5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite characters come to life
As a huge fan of the manga and anime, I absolutely loved this movie. I love how the writers wove a couple of storylines together, and am very grateful that they included Saito even though he's not supposed to come in until the Kyoto arc.

Published 21 months ago by mickey71

3.0 out of 5 stars Fake copy of the movie but played ok
Published 17 months ago by Brian

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite characters come to life, February 20, 2013
mickey71 "mickey71" (Chicago, IL United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Rurouni Kenshin Live Action Movie [Japanese Audio with English Subtitles] [All Region] (DVD)

The actors are fantastic; truly the characters come to life. Takeru Sato as Kenshin perfectly embodies the gentle goofiness of the wanderer, and then switches to the deadly cold-blooded focus of the Battosai. It's seriously like he becomes a different person. My other favorite standout is Yosuke Eguchi as Saito. He is just SO Saito! In the battle of Toba Fushimi, when he's walking around slashing people while smoking a cigarette...so very Saito. But that is not to shortchange the other actors. They were all perfectly cast.

*****SPOILERS FOLLOW*****

The major arc of the storyline is the Kanryu Takeda arc, but with Aoshi and the Oniwaban replaced with Jin-ei, so those two stories are woven together. The introduction of Sanosuke is abbreviated, but still satisfying. Yahiko gets little screen time, which is just fine with me.

The problems I have with the movie are so picky they're hardly worth mentioning. Probably the most major one is that Kaoru seems more helpless than she should. Sure, she's still plucky and still fights, but she gets rescued a lot. Also, by leaving her out of the fight at Kanryu's mansion, it seems to emphasize that she's not an effective fighter. (I know she was left behind story-wise so she could be kidnapped by Jin-ei, but still.)

I also wish the fight between Kenshin and Saito could have been the full-blown fight from the beginning of the Kyoto arc, but I'm grateful that they had ANY fight scene since Saito shouldn't even be here. Plus, I understand that it was more dramatic then for Kenshin to become the Battosai at the end in his battle with Jin-ei.

I really enjoy the fight scenes, which do NOT seem to be full of CGI effects. I can't say which one was my favorite: the fight at the dojo, the fight outside Kanryu's mansion, or the final battle with Jin-ei. They've all required repeated viewings.

I've read that a sequel is in the works. I really hope it's the Kyoto arc, and that I get the Saito/Battosai fight I want so desperately. Also, PLEASE RELEASE IT IN NORTH AMERICA. I probably would have paid to see this movie about five times in the theater.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fake copy of the movie but played ok, June 25, 2013
Was a fake copy of the movie. It played ok but it wasn't the real movie. Even though it did play just fine on my Blu-ray I would try buying from a more well known person by checking the reviews. They really did try to make it look like it came from the factory but you could tell someone made it by hand. The plastic it was in was wrapped in was very loosely, noting a red flag right away. Then through future inspection I noticed the picture on the disk had glue on it and you could visually see this by looking at the center of the disk. Then on the bottom of the disk you could see small bubbles where this disk was bought at Wal-Mart perhaps and is a burn disk. Even though I knew all of this within a few minor minutes of inspection, I still kept the movie because I wanted to be able to watch it at home on my TV. Just giving an honest review, double check seller for non-fraud movie. Thanks!

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this., September 14, 2013
This movie is NOT licensed in the USA yet. I did not know that when I bought it.

The product that I received was produced in Malaysia. I don't know whether it is pirated, but besides not being licensed in the USA yet, the English sub-titles are not polished or always correct -- the subtitles look like a bit of an amateur operation.

I have inside industry sources who tell me that the official, polished and licensed in the USA version is coming very soon.

Wait for it.

5.0 out of 5 stars As a big Kenshin fan....., February 4, 2013
5 stars is exaggerating a bit. I think that the long term life of a series of live action movies could have been better served by staying a little bit closer to the Anime or the Manga. That said, they did a great job of keeping with the heart of the story and characters. They packed a lot of story lines in as well. As another bonus, there wasn't a painful amount of wire work in the action scenes. In fact, I was surprised how little action there was in comparison to the story-line scenes (a good thing really).

