Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Running a Food Truck For Dummies
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon December 10, 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
A surprisingly comprehensive book, akin to something I would see from Nolo Press. To get an idea of what's actually in the book itself, click on "look inside the book" at the top of the product page.

The book is basically a major "to do" list of all the things that you have to think about and address before you get started, including employee issues which are really important, especially for a small business owner. Licenses, food safety, permits, etc., are covered. Don't be tempted to skip over anything if you are truly serious about starting this type of business because it may come back to haunt you. The author has done people a great service with this, because the food business is really hard, and unless you have a fire in your belly for it, save yourself the pain and frustration by not going into it in this way if you are not fully cognizant of what you are getting into.
on January 17, 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I got this book because a friend has been talking up the idea of opening a food truck as a small business. Of course, he knows nothing about starting up a food truck or opening a small business of any kind, so seeing this book seemed providential. I have to say this book was a comprehensive introduction to the complicated reality of establishing a food truck and reading it certainly opened both out eyes about the need to give this process a LOT more thought and research. Highly recommended for anyone considering capitalizing on the recent food truck boon.
VINE VOICEon September 25, 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I got this book on a whim: "Hey maybe I'll get a food truck; looks like fun." I was about half serious, but now I realize I must be a lot more than just half serious.

This book is extremely comprehensive. Though I don't believe the book alone can tell you ALL you need to know, it is more than enough of a checklist to help you navigate some aspects of running a food truck which you probably didn't consider.... but need to.

If you're thinking about running a food truck, this will be the very first or very last book you will buy; the first because if after reading it you still want to go ahead with the task, you'll know where to go to learn more. It will be the last if after reading it, you say "whew, never mind!"

Strongly recommended!
VINE VOICEon May 13, 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
A prospective food truck owner probably has a signature dish in mind and some idea of what, where and how they want to operate their business. Of course, the devil is in the details. Consider this book a dash of common sense that covers the basics, including the myriad of challenges and pitfalls that await new owners in the food truck marketplace.

I had a keen interest in chapter 15, "Mastering Marketing and Public Relations" and chapter 16, "Handling the Art of Social Media." Author Richard Myrick acknowledges the growing importance of social media (Twitter, Facebook, Foursquare, Yelp, Groupon, Living Social) versus traditional advertising methods. The latter three social media services are particularly contentious as food trucks and traditional restaurants struggle with the positives and negatives of digital couponing and online user reviews. For every success story using those platforms, there are as many horror stories of entrepreneurs overwhelmed by coupon-waving zombies that have no intention of patronizing the business beyond the initial offer.

One wish: more than two paragraphs should be afforded to the Kogi BBQ food truck in Los Angeles, a leader in using Twitter as a key marketing tool as well as a prime example of the importance of developing an identity. One more wish: there should be more references to online resources, although Myrick is also the editor-in-chief and founder of Mobile Cuisine Magazine, so that is a handy connection.

Rating: Four stars.

DISCLOSURE: This review is courtesy of the Amazon Vine program, which provides products at no cost in exchange for my independent and unbiased feedback. My objective is to test and review products fairly, providing you with helpful information that improves your shopping experience. This product review was not sponsored or paid for in any way by the manufacturer or an agent working on their behalf.
on September 20, 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This book really does simplify the logistics of starting a food truck business. It's full of helpful and useful information that is sure to help anyone who's looking to fulfill their culinary dreams, while having your own business. I found so many of the chapters essential with so many "little" things you might not ever consider. Definitely a must have if you're looking in to starting your own business.
VINE VOICEon April 7, 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
So before reading this book, I was toying with the idea of opening a food truck. I lived in an area where there was a desperate need for it, and willing/eager customers just waiting for one to open. I saw a need and thought - hey, I can fill this need and make a few bucks doing it too - pretty cool right? Well ... I am so glad I read this book. Opening a food truck is a TON of work - way more than I thought it would be and I am generally a pretty realistic person. If I pursued this idea, this book is the perfect how-to checklist to get started. As it is, I will sit back and wait for someone else to fill the gap.
VINE VOICEon September 20, 2012
I give this book high marks for a comprehensive review of what you will need to start a Food Truck business. Every topic from how and where to buy/lease or rent, conceptual ideas on food and beverages, marketing, public relations, and social media. There is even an overview of guidelines and requirements required to sell food, with further info avail by contacting your local FDA office. Excellent resource.
on April 3, 2013
I bought this book to really see if this business was right for me. It had everything you need to know about the business. It's step by step info has put me into the drivers seat, literally, of a new business. I keep the book with me all the time for reference.
VINE VOICEon September 8, 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I was excited to get this book, as I've been dreaming and contemplating owning my own food truck. There's not much information online or in print about the food truck business. Though, this book covers almost everything you'd need to know to decide if owning a food truck business is right for you. It covers getting started, payment methods, supplies needed, different menus, truck design and catering. It covers all this in a simple, concise way that nearly anyone could understand.

The only thing, I wish would've been touched on more was suggested food order quanities and how to figure out your costs vs prices. It did cover these areas in a limited way, but, I do wish there had been a bit more how-to in this area.

Overall, I'd highly suggest this book if you're interested in having a food truck. It would be an excellent starting point to decide if this is something, that is at all attainable.
VINE VOICEon September 25, 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
"This is it," I said as I opened the envelope that this book came in, "This is our ticket out of here."

My wife was not impressed. "If it's a one-Martian one-way ticket, I'm all for it." (She sometimes says to when I'm deep in thought, "How are things on Mars?")

She fell about when she saw what the title was. "So what is your cuisine for your food truck?"

"I'm experimenting with a kind of Fusion style," I said. "I thought British Cooking in the 1950s mixed with Tex-Mex."

"For instance, Brown Windsor Soup drizzled over Overcooked Cabbage - in a Taco."

If I was really serious this book would dampen my dreams. It is full of sensible advice by someone who's been involved with the food truck business for a long time. Richard Myrick has the details down and tells you all you need to know. I learned that you should expect to work very long hours preparing and selling the food, that you'll need to rent a kitchen from a restaurant creating ingredients (your kitchen just won't do), and how to deal with health inspectors (who in Myrick's experience are not the dragons they are made out to be).

There's also plenty of insider information, like how to co-operate with other local food trucks, and how to get the publicity out, including using Twitter to announce where the truck is at the moment. There's advice on pricing and dealing with local authorities.

Myrick says that there are three million people involved involved in owning or working in food trucks. That seems like a huge number, but living in rural Massachusetts we don't have that many trucks around. In Boston there has been a growth in restaurants specializing in Central American food, because of the large number of people from that area living here. I'm sure by now there would be at least one food truck using that cuisine. In fact, I checked with the City of Boston website and found that there was a total of more than 35 trucks serving over 200 location and times in a week.

I think that there will be a lot more copies sold of this book than actual food trucks on the road, because if you're hoping to get by without important things like a business plan, the book will show you how you'll fail. But if you do decide to go ahead, be sure to come up to the unspoilt areas of the Merrimack Valley on the New Hampshire border.

Just don't serve British Cooking in the 1950s mixed with Tex-Mex. :(