Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now Sale

Format: Audio CDChange

on September 27, 2007
Growing up in the 1980's was a treat, because of the music. Bands like AC/DC, Scorpions, LA Guns, Billy Idol were staples on rock radio and MTV. Pop music had a sense of direction, and there was no self-loathing in the lyrics. This band, Airbourne, is a modern reincarnation of early AC/DC and Bad Company, and it hits hard from the get go. The melodies and riffs don't let up, and wow do these songs stay in your head all day! "Runnin' Wild" is the best hard rock song to be released in years, and yes it is the one from the Madden 2008 soundtrack. I purchased this album from an mp3 store but I enjoyed it so much I want the original artwork. There is not a dull moment on this entire CD. It is like stepping into the best moments of 1980's hair metal WITHOUT leaving 2007. The music has a bass-heavy, modern vibe to it, and it is not at all pretentious and it DOESN'T TRY TOO HARD!!! The Darkness and Buck Cherry will be an afterthought once this band hits it big in the US. This CD has renewed my faith in sensible melodic hard rock, and it stands as my lone hard rock album of the 2000's that I consider a classic along the lines of AC/DC's "Back In Black," Van Halen's debut album, Metallica's "Ride the Lightning," Guns n Roses' "Appetite for Destruction," and most notably Def Leppard's "Hysteria."
22 comments16 of 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 31, 2008
After about the 15th comparison to AC/DC, I decided I had to check out this band so I browsed their Myspace page and listened to some tracks. I was blown away by the energy. I picked it up on release day and flipped it into the CD player as soon as I climbed into my truck. Within minutes I had the volume blasting, rattling the windows, and could see myself in the bar raising a pint to these guys on stage. INCREDIBLE!

As incredible as the album is, there's nothing special here....no great guitar riffs, no exotic vocals. Just a kick a** band that likes its rock and roll loud and without compromise. Whereas AC/DC is a little more complex in their song structure (and Angus is way beyond this band in the lead guitar category), these guys settle for the simple in your face approach. The vocals are quite AC/DCish, and remind me a bit of the naughtiness of Bon Scott. The vocalist has a decent sound, nothing like Scott's devilish purr or Brian Johnson's growl, but his sound fits the songs well.

There will be no essays about the complexity of the songs, the in depth meaning of the lyrics....but there will be some good times across the USA in small venues as these guys tear a path across the States. Mates, welcome to the USA, and if you don't come to Albuquerque I'll completely rescind this glowing review and send you all straight to hell :-)
44 comments29 of 33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
For the first time in a long time, it actually seems like real rock & roll is coming back in a big way. New bands are emerging from all over the globe that are bucking trends and making music that is fun and that flat out rocks. Australia's Airbourne are one of the best of this new breed of real rock & roll bands.

Airbourne's sound can be described in one word: AC/DC. This band is following in their legendary countrymen's footsteps in every possible way, from their huge guitar hooks to the raspy vocals to the innuendo-laden lyrics to embracing every excess of the rock & roll lifestyle. Normally I'd write off this kind of hero worship as shallow, but that's missing the point here. It's not shallow, it's gloriously shallow. It's big dumb rock in the best possible sense of the term.

2008's Runnin' Wild is the band's debut, and if ever an album was made to blow out stereo speakers, it is this one. It's one massive rock anthem after another celebrating rock & roll, booze, sex, and having sex while drinking booze and rocking. The lyrics are incredibly silly, but really, who cares? You don't buy an album like Runnin' Wild expecting the next Radiohead. You buy it because it's fun and it rocks, and man o man does it ever deliver. The whole album is fun, but I prefer the faster paced songs. Opening single "Stand Up for Rock n' Roll" is a terrific rock anthem, and the title track is even better.

What more can I say? If you miss this kind of rock, get this CD now!