For anyone that is waiting, not being sure if this title really has English subtitles, it does. The translations seemed good to me (not speaking any Japanese) although there was some...interesting grammar.

All in all, this should be a no-brainer for any Kenshin fan. The movie far exceeded my best expectations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic movie, but will wait for the subbed version, December 27, 2012
I saw this movie at the cinema and enjoyed it immensely. As a fan of the anime, it stays reasonably true to the first season of Ruroni Kenshin, however, my wife saw it with me and really enjoyed it as a stand alone movie with slick styling and minimal wire fighting. The sets are stunning and the pace is good with moments of levity that avoid the film becoming just another sword flick.
The only disappointment is that this version does not seem to include English subtitles, so if you're not fluent in Japanese, you'll get nothing out of the film.
I'm sure there'll be an English version soon, wait for it and then do yourself a favour and buy it.

3.0 out of 5 stars "Fulfill by Amazon" .... still fake....., August 20, 2013
J. Ho (United States) - See all my reviews
- NOT a direct review of this movie be careful that this copy of DVD is most likely FAKE!!! -

Okay, it's my fault for not looking careful enough that this product isn't directly sold by Amazon. I just looked at "Fulfill by Amazon" and thought I could trust them....
Then upon receiving it, I immediately knew it's fake copy (and yes, some other reviews from here also pointed it's "Fake"). I lived in Hong Kong for 12+ years and they have tons of these cheap package DVD for sell on street for about $3 or less.
Maybe this is a perfect DVD copy... but fact is, it's still not a genuine product. I've bought those cheap stuffs enough and wish to never do that again if I could help it (especially not when they charge 23 for this...)

If you do a quick google search for places like "Yes Asia.com". You'll see that they have a genuine blu-ray copy! Notice how nice the package compare to images of people submitted here.
And surprisingly that genuine blu-ray cost almost the same as the DVD here! @23 dollars. Notice I've almost never shop there so I am not suggesting you should buy it there either. But you should do some research before paying over $20 for this! I've mentioned this kind of DVD cost $3 in Hong Kong and that's the high price for it! It's even cheaper in China believe it or not!

Anyway..... still my fault for not looking carefully enough... will be more careful next time.

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING!, February 23, 2013
I'm not a fan of live-action movies based off Animes. BUT, This is now in my top 10 favorite movies! The story line may be a little off, but that is no reason to critique such a masterpiece so harshly. This is by far not only a great movie, but one of the best Samurai movies i has laid my eyes upon and probably the best sword fighting I have seen in any movie. Period. If you are a Kenshin fan you will not be disappointed.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what I was expecting, April 27, 2014
I was very exicted when I first saw the Japanese trailer for Ruroni Kenshin, actually it brought tears to my eyes I was so happy. But when I bought this, as soon as I opened it knew it wasnt a true copy. I was disapointed that Amazon would even sell fake copies. While the movie played just fine I was still upset to see it wasnt a real copy. The movie played well but it wasnt real and I felt like I was cheating the amazing actors and stroy writers and giving my money to a pirate. Im not happy about the product, but I loved the movie.

5.0 out of 5 stars ...sword-fighting in flip flops..., August 12, 2014
H. Bala "Me Too Can Read" (Recently moved back to Carson, California, or as I call it... the center of the universe) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Awesome. The wandering pacifist samurai in feudal Japan gets the live action film treatment. As someone who devoured Rurouni Kenshin in all its formats, I'm grateful that they more or less kept faith with the spirit of the shounen manga and the OVAs and the anime.

One hundred forty years ago, before manga and anime, during the chaotic unrest of the Tokugawa Shogunate, the cross-scarred assassin, Battousai the Manslayer (Takeru Satô), cut a bloody swathe in history. In January of 1868, in the mountains of Toba Fushimi, Kyoto, the final skirmish in the great upheaval was fought, and the Battousai slew his last man. He then drove his katana into the cold, hard ground and walked away, forsaking death and violence. But unbeknownst to the Battousai, his sword was taken up by another and thus his reputation of bloodshed lived on.

