Customer Discussions > Running with Scissors: A Memoir forum

Running with Scissors

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 16, 2007 4:27:53 PM PDT
S. Laster says:
Although I have not read this book yet I find the many negative reviews a bit sad. I find most of the reviews sad because the people writing them seem to be coming from a rather narrow view that if one experiences abuse that one must and should act and feel a certain way. From a therapist's perspective, I would say that humor can often help a person process his past.
It may sound unusual to use humor in this context when talking about sexual abuse or any kind of abuse, but it is the patient's right to use whatever means helps him or her to work through their process out of the darkness of any kind of abuse. Now I realize I need to read the book, but I think the movie gave me a good idea of what the book was about. I would say if writing this book helped validate this survivor's experience then that can only be a good thing, so why judge it?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 19, 2007 6:31:05 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 19, 2007 6:32:29 PM PDT
Hi Sherri,

Your perspective is indeed fair and valid.

And yes, I agree that it is a persons right to exorcise his or her demons of the past through writing, singing, dancing, painting, poetry, working with animals or any other method which works form them. However, when one decides to go public with that material, of which ever form, they open themselves up to the melting pot of social opinion.

I believe Augusten Burroughs, especially given his past, is well aware of how blunt people can be about many things, and by writing and publishing this book, he resigned himself to the fact that not everyone is going to like it.

If indeed he used this medium to deal with his past, that is all well and good. But to take it that step further and publish it, exposing himself, not to mention the movie deal, I think it is now open for review by all - like it, love it or loath it.

Read the book Sherri, and I sincerely hope you like it. I didn't really (as you may have seen my previous post) but hey, difference is what makes the world the place it is.

PS: Read "A Child Called It, The Lost Boy & A Man Named Dave" as a compassionate comparison. Mr. Pelzer definitely gets my vote 1000 times over Burroughs.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2009 2:34:53 PM PST
Pete C. says:
I hope by now you have found the time to read this. The book should come with a label that states how vile and disgusting it is. Don't use abuse as an excuse to supply moronic human beings what "funny" is. This was the worst thing I have ever read and I truly feel sad for us a human-beings that so many people find this garbage as fascinating.

Posted on May 29, 2009 1:25:13 PM PDT
N. Perz says:
#1 The book is a load of crap; it's pretty clear that a lot of it is complete fiction.

#2 Even if it is true, it a poorly written, uninteresting book.

#3 If he want's to perform psychoanalysis on himself, don't rip people off in the process by taking their money and giving them garbage in return.

Posted on May 15, 2014 5:29:59 PM PDT
In an effort to see just how popular nonfiction books on family dysfunction are today, I stumbled upon this title. The reviews of "Running with Scissors" prompted from me the word "madness", when initially I thought it would probably make for an ideal setting where I could easily insert my own experiences. But, it seems, nothing is equal, and, in fact, the story sounds like one of the more unique forms of unhealthy behaviors society has hidden still to this day. Anyway, I bought a copy for postage only. Maybe it will be worth the $3.99 I spent, if I ever get to it. My stack of promises to myself has already reached the ceiling.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  5
Total posts:  5
Initial post:  Jul 16, 2007
Latest post:  May 15, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Running with Scissors: A Memoir
Running with Scissors: A Memoir by Augusten Burroughs (Hardcover - July 10, 2002)
3.4 out of 5 stars   (1,145)