NOTE: There is an MP3-only Special Edition of Runnin' Wild that includes a full five bonus studio tracks. These songs - "Heads are Gonna Roll", "Dirty Angel", "Hotter than Hell", "Red Dress Woman" and "Stand & Deliver" - are all in the same rockin' style as the regular album, and are just as much fun. The best part is that you can download them individually. I already had the Runnin' Wild CD, so I just grabbed all five bonus tracks for less than five bucks.
22 comments9 of 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 4, 2007
If you like old school AC/DC you will love this!
Catchy as hell!
It will get your adrenilin flowing in a very positive way.
Check out their video for "Running Free" on YouTube!
on February 18, 2009
This is a great package. I already owned the cd, but this set offers the bonus cd track "Hellfire" which they performed live when I saw them live in Allentown, PA. This track is also the opening song on the DVD which IS playable in the US IF you have an all-region dvd player. They are inexpensive and can be found on ebay. The concert is very good and the three videos are also "thumbs up". A one star score is unexcusable due to reviewer's ingnorance...it plainly says "PAL Region 2 dvd". If you are a fan of Airbourne, do yourself a favor and buy this, you won't be dissappointed.
on January 25, 2008
I'm not gonna repeat others, suffice to say this record rocks & sounds really great. A lot of money was well spent on this.

The real strength of this band is their live show. America - you are gonna absolutely love these guys. I've seen them two times over abt 2 years here in Australia & the improvement has been immense. They are loud, energetic, down-to-earth, sound great, & have established a dedicated and fanatical following here at home. For many years I have not seen a pre-gig vibe like I saw for these guys last night.

Unlike The Darkness who promised much but failed to deliver, these guys know what they're on about & what they have to do. I feel the second or third album will break them world-wide, provided they keep improving the songs. This album will be seen as the classic debut that everyone missed at the time.

They are touring the States this year. Go & see them, you will NOT regret it.

Steve.
on November 23, 2007
You very rarely hear it anymore, an album (cd for you kids) that grabs you from the start and doesn't let you go. This is one of the best albums I have heard in 30 years. Coming from this grizzled vet who appreciates every type of music around. The last time I felt that type of feeling is when I put on Back and Black and was blown away at the ripe age of 12. Well friends, this album gave me that feeling. It was unreal to hear a bunch of young guys rocking out like this. Runnin' Wild is one of the best rocker songs I've ever heard. Put the top down, put the foot on the gas cause that's what these songs make you want to do.

I would say the singer is a combination of a Bon Scott/Brian Johnson mix. Best of both worlds for this AC/DC fan.

These guys are going to be huge when they arrive in the States in 2008.
on July 3, 2008
God, this is great music. I just got it an hour or so ago and have already played through it once, so I don't have an in depth review, but God Almighty does this kick a** in the royal tradition of the best of AC/DC. I think after I've played it 10 times I'll still think it is better than any AC/DC since Back in Black. I think even my 49 year old wife was diggin' it. Rejoice! I want more of this now. ROCK!
on November 4, 2007
I had a friend send me a link to there video and loved it from the start, so when he told me they were going to do a show in Baltimore, I couldn't resist. These guys BLEW the roof off the joint. From the opening cords to the final cymbal crash, these guys didn't let up. I have not seen this kind of energy and enthusiasm at a rock show in a long time. Every tune these guys put out is awesome. If you like in your face, fist pumping, sweat soaked rock n roll, Airbourne is for you. These guys are the genuine article. Airbourne is the next big heavy metal band. If you buy Runnin' Wild, you will not be dissappointed.
on October 31, 2007
Just saw these guys open for Kid Rock in San Francisco, and my god, they kicked butt. It was a total flashback to hard rock concerts of the late 70s and 80s. Straight at you, no nonsense ROCK. Loved the entire set and just ordered the CD. Looking forward to plenty of head bangin at home and in the car. Do yourself a favor and indulge yourself in their music. You won't be disappointed. Be sure to catch them in concert, too!