In 1878, the eleventh year of the Meiji, the era of Restoration leaves a sour taste for some. Money sways the most convincingly. In this time of peace, many samurai are unemployed and become penniless vagabonds. In Tokyo, Kaoru Kamiya (Emi Takei) diligently maintains her father's empty kendo dojo even as she looks to get even with his killer, the infamous Battousai the Manslayer. One day Kaoru mistakes a rurouni - a wanderer - for the assassin. She challenges him, never mind that he swings a non-lethal reverse-blade sword (blade's on the wrong side). It could've gotten really bad except the wanderer manages to save face for both of them. And that's been the way of it for the Battousai, now styling himself "Kenshin Himura," seeking peace but ever finding bedevilment and violence.

With a running time of 138 minutes, it's still not enough room to cram in all that we want. The plot sort of folds in the first two arcs of both the manga and anime, but with the random heavy tweak (one example: the guy calling himself the new Battousai ISN'T a disgruntled student who was years ago expelled from Kaoru's father's dojo). I'm a bit bummed that Aoshi and his ninja clan were scrapped. But, at least, in their stead, we get awesome characters from the Jinchu arc. Mostly, it's a familiar beat: Guilt-ridden drug chemist Megumi Takani (Yű Aoi) runs away from the opium drug lord Kanryuu Takeda (Teryuki Kagawa) and seeks sanctuary at Kaoru's dojo. It'll take the combined forces of Kenshin and the street brawler Sagara Sanosuke (Munetaka Aoki) to fend off the brutal advances of Kanryuu and his army of goons.

If you're a connoisseur of chambara cinema, then you're aware of how repetitive the sword fights tend to get. Gratifyingly, RUROUNI KENSHIN presents combat in steel that is fluid and innovative. The plot device of Kenshin's unshaken refusal to kill inspires sword fights that look so friggin' fresh as Kenshin resorts to creative, non-fatal swordplay to defeat his adversaries. Awesomely, practical effects are in play more so than CGI. There's minimal wirework applied, there only to reinforce the illusion that, yeah, the characters really can execute their moves in a damn blink or slide across the ground with inhuman grace. All of Kenshin's fights are highlight material but you have to give it up for the final two duels. And Kenshin's battou jutsu stance is epic!

You're asking about the tone of the film? Okay, it's not as consistently playful as the anime episodes. Kenshin is more steadily brooding. In a dark, defining moment, a flashback reveals how Kenshin gets the first scar across his cheek. But every now and then we catch glimpses of the cheerfully clueless persona he projects, including his "Oro" catchphrase. The interplay between Kenshin and Kaoru are frequently lighthearted. And there's Sanosuke who wields the antique, incredibly massive Zanbato blade and who doesn't seem to have a brooding bone in his body. The big bad, as played by Teryuki Kagawa, seems straight out of Looney Toons, guy's so camp and over-the-top. And yet there's enough menace in him that you sort of have to take him seriously.

I love that main actors are able to channel the core of what makes their characters distinct. There's enough character development. The film keeps several plates spinning, distractions that keep you invested, whether it's Kaoru's mission to redeem her father's good name or that scary assassin going around bumping off people and calling himself the Battousai. There's a melancholic undercurrent of "the times they are a-changing," as the era of the Samurai gives way to modern progress (ie: western wardrobe and gatling guns). I've very few bones to pick with this movie. Kaoru comes across too much as a damsel-in-distress. The "fight" between Kenshin and Sanosuke is underwhelming. Saito is a throwaway character. And, yeah, the English sub-titles are abominable. But those are minor nitpicks, excepting the crap sub-titles which, admittedly, for some, could be a deal breaker. Considering how often I've been disappointed with live action adaptations of manga and anime classics, I count RUROUNI KENSHIN as full of win.

2.0 out of 5 stars Subtitle was little weird, December 30, 2013
I'm a Japanese, and thought subtitle was mostly little bit weird, and sometimes it was completely wrong. I liked the movie even though I had never read original manga or anything. But I couldn't focus on movie because subtitle was wrong. subtitle was understandable but not perfect.