (Matt Fitzgerald) helped them to cut down some of the non-essential information. This book was not the least bit bloated.

4. This book could be read in any order if you wanted to skip to the parts that you wanted to read most.

5. There were very useful diagrams of atypical stretches that most of us don't do.

Problems:

1. As others have noted, this book does not have a bibliography-- and that would have been useful if one wanted to look at the abstracts of some of these articles to check the conclusions and sample sizes for oneself.

2. There were lots of good stretching diagrams, but some of the stretches that they described in the text would have been a lot easier to visualize if they had just included a photo. Why not have just been consistent and put in photos for all the stretches described? In this case, a photo really *would* have been worth 1,000 words! Better yet, a *whole section* of photos on stretching (given its importance in running).

3. I could have done with a section on the racial differences between runners. They had a section on East African distance runners, but they could have expanded that section and answered some things about the differing bone profiles of the races.

I broke one of my cardinal rules and bought this book new, but it was much worth it. I also see why the asking price was so high: There was enough good information in it to justify that price.
on January 23, 2010
I throughly enjoyed reading this book. I am a Sports Medicine doctor and these guys were able to teach me something. Funny how myths get perpetuated in society. Of course, product manufacturers also have a stake in keeping the myths going. Highly recommend this book.
on June 22, 2015
This book's title says it all. It actually delivers on its promise. After I read this book, I got stronger and I did start to go longer running sessions.
I learned a lot about running physiology and its one of the books I always consult when I want to device a new training program or new endurance or weight lifting exercises, knowing your body is the secret to success and this book really helped me to better understand it and optimize it.
Also if you want to check out my book Thirsty For Health I would really appreciate it.
Thank you and have a healthy day!
Regards
Andreas Michaelides
on September 12, 2009
Has things in it no other running book contains. Lots of useful tips for staying healthy during serious training for runs. Highly recommended especially if you have ever had a running injury (like most of the rest of us).