Facility Spring Cleaning Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing SnS

on May 16, 2011
I'm not usually one to write reviews on things, but couldn't resist after reading this book.
The author was an NYPD sergeant who worked up at the Fresh Kills Landfill sifting through debris from the WTC disaster; he has a heart attack, almost dies and then becomes enveloped in the spirit world. You can pick-up throughout the book how he must have always had this gift but it only really came to light after his near death experience. You can see how our lives are planned and the track you are given is all by design.
His stories made me cry and then laugh out loud and then made me realize how fragile life is. His paranormal stories were wonderful and I really enjoyed following him along on his journey of discovering his gift. I loved how the chapters were short and everything flowed so smoothly. Every chapter was another exciting adventure. It's wonderful that he is a practicing medium now and I can't wait to make an appointment and meet him for myself.
I highly recommend this book to any interested in police, mediums, paranormal or just want to read a great book.
on June 2, 2011
A book that is difficult to evaluate. All too obviously written by an amateur, with minimal editing, quite brief, it nonetheless may be worth your while, depending on what you're looking for. The first 86% (the Kindle edition doesn't have page numbers) is a recounting of Lani's life first as a firefighter and then as a law enforcement officer, first in Florida, then in New York City. Those pages are an easy, fast read, and you can imagine that the rough notes a young Joseph Wambaugh might have made when he was with the Los Angeles police department would have contained similar details and stories of police work.
Only the last 14% of the book covers Lani's exploration and development of his psychic abilities following a quite serious heart attack. When you finally get to those chapters, the immersion in the details of his long police career does add a certain credibility lacking in most paranormal books of this nature.
Am I sorry I paid $10 for the Kindle download and spending a few hours reading the book? My answer is a borderline "no". As I say, it depends on what you're looking for. I could make a pretty long list of similar books by bigger names that I've paid more for which I wound up considering a waste of time and money. If you need an unpretentious story told by an average Joe about what happens when the other world starts appearing and speaking to him, then give it a try. Another plus: Lani includes a number of his own "spirit photographs."
VINE VOICEon December 21, 2011
The subtitle of this book - "A Journey into the Paranormal" - is a bit misleading. It was the primary reason I bought the book, and as I read it I kept wondering when I would get to the paranormal discussion. Only the last 10-percent or so of the book deals with the author's experience as a medium. However, I found the author's experiences as a New York City cop very informative and interesting. I do not regret buying the book. It was a very enjoyable read.
on October 14, 2011
I just finished reading this book, Running with the Bulls, by Joseph Lani. I'd like to touch on a couple of different items that truly made this such an enjoyable, moving and heartfelt book to read. First, thank you Joseph Lani for being able to put into words a glimmer into the world of a cop. Ramp that up with being a New York detective sergeant who ends his long, distinguished career at the feet of 9-11!

It is rare to have an author take you through a book as if the two of you are sitting together having a cup of coffee and they are telling you a story.You find yourself right there with him recalling the tiniest of details of a bust or an event.What impressed me the most is that it seems as though this is just a kid from New York, an average Joe if you will : An ordinary guys who finds himself involved in extraordinary events throughout his life and career .Exciting and thrilling to read of such events in the line of duty. You really connect to his emotions of his life.

Then.......9-11 happens. It changes everything for all of us. Here you have a New York detective sergeant on the front lines of hell. Through the experiences. sights and sounds of it's fall out, the author finds himself connected wholly to the spirit world. Outlandish, some may say. The author comes at his experiences in such a surprised manner that you feel like you are trying to figure things out right along with him. Whether you are a believer or not, you cannot read this book without being carried away with the author on his journey of survival and moving on . I'm sure this is the first time I've read any material involving the spirit world from a tough, gritty New York cop. Way to go Joseph Lani!!!

I cannot recommend this book more highly. It's a quick read. It's full of excitement, fear, sadness and triumph.

sincerely,
Laura
on February 15, 2013
I highly recommend this book to anyone who is interested in the connection between the paranormal and near-death experiences. The author kept me reading until I finished it. The story of his job as a member of the NYPD and how he got there was interesting and funny at times. His story of the 9/11 from his point of view is equally interesting. After having a heart attack, he began seeing and hearing the spirits of the dead. He also shares pictures of his family, him on the job, and the paranormal. The latter is amazingly clear and obvious.
on July 25, 2011
This book tells about a time when New Yorkers slept safe in their homes because there was a group of individuals running between buildings chasing vicious criminals, at the time it was normal to go to two police funerals a month, we thought it was just part of the job, years later we find come to find out it was the most dangerous time to be a policeman in the city of New York

Great Job writing the book
on February 21, 2012
I read this book after seeing the author on an episode of My Ghost Story. It was a truly amazing book! I couldn't put it down. I had initially bought the book to find out more about the author's paranormal experiences with the ghosts of 9-11, but even if he hadn't included anything about 9-11, the book would have still been incredible. He also writes about his experiences as a fire fighter and a police officer and some of his stories had me on the edge of my seat and others had me in tears. This is a book that I will never, ever forget.
on March 2, 2012
i was disappointed in this book. he talked a lot about his earlier jobs, but not much on ground zero, which is why i bought the book. thanks
on January 24, 2015
I really think that his book would have been more interesting if he had spent less time detailing his early police career and more time on his psychic abilities and his experiences following 9/11.
on September 5, 2015
Wow! Loved it! Well written autobiography. This book was SO good, I could hardly put it down. I hope he writes a follow-up/sequel. I was very disappointed when I reached the end. I want to know more!