Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Rush Revere and the First Patriots: Time-Travel Adventures With Exceptional Americans
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on May 29, 2014
In this sequel to Rush Revere and the Brave Pilgrims (2013), colonial-dressing history teacher Rush Revere and his special horse Liberty time travel with students Tommy, Freedom, Cameron (Cam), and even snooty Elizabeth back to pre-American Revolution days. They talk to Benjamin Franklin in 1765 when he tried to convince the English Parliament to remove the Stamp Act. They meet Patrick Henry that same year in Virginia prior to his famous 1775 speech to the House of Burgesses. They have an audience in Windsor Palace with King George III in 1766. They visit with Samuel Adams and Paul Revere in Boston, MA, following the “Boston Massacre” in 1770 and participate in the famous Boston Tea Party. And they get to speak with John Adams and even George Washington at the First Continental Congress in 1774 at Philadelphia, PA. There is a lot of interesting insight into the personalities of these important figures of American history.

Yes, the idea of a time-travelling horse may seem silly to some, but remember, this book is designed to appeal to 21st-century kids and get them interested in learning more about the exceptional history of this nation, so it’s not going to be written in a dry, dusty text-book style of simply reciting names, places, and dates that has turned so many students off in studying history. As with the first volume, the left absolutely hates this book, but looking over other reviews, I found that most of the vile epithets hurled were actually against the author and not against the book itself. Some people kept talking about all the errors, but none were really specified. One person did complain that the work of Thomas Jefferson wasn’t included, but Rush Revere and the First Patriots basically covers the time from 1765 to 1774, and Jefferson’s role in American independence really didn’t become prominent until the writing of the Declaration of Independence in 1776. So there’s plenty of room for him in a subsequent volume.
on March 12, 2014
We loved the book (with historical photographs) but we also loved the audio. Rush's story is both educational and entertaining! Laugh-out-loud funny at times! Liberty (the talking time-traveling horse) is our favorite character. In book 2, Rush Revere, Liberty, and a couple of the kids travel to events like the Boston Massacre, the Boston Tea Party, and even to Windsor Castle to meet with King George III. And we loved meeting historical Americans like Benjamin Franklin, Samuel Adams, Paul Revere, and our favorite, Patrick Henry. We learned about the taxes imposed upon the colonists by Parliament. What a great teaching moment for my kids! And we loved Liberty's Stomp Act song about the Stamp Act!!! The kids were completely engaged! Was that Rush Limbaugh singing on the audio!? My kids have the song memorized now! They keep singing it over and over! Most importantly, this book teaches the value and importance of fighting for freedom! Favorite line: "Only when we are free can we be all that God wants us to be. Only when we are free can we do all that God wants us to do. Freedom is from God. And when we fight for freedom we always fight on the side of God."
1111 comments| 182 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 5, 2014
My daughter has never liked history and has had a hard time with grades in school. She loves this book more than I could have imagined! A great way for her to learn history that seemed boring to her before.
on June 30, 2014
As a history enthusiast, I was so impressed with the interesting details of these amazing American First Patriots. I read this to my 2nd and 3rd grade grandchildren this summer, and I know they will have so much important background for next year's history class and projects. They enjoyed hearing about these heroes and wanted me to keep reading.
I have recommended this to parents home schooling their children and will bring these series to their school. I think these books should be in all schools and libraries. I feel Rush Limbaugh brought these American heroes to life again and children reading his story will have a personal connection to them. He has made history fun to learn.
I was one of the first persons to read and do an Amazon review on this book the same week it was originally released. My review got trashed. Not, I believe, because there was a problem with the review: it was honest and sincere, but because there are so many Rush-haters out there who simply did not want the book to receive any positive credit. I deleted the original review over a year ago.
So, once again, this book has many valuable lessons to be offered to our youth from the understanding of our founding fathers. Limbaugh does a nice job of re-stating these values to modern youth at a time when, regrettably, so many of them are systematically being erased and eliminated from our cultural heritage.
on June 25, 2014
This is the BEST book to learn the "true" history of our great nation! It is written to be entertaining and educational at the same time. It captures children's attention as they enjoy learning. The pages are written on paper that looks antique and is a thicker, stronger paper then I've ever seen in books. I'm getting this and book #2 for all of my children to read to my grandchildren!
on June 27, 2014
Very entertaining book with good history lessons on the first European settlers in North America with the slant in favor of the Europeans - there is much more from the Native perspective which is not covered in this book.
on June 24, 2014
I'm 70 years old ,and still fully enjoyed this view of early American history. It's not often one finds a history that is accurate and still full of realistic characters that is fun. Everyone should read it!
on April 9, 2014
The book is a good read. Facts appear correct and has some interesting new data. Recommand reading this book over the weekend to allow time to reflect how we have gotten to where we are today in our political mess.
on October 1, 2014
This is a great history book for all ages! Kids will love the wise-cracking time-traveling horse Liberty and the parents will love to engage in history as it happened! It is written on a child's level but so many facts and illustrations are added that it keeps everyone interested! I can't wait for the next